MAY we have a new Mini-Rant thread?

We can try to talk to her again, but this wouldn’t be the first time.

You know from her late arrivals that her breaks are going to get longer and longer and your husband is going to have to choose between watching the kids and doing his job. Your nanny is getting your husband to be her nanny - and you’re paying her for the privilege!
You and your husband have bent over backwards for this nanny - you’ve been way more than fair - she has to go. No more talking.

Hmm, I wasn’t aware you already talked to her. Then yeah, since she hasn’t gotten her act together by now, you’re more than justified to give her the boot.

When you let her go, I also suggest having the talk be in a public or semi-public area where you can record the interaction with a hidden camera/webcam. This way, you can defend your side of the story if she ends up trashing you on social media, or worse, spinning outright lies to your connections. But first check the legality of that in your state, though.

Yes, I’m the type of guy who expects the worst from other people.

If you’ve talked with her before and laid out your expectations very clearly (we need you here at this time, need you to do these things, and cannot have you doing that thing) then it’s time to let her go.

You may need to have one more VERY black and white discussion about what is and is not acceptable, and put a pretty short limit on the time in which you need to see those changes. 2 weeks at most, I’d say. I’d also make it clear that unless those changes are met you’ll have to let her go.

Had that happen as I was drifting off to sleep last night. The loud clapping sound was the toilet seat lid falling down in the adjoining bathroom. :poop:

Here’s a “May The Fourth” mini-rant.

It’s Revenge Of The Sixth, not Revenge Of The Fifth. We already have May 5 set aside as Cinco de Mayo.

Agreed, GL.

So…my mom. She’s been struggling with depression for quite a while now. She lives out in bum-fuck nowhere, looking after my grandma who has dementia. Our other family recently moved away from there, so she’s on her own. And this little black kitten shows up. Mom tells everyone she hopes that kitten will go away, because although she loves animals, she’s got enough on her plate right now. Well, we all know how this story goes, right? Next thing you know, that kitty has a name and a loving home.
About a week ago, the kitty went missing overnight. Good news, the kitty came home the next day! Bad news, the kitty has developed a problem: a hard tilt to the left, with difficulty walking and eating. Mom’s having her own health problems, so she can’t get the kitty right to the vet. But she prays real hard, and the kitty starts to show improvement.
Monday morning Mom finds that the kitty has drowned in the pool. He had a water dish, but always preferred to drink the pool water and must have fallen in. Mom said, “I loved him so much for such a short time.” :broken_heart:
FUCK :infinity:

And we need a holiday between Cinco and NoPantsDay tomorrow.

If there’s nothing on 5/6, it’d be like Holy Week with that Saturday:

Maundy Thursday (the last supper)
Good Friday (crucifixion; didn’t seem all that good at the time)
Nothin’ Saturday (nothin’ except depressed disciples)
Easter Sunday (“Ta-da! And for my next trick…”)

Oh, jeebus. :frowning:

Can we get Mom a new kitten, stat? There’s so many that need homes.

I guess she really isn’t in the best situation to take on a kitty right now. But damn. It was like the cosmos sent this one to hurt her.

Why is there a pool there? If a cat can drown in it, so can Grandma with dementia.

It’s grandma’s house. She doesn’t get around much now.

I had a job where I was on call 24/7. (which sucked) I had to keep changing the ring tome because I would dream the song it was set on and jerk awake in a panic.

the owner of the company couldn’t understand why I was late to work when I got calls while getting ready in the morning and while I was driving to work. We finally set that my manager was in the office at 7am and I started at 8, if someone needed assistance between 7am and 8am they would call her, so I could shower and drive to work in peace. I couldn’t go see a movie, I had friends I couldn’t go to their house becasue I didn’t have a signal and I had to carry an old HEAVY laptop anywhere I went in case I got a call. Over the road dispatcher for a small company.

I feel for you… and now you can feel for Bruce. One of my neighbors.

Imagine being on call 24/7 back in the days before cell phones, when the only option was a landline. His boss wouldn’t stand for a pager; when he called, Bruce had to answer!

He did made a deal with his company that he’d be “out of touch” on Sundays, so he could do all his shopping and errands for the week.

He could come over and say hi quick, if he had his phone (with its absurdly long cord) out on his patio, with its extra-loud ringer.

Back in the day, I remember my pager going off and having to search for a working payphone. :sob:

In the 80s I had a neighbor whose job was regular cleaning and maintenance on some sort of machine at a nearby hospital*. It only took a half hour, but had to be done every eight hours, 24/7/365. So he only had to work 1.5 hours a day, but his entire life was dictated by it.

*The guy was a total stoner, so the details were kind of hazy. And for all I know he was making it up to explain money he made dealing weed, which he also did.

I just found out that one of my nieces and one of my nephews are not planning on getting vaccinated for Covid. The niece’s husband is a full-blown MAGAt and apparently is convinced that the vaccine is some sort of plot, and the nephew’s wife isn’t much better.

This is going to put a serious crimp in any plans for future family get-togethers, as one of my other nieces has myositis and is on immunosuppressants.

Celebrity gets treated like a normal human being, makes headlines:

I like that Sandler didn’t act all, “Do you know who I am?!” He was told they were busy and he just shrugged and left like a normal person.

I’m just curious how this became a story. I’m sure it happens all the time. If he didn’t make a big deal out of it, who did?