MAY we have a new Mini-Rant thread?

NO, IT IS BECAUSE IN MY HEAD I’M NOW OFFICIALLY OLDER THAN ROY ORBISON!

:neutral_face::expressionless::disappointed::persevere::confounded::sob:

(Complete sentence found here, apparently.)

Dude, I was stoked when I outlived Jesus… maybe you could feel like you won… (“In yo’ face, Mr. Blue Bayou. I’m alive and you’re not. Who’s Cry-ee-i-ee-yin’ now?”)

Dammit, in my head I’m still 37. Leave me alone. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m vaccinated but still mask up, even though I’m sure the risk of transmission is zero point nothing, mostly because I’m trying to help normalize mask wearing, but partly because I don’t want to be mistaken for a Republican.

I love my mother. I am happy she is here. I know that her cognitive skills are failing, so I try to be patient, but I swear that the next time I find an empty box or bottle in the cabinet I’m going to beat her with it.

The worse part is that it effects her more than me. She likes to have a few crackers and a slice of cheese for an afternoon snack. I noticed that she hadn’t done that for a few days and when I asked if she would like me to bring her some, she said we were out of the crackers she liked. If the empty box had been thrown out or even left on the counter, we would have known that she didn’t have crackers. Damnit.

I made a lovely quiche yesterday afternoon. Then I needed to go out to the barn for a while, so I put it in the microwave to cool, where the dogs couldn’t get it, and surely I’d find it there later. But NOPE. Somehow we never opened the microwave again until this morning and now my quiche is just a big food poisoning pie. :cry:

Mrs. Cheesesteak and I have ruined enough stuff this way that we now have an official procedure for using the microwave to keep things away from the pets. A dish towel must be wrapped around the handle. Way too stupid and obvious looking for anyone to think it’s supposed to be that way.

Next time! :woman_facepalming:

Done EXACTLY that with leftovers more than once.

Arby’s (at least the local one) has discontinued onion rings. Whatever is the world coming to? Life might simply no longer be worth living. { pose of woe }

I read that as an Arby’s selling old onion rings that have been discontinued.

Glad I reread it…

I’ve always been so taken with their curly fries that I didn’t even notice that they HAD onion rings.

So, I am in the process of moving and changing my address on my thousands of online accounts. I have been encountering lazy programming on a number of sites regarding entering the address. There is no excuse for a major company to put out sites with this lazy programming and the fixes are easy.

1. I should be able to enter a zip code and have the system populate the city and state. I should not have to enter the city, state, and zip code separately. Nor should I be able to enter an invalid combo. The look-ups for this are readily available and easy to program.
  2. I should be able to enter a street name with a mid-word uppercase letter (e.g. McCall) and save with upper/lower combination that I entered. The system should not reset my entry as initial cap (Mccall). Again, this is an easy to set field formatting rule.

So, to anyone reading this (I am assuming the number is vanishingly small) who is responsible for creating an address entry form for a website - please make sure you take these suggestions into consideration.

Chuy’s (not just our local one) has been running a severely limited Pandemic Menu for many months. Now it turns out that the limited menu will run indefinitely, and a number of offerings are not coming back, ever.

Sigh. We’ve moved on to other Tex-Mex places (including non-chains) that are somehow managing to have much more varied offerings.

I work for a NYSE traded company with validation rules for the name field which are so restrictive I wrote the IT department a memo saying they could be misconstrued as inherently racist:

1. All names must have 3 characters. Sorry, Mr. Ho and Ms. Li!
  2. No special characters, so Mr O’buka, you’re now Obuka. That’s the rulez.
  3. Max 25 characters for last name, so any Indian clients out there with hyphenated names, you were just fucked.

I wrote 'these validation rules were written by someone who thinks all names are English-standard, like ‘Sam Johnson, and they should be revised for the simple fact that we also have clients with Chinese, Indian, and African names, representing over 3 billion human beings.’

They did change the rules after that.

I’m cool with #1 (zip code lookup), although it would actually point me to the wrong city (my zip points to “North Foobar”, while I live in “Foobar”).

#2 is a bit trickier - I would guess that most mid-word capital’s are a typo - but I guess in the end someone having “ElmwOod” instead of “Elmwood” (which they can hopefully correct) is preferable to an actually wrong Mccall.

Except that some zip codes straddle more than one municipality (mine straddles FIVE). The user has to specify which he lives in.

Yes, and the lookup table can be constructed to allow for selection of valid municipality. Easy peasy.

I think it’s regional. I never saw them on the menu around here (greater Seattle area) and when I visit the Arby’s web site for Canada it is still on the menu.

Arby’s Menu Canada

Arby’s Menu US

If I’m getting a side item, I’m all about either their jalapeno bites or their mozzarella sticks.

Honey, I’m ELEVEN YEARS OLDER than Roy Orbison.