May Og help me, I want to order those Hee Haw DVDs

I’ve seen the infomercials for a few weeks now and, dammit, I’m tempted to order them.

I grew up watching this show (not by choice, but when there’s only one TV in the house, the parental units get to choose). Looking back, it wasn’t as bad as I thought.

True, it was chock full of corny jokes, but the musical performances were pretty good. Amazingly, the show ran for nearly 25 years. Twenty-four of which were in syndication. I don’t recall seeing it past the early 80’s, though.

Heeeeeeee
Haaaaaaaw
Hee-hee-hee
Haw haw haw

‘Call BR-549’

‘Saaaaaa-lute!

Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep dark depression
Obsessive misery
If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all
Gloom, despair and agony on me!

Yeah, I used to watch it when I was a kid. I didn’t know it was being released on DVD, and haven’t seen the infomercials.

I used to love to watch the show. But not enough to pay to watch them again.

Where, where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over,
And thought I found true love.
You met another and
Pbbbblt! you were gone.

I’m amazed at how much of that show I remember just by reading song lyrics in this thread. Actually, I’m amazed at how much I was able to block out until now.

Reminds me of Saturday night at Grandma’s house–we watched the double feature of Hee-Haw and The Lawrence Welk show.

That makes me nostalgic. Ugh. Getting nostalgic for things you hated is annoying. I almost bought a Carol Burnett DVD the other day because of it.

I still sing that stupid “if it weren’t for bad luck” song once in a while. I hated Hee Haw so much!! Gah I want to see it again right now.

Just reading the thread title made me laugh out loud (more like snorting). I’ve also seen the infomercials, and thought about buying them … so far, Mr. Del has managed to restrain me.

Reminds me of Saturday nights at Grandma’s too.

I sat here singing word for word the “Why Did You Leave Me Here All Alone ?” song while combing thru HeeHaw.com… made me think of Junior and Lulu, so I had to check it out.

It really was pretty good as far as the music entertainment went. A lot of big name stars are listed on the Guest Star section of the website. And I did have a big crush on the Hagar Boys… they probably perform in Branson MO now.

Good times…

Good God almighty. It’s 3:30 a.m., and I just saw the last few minutes of the Hee Haw infomercial!

I’ll spare you my opinion of the show – from when I was a kid and from right now that I’ve seen some of it again. But I have to say something about pitiful old Roy Clark, the infomercial pitchman.

My God, what did they do to the poor bastard? His cheekbones are rouged up like a turn of the century hooker, his eye sockets are as white as clownface, and his hair looks exactly the same as when the show was on the air.

Jeezus. They charge something like $120 for the collection. Couldn’t they have hired a better make-up person than a trainee from a funeral home?

Oh we’re not ones to go ‘round spreadin’ rumors
Oh really we’re just not the gossippy kind
Oh you’ll never hear one of us repeatin’ gossip
So you better be sure to listen close the first time!

I wonder if Netflix will carry the Hee Haw DVD collection? :smiley:

Fascinating program, much underestimated and never reproduced.

You see they recorded all the (say) cornfield jokes in a couple of takes in one afternoon. Same with the Hometown Salutes.

Then they recorded all the music as the acts cruised through Nashville. As a result they got all the good acts. Wonderful idea, well worth doing again.

I remember this show as the mother lode of girl watching. Well, except for Lulu Roman. Some of the musical performances look to be worth getting, like Conway Twitty and “Hello Darlin’”.

Actually, that’s one of the reasons I want to get the set, or at least that episode. That’s the kind of song that if you drink, you’ll get drunk listening to it and if you don’t drink, you’ll start.

Some of the discs are available from Amazon. Volume 2 looks interesting (to me, anyway), has Jean Smith singing “Slipping Away”, another of my favorite C&W songs.

Yeah, that Minnie Pearl was pretty hot. :rolleyes:

I just want to second the recommendation that you try to rent them before you go and buy the whole set. Nostalgia can be a bitch. Not much worse than thinking it’d be funny to hear that “where oh where” song one more time for old time’s sake, and then $150 later remembering why you hated getting stuck at your grandmother’s house on Sunday nights.

(My grandmother’s house, of course, having been in Decatur, GA, population 18,172. Saaaa-lute!)

Yup, they have the whole thing. And, Og help me, I just added it to the queue.

Dude, me too, priority very high.

TeaElle, from Scary Rural Backwater, Mississippi, population 14, 120. Sa-lute!

Oh how I hated that show, and I don’t remember if I was forced to sit through it at grandma’s or when dad had control of the tv.

The only think I really remember was being fascinated with some blonde…simply because you always saw the back of her head while someone was performing and you knew she knew people were watching the back of her head, so she would intentionally sway her head back and forth so you could watch her blonde hair sway with the music. Like some sort of hypnotic, Breck metronome.

I still have a Misty Rowe (?) poster from when I was in college. She was hot. It’s hanging in my garage now.

In some training materials that I use for workshops we give a bad example of the use of professional jargon in reporting test results. It reads something like, “The patient scored an SS 71 on the BR549.” It was kind of an in-joke for those of us of a certain age.

Last week a trainee asked, “What is the BR549?” There was a definite generational split between those who had heard of Hee Haw and those who knew the band BR549.

As of yet, no one has figured out that the names of the patients are:

1. my dog’s name;
  2. the names of characters from South Park.

It’s fun to be a presenter.

whistlepig

Hey grandpa! What’s for supper?