Hee Haw!

I’m a pickin’ . . . and I’m a grinnin’!

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a Hee Haw thread in Cafe Society, and I won’t stand for this state of affairs any longer!

So what do you remember about this cultural gem?

Where oh where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over and I thought I found true love,
but you met another and pffft you were gone.

The loose plank in the fence rearing up and hitting the girl with the well-packed cutoff jeans in the butt, as punishment for some lame joke.

Grandpa Jones

The Hagar Twins

Buck Owns and Roy Clark

Junior Samples (dial BR-549)

Minnie Pearl (How-dee!)

Guys with spoons.

A haystack.

SALUTE!

Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

I am simultaneously proud and ashamed for remembering that.

Oh nurse Goodbody?
Yes, Doctor.

Empty Arms Hotel!

This is Charlie Farkeson with the KORN news report.

Stringbean’s letters from home – “Got it right here next to my heart,” after which he’d pull the letter out of his asspocket.

All the jokes in the cornfield – sort of the Hee Haw version of the Laugh-In swinging parties.

Hey Grandpa! What’s for supper?

The guys laying on the porch with all the hounddogs in the background.

Camilla Hutton
Misty Rowe
Barbi Benton
Sunshine (can’t remember her last name)

Hee Haw had the babes way before Benny Hill ever did.

Now excuse me, I have to go put the truck up on blocks in the front yard.:rolleyes:

I am waiting for Eve to admit that she was a Hee Haw fan.

An earlier thread on this subject

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=96111

Pardon me, Doghouse, bu that line is “and pffft, you was gone”!

I was in Nashville last fall, and went to see the Grand Old Opry at the legendary Ryman Auditorium.

Yeah, I was feelin’ pretty damned Hee Haw…

Now we’re not ones
To go ‘round spreadin’ rumors
Really we’re just not the gossipin’ kind
No you’ll never hear one of us repeating gossip
So you better be sure
and listen close the first time!"

Here’s a couple names who haven’t been mentioned yet: Lulu Roman and Gaylord Sartain. Didn’t Gaylord work at the Empty Arms with Roy Clark?

BR549

The important question is: Why are CMT or TVLand or any other stations NOT running this show? The humor may be “Cornball” (pun intended), but the guest stars and the musical acts were top-notch, a-list stuff!!!
I’ve been trying to catch CMT running the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour and when Buck Owens and Glen Campbell did "Pickin’ and a-Grinnin’ " that was the S**T!!!
Made this current batch of “Country” artists look like the lame poseurs that they are.
Hmm, maybe that’s why they won’t run it.
Hmm…
Chris W

Hear, hear!
This thread has brought back memories. I can remember being five years old and having a crush on that short haired blonde in bib overalls. I think she did the “This has been a ____ production y’all” thing at the end.
I am surprised there have not been any comments about Kathie Lee Gifford being on the show yet.

Phil beat me to it – I sing this one all the time. My father was a huge Hee Haw fan. It was so lame, but fun. I do wish CMT or TVland would rerun it. I’m sure it would simply horrify my 15 year old daughter who is a giant country music fan and who takes it all way too seriously.

Jess

A slight nit, but her name is Gunilla Hutton. She’s Swedish.

Oh, the shame of my past…

We had five channels on TV growing up before cable. Two of them (they were techincally in two different markets) used to show Hee Haw at the same time on Saturday night. I used to love it when they would sometimes show different episodes so I could flip between the two when someone came on that I hated. Like the perky blonde in the overalls, sorryjcmckaig.

I always liked Archie Campbell, so funny, even more so when I got older and actually understood more of his stories.

“If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all,” is still a catchphrase at work. I heard it last night, as a matter of fact.

TNN rans reruns a few years ago, before they went “national” as it were, but they ran it kind of late, for them, on Saturdays. I don’t think they promoted it much either. CMT should jump on it. Or maybe TVLand could create a country-themed block with Andy Griffith, Green Acres, and Petticoat Junction.

Another “hear hear!” on this one.

I used to watch “Hee Haw” as a kid, but until I met my husband (who is a damn fine guitar player) I had no idea that Buck Owens & Roy Clark were actually damned talented musicians. I just thought they were “those guys from Hee Haw.” Glen Campbell, too. That man is a <I>gooooooood</I> guitar player.

I agree, I remember being a kid a looking forward to Hee Haw coming on. I remember my father quickly leaving the room as soon as he saw what was on.

I used to watch Hee Haw at my grandparents’ house. I used to curl up on their bed and watch TV until I fell asleep, and Hee Haw was one of my favorite shows from ages 3-5 or so.

Good times, good times.

A grat embaressment for Nashville. <shakes head> :o

I think Roy Clark is in the Guitar magazine Hall of Fame, along with Chet Atkins, Steve Morse, etc. Can anyone verify that?
RR

Would you care to substantiate that remark?