Mayonnaise: Hellman’s vs. Duke’s

With a stick blender, it’s not all that messy at all. However, I actually prefer commercial mayo to homemade mayo for my most common use (sandwiches.)

See, that’s the key. If I’m making some dish for company that I want to impress/awe, then I might make my own mayo. But for a sandwich? Duke’s in the fridge is just fine.

That’s what dishwashers are for.

This thread inspired me to do some searching, so I called the local hipster Streets Market — http://streetsmarketcafe.com —and asked if they had Japanese mayonnaise, and they said no.

But yesterday I just happened to be passing by, and I saw that they in fact did have Kewpie mayonnaise. Whomever I had asked just didn’t know it was Japanese, I guess.

So I grabbed a bottle, and the smallest jars of Hellmann’s and Kraft Mayo I could find (I already had Duke’s at home) and a couple packets of those little King’s Hawaiian original Hawaiian sweet rolls (because that’s the smallest packet of bread I could find).

Just sat down now to do a taste test of Kewpie, Duke’s, Hellmann’s, and Kraft Mayo.

Results—

They’re actually all very similar.

Kewpie has the most distinctive sweet/tangy flavor. Duke’s is the next most distinctive. Kraft and Hellmann’s are the closest to each other. Tasting them side-by-side, I can taste the differences, but honestly, in the wild, put them in a sandwich, and I doubt very much I would be able to tell which mayonnaise was being used.

They’re all good, really. I’m not sure I would judge a sandwich based on what mayo was on it.

But now I’ve got all this mayo and I don’t each very much bread at all, so I have to figure out what to do with it.

Maybe the next taste test should be deviled eggs!!

Interesting. My Kewpie isn’t sweet at all, and there’s no sugar on the ingredients. I do see, however, that there is an American version which has a different set of ingredients.

See here.

Mine is not sweet at all and has what I find to be a very obvious umami aftertaste. To me, it’s the most identifiable of the mayos for that reason: it has the taste of Accent (MSG) to it, which makes it taste a lot richer and fuller to me. Looks like the new American formulation has glutamates, too, via yeast extract, but also adds sugar to the mix. The tasting notes between the two, though, don’t seem to mention sweetness in either version.

Not anymore, apparently:

I went to the Wikipedia page, because I hadn’t heard of this Duke’s, but the picture reminded me that I just saw it at the grocery store last time I went! I thought it was just a new kind of mayo, and I guess it is, to me.

I’ll pick up a jar of Duke’s next time I’m out of Hellmann’s. I was never the hugest fan of mayo, but I’ve been baking a lot of sourdough bread lately and eating a lot of sandwiches, and I’m gaining a new appreciation for the stuff.

Same with White Lily flour.

This doesn’t surprise me. I’m loyal to Dukes, but I think this is some of my overcompensating-for-being-so-pissed-at-the-South-so-much schtick, like my stubborn insistence that NC barbecue is the objective best barbecue out there. My region sucks in so many ways, but by God do we know how to do mayonnaise right.

Let’s just get something straight…Miracle Whip is not a brand of mayonnaise. It is it’s on concoction, as vile as it is.

You are also right on NC BBQ. Although I subscribe to the Western Heresy (Lexington #1!), both styles are objectively superior to all other BBQ (unless I have a plate of something else in front of me, of course.)

I would move on to this without a second thought. Really good deviled eggs are a treat not to be spurned!

Also, I would whip up some macaroni salad with each. :cool:

Yeah, Eastern North Carolina BBQ is the best.

Although I wouldn’t turn down a plate of the real South Carolina stuff, with the mustard-based BBQ sauce. I think they also do the “hash,” which is every other part of the pig boiled into a delicious gray mush. Or perhaps that’s a Georgia thing.

I shall defend Miracle Whip. It is NOT supposed to taste like mayonnaise. See that “salad dressing” label? The stuff’s supposed to be a shortcut to what mayo tastes like after sweet pickle relish and other things are added when making egg, chicken, or ham salads. I grew up with it and LIKE it, particularly on Hoosier-style tenderloin sandwiches, BLTs, and leftover turkey thigh meat sandwiches on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

That being said, mayo’s a lousy condiment. It can be a fine ingredient in the aforementioned salads and other things, however. I will confess to liking mayo on Chik-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwiches, though. Had one today.

I agree. I actually do see the appeal to it, though I think I’ve maybe bought two jars in my life. I just think of it as a sandwich spread. It’s doctored-up and somewhat watered-down mayo, with a bunch of sugar and pickle flavors added to it.

But how do you do a BLT without mayo?

I love it on sandwiches. I think it’s perfect. As a kid, my favorite (open-faced) sandwich was a slice of Polish rye bread, a spread of mayo, and a slice of Swiss/Emmentaler cheese. Just perfect. It’s a perfectly good condiment. It’s basically an emulsified salad dressing that you can spread, so if you’ve got a sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, and that kind of stuff and you want to add your typical salad dressing flavors to, mayo works a charm. I also like cooked asparagus spears served with mayo (with perhaps a bit of fresh lemon squeezed and mixed into it.) It’s a solid condiment. Often, it helps to work it in with other condiments, too. Like mustard for tartness, or mix it with mustard, ketchup, and relish for a hamburger spread. But it’s great.

And, yeah, I like the mayo and fries thing, too.

This is a divisive issue asked at a time, and in a country that is already so polarized. But the correct answer is Hellman’s. Kraft is just gross & Dukes, while excellent in potato salad, just doesn’t cut it on a sandwich for me. For one thing, the color is off. Plus it doesn’t blend well with mustards. It doesn’t work on hamburgers either-too acidic. But I’ll concede that it does work well in potato salad.

Yup. I like Miracle Whip. It has flavor while all of the store bought mayos mentioned hear only provide a flavorless layer of fat to,act like a gasket on their sandwiches.

[quote=“pulykamell, post:74, topic:823947”]

But how do you do a BLT without mayo?/QUOTE]

Oh, I’m an idiot. You say following the part of your post I quoted that you use Miracle Whip on a BLT. Huh.

We’ve had jerks on this board, and trolls and racists and misogynists, and even people who admitted to being pedophiles.

But someone who likes Miracle Whip? Is any stronger justification for banning even conceivable?

:smiley:

But seriously, folks, we just moved to Georgia a few months ago, and I’ve noticed Duke’s on the supermarket shelves, but as a lifelong Hellmann’s/Best Foods consumer I didn’t give it any consideration. After reading this thread, I’ll have to pick up a small jar next time I’m at the store.

And Acsenray, thanks for pointing out the double N in Hellmann’s. I’m a professional copy editor and I’m stunned and chagrined that I’ve never noticed that before.

1. How do you notice the color of a condiment on a sandwich?

2. Why do condiments need to blend?

3. I think the bigger problem here is you put mayo on your hamburgers! :smiley:

Hold on to your britches…
Mayo on hotdogs is delicious!
See Sonoran Dog: Sonoran-Style Hot Dogs: What to Expect From The Arizona Favorite - Trips To Discover