MAY we have a new Mini-Rant thread?

IHOP is apparently making a big deal about it, and so is CNN (at least big enough to write about). FWIW, my disdain is mostly for CNN here.

I’m still waiting for the Wyndham chain to make a big deal about doing shitty job reigning in its franchisees.

Huh??

It sounds like IHOP saw Sandler’s tweet and decided to parlay it into a positive promotion.

“Reining.”

That is all.

I dunno, if IHOP is acting as a monarch over its franchise vassals it would be reigning,

Well, I DO know, so just take my word for it. The expression is based upon a metaphor for controlling a steed or draught animal, and NOT for exercising control over a realm.

That’ll be my minirant for the month (also, the past tense of the verb “to lead” is “led.” Just because it’s pronounced the same as the element doesn’t justify spelling it the same).

I say, that was a joke son. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Of course it’s supposed to be “rein”. I was positing a scenario where we may have a pancakocracy led by a syrupy sovereign as humor.

Do not even mention the “lead/led” confusion. I will lose my damn mind over that one. It’s worse than nails on a chalkboard. And I see it far too often.

I am in a canton which had everybody register for their appointments. I am registered. I have to wait my turn. There’s nothing else I can do to get moved to the front of the line.

I am tired of waiting. I want to be vaccinated!

It was actually the hostess who realized that she just turned away a Hollywood big shot, from an IHOP, and posted about it by making fun of herself. Sandler was uninvolved until it had already gone viral.

Can’t Swiss nurses be bribed with really good chocolate?

I don’t suppose you can go on a little car tour of other cantons? (Maybe there are extra shots over in the southeast where they speak Romansh…) Or over the border in Germany or Italy or France… or Lichtenstein!

Or you can be a good little Schweitzer and enjoy following the rules.

The vaccine doses are distributed according to the population of each canton, so most cantons are only accepting residents. Some will accept people work in that canton, but I both work and live in the same canton, even before I started home office. There’s only one canton who is accepting people from other cantons, and it’s not close to me. I would rather wait than have to travel across half of Switzerland (twice, since it’s required to get the second shot at the same place) for the vaccine.

I am probably weeks away from getting vaccinated. Hopefully. But I don’t know. And people who are getting appointments in other cantons are getting appointments for June. I will only know my appointment one week before the first shot, so there’s a chance I might get my first shot in May.

It is a big deal. Sinatra had his own table and personal jug of syrup at IHOP.

Weirdly offensive clickbait of the week: proclaiming Steve McQueen the world’s oldest celebrity at 106.
He’s been dead for over 40 years and wouldn’t be 106 if he was alive.
At least they’re not showing a photo in his prime with the tease of “this is how he looks now”.

Gruetzi! I’m raising a toast to Die_Capacitrix and everyone else who, while waiting for a shot, are being careful and not infecting themselves or others.

Prosit!

I’ve got to say, being vaccinated hasn’t changed my lifestyle at all. I still act like a hermit, make mad 5-10 minute dashes into stores, and mask up inside and out (I figure I’ll try to at least look like a good example, even out biking… the perfect Distanced Sport, by the way).

Now, I’ve found some great bars with outdoor seating, but not one with TVs outside to watch baseball on… that’s my current quest.

I’ll allow it.

Seems like a huge character flaw in a drinking establishment!

Yes, Cheers, @Die_Capacitrix . Stay tough and get vaccinated. It’s worth the effort.

Connor the Cat has a fun new hobby: dragging the water bowl across the room. I wouldn’t mind except when he does it the water gets all. over. the. floor. I had a heavy ceramic water bowl. He dragged it across the floor. I put it on a mat. He dragged the mat across the floor. I replaced it with a dog water bowl with a rubberized ring. He drags that across the floor.

There’s nothing I can do short of nailing the damn thing down. He’s sixteen pounds (muscle, not fat) and very strong.

Yeah, you’d need mighty big nails for a cat that size.

So, this pic of the Traveling Wilbury’s at their prime has sent me in a tailspin…

Imgur

Ok, but are you going to to tell us why?

Is it because most of them are now the Travelin’ on to another plane of existence Wilburys? (Could’ve added Del Shannon to that category, too.)