Mayonnaise: Hellman’s vs. Duke’s

I think I’m gonna go that route as well. With my luck, I’d get to the #@# Walmart and they’d be out. Why risk it?

Homemade mayonnaise is still by far the best.

My wife makes it for large family cookouts. She uses a blender. It’s worth the extra cleanup when you’re serving 20 burgers.

Make it just before cooking the burgers. We throw out any that’s not used.

Oh, buy fresh eggs the day before and use in the receipe.

Homemade mayo is safe if you take common sense precautions.

I can make my own better. And cheaper!!!

With blackjack! And hookers!

It does.

I’m surprised, btw, about your comment on “tangy”. After all, mayonnaise is vinegar and egg and oil, often with a little mustard to season it. Between vinegar and mustard, I’d be shocked that any mayonnaise isn’t at least a little tangy. :confused:

https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Mayonnaise-Sugar-Free-Individual-Great-Tasting/dp/B074V9NGC8/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1541376476&sr=8-3&keywords=duke's+mayonnaise+packets

Duke’s is the king of non-homemade mayos for me. Aside from the taste, I also think the texture is superior to other brands: more smooth and creamy.

I have a difficult time believing this is worth the trouble or the mess. But that’s just me.
mmm

Homemade mayo is worth the trouble and the mess, assuming you need more than a tablespoon or so of it. I make it for certain things - as a base for dips & sauces mostly.

But it doesn’t keep long in the fridge, a few days at most. So I rely on the jarred stuff for the occasional sandwich spread or whatever. But homemade mayo is glorious, there’s no doubt about that.

Oh, and you can make it with less mess with a whisk and a bowl. It’s more of a technique than the blender method, but it’s not THAT hard to do it manually.

No more mess than anything else you make in a blender or food processor. I use a food processor myself - mix the other ingredients for a few seconds, and then I take wax paper and make a deep well in the feed chute. Punch a pencil lead-sized hole in the bottom, start the processor, and fill the well with oil. The oil slowly drizzles into the mix, emulsifying it into very good mayonnaise. No muss, no fuss.

Hold the Mayo yuck.

And the acid component doesn’t have to be vinegar. Lemon juice is quite common, too. Mayonnaise is supposed to have tang to it! It is pretty much a much more heavily emulsified and eggy salad dressing/vinaigrette. Or at least that’s how I think of it.

I’ve tried them all, and I like Hains safflower mayo the best of all. I hate the taste of soybean and canola oils.

Actually the mustard is there as an emulsification aid, as much as a flavor addition.

But yeah, mayonnaise should be tangy- the main ingredients with flavor are vinegar, egg yolks and mustard! (the oil is supposed to be neutral)

Is it possible to make mayonnaise with butter instead of oil, or would it solidify?

You’re basically going into Hollandaise territory there. But, yes, I think that is the problem you would run into. I’m looking online, and I do see recipes for “butter mayo,” but they all seem to say “use immediately” or to put it into warm water to soften, so there does seem to be an issue with consistency.

OK, I’m willing to take your word for it. But I have to ask; isn’t the clean-up all…oily??
mmm

To me, anything using a blender/food processor is a level of cleaning in itself. They have far too many parts to clean up compared to a bowl & a whisk.

Depends on how messy you are!

I usually do some variation of throwing an egg yolk in a medium bowl with a couple teaspoons of lemon juice, a teaspoon or so of dijon mustard, a teaspoon or so of water, & a sprinkle of salt. You want the bowl big enough that when you whisk vigorously, the stuff stays in the bowl and not on the counter. Whisk that all together until it’s mixed and a little frothy.

Now take ~3/4 of a cup of oil. The standard is a neutral oil, like canola, but sometimes I go half and half olive oil if I want that kind of flavor. All olive oil is a bit too much for me, but ymmv.

You want to sloooooowly dribble the oil in while whisking vigorously. This is where “technique” comes in; if you add the oil too fast, it won’t emulsify, and you’ll get a bowl of egg yolks & oil. So go slooooooow. It’ll start to thicken in a minute or so, and once it starts, you can go a little faster, but you still can’t just dump it in. Think a thin stream of oil, tops.

And… that’s it. Voila. Mayo. Assuming the bowl is big enough, there’s no mess other than to throw the bowl & whisk in the dishwasher.

Yes, that’s Hollandaise sauce, and it does solidify when cold.