[QUOTE=Una Persson]
I sincerely doubt there were a “ton of complaints” about Hottentot; I’ll bet there was exactly one, but then I wouldn’t know because I’m not a Moderator.
One thing I do know is that I don’t really care what “M-W” says on this subject. Cracker, white trash, and gringo can be very offensive, end of story. ALL of them have been used as pejoratives towards me, personally, so I sure think they’re offensive. I’ve mentioned that I’ve had it shouted at me, well, I was even physically assaulted by someone who called me a “cracker” while punching me - does anyone think he was attacking me and calling me that because he thought I was a Floridian? Everyone who does, stand on your head.
If we’re going to bend to one poster who is offended personally by one term, then why not others? Isn’t my complaint just as valid as MrDibbles? Why doesn’t my complaint have at least equal weight?
[/QUOTE]
Contrary to your rather disingenuous assertion, we are not in the process of asking for the user name change because of one person’s sensibilities. This is quite clear. The term is offensive at an extreme level to an entire group of people, a fact which is confirmed from several sources. Presumably, **Mr.Dibble ** isn’t the only user who could be offended by use of the term; it’s possible to offend people with pejoratives even if it doesn’t apply specifically to them. I would object to any use of the term “nigger” as a username, and I’m not remotely within the category of people at which the term has been traditionally directed.
Thus, the precedent set is simple: if a user name utilizes a term which is both objectifiably pejorative/quite offensive, and is offensive to one or more users on the Board, the Board will request a change. This sort of standard for measuring things is not unusual.
With this in mind, if a term is not objectively verifiable as being highly offensive to a group of people, even if it is highly objectionable to a single poster, it won’t fit in the same category. Which doesn’t mean it won’t result in official action, just that the standard will be different, given the inherent difference in the factual pattern.
What surprises me is the level of invective and emotional unhappiness with the relatively simple request from Mr.Dibble. I can understand the Poster Formerly Known as H**** Venus** being mildly miffed; for her it’s a personal issue. I simply cannot understand why so many others feel it so important to get outraged at the concept of what was asked. But, I suppose it isn’t the first time around here I’ve been disappointed with responses from the community. :dubious: