Mayonnaise: Hellman’s vs. Duke’s

Dukes is the thickest, therefore the best.

1. I prepare my own sandwiches & am quite observant of the color of my condiments.

2. Every ingredient in a sandwich must blend.

3. You, sir, are missing out on one of the finer things in life. Mayo on hamburger is like Bearnaise sauce on filet minon. A perfect pair.

4. You’re probably a Miracle Whip aficionado :smiley:

Mayonnaise (hold the “mayo”, unless you’re really wanting to talk about a former Chinese Communist leader :smiley: ) is a perfect accompaniment to a number of things, including hamburgers, hot dogs (and many, though not all of the similar sausages found between a bun), fried bologna, french fries (mayonnaise mixed with mustard ftw!), cold pizza, cold macaroni and cheese, …

It’s a pretty endless list. Needless to say (but I’m saying it anyway), there’s always a jar of mayonnaise in my refrigerator, unless I’ve run out and am in the car on the way to the store to buy more.

I even will eat a spoonful of it at times plain, just to remind myself of the creamy goodness that is mayonnaise. We owe so much to the people of Port Mahon!

I’ve heard about people frying things on mayonnaise instead of butter. Has anyone here tried that?

As I said above, Miracle Whip is my last choice of the brands we are discussing here, but honestly if you like mayo, I don’t see how you can hate Miracle Whip.

a. To each his own, I guess.

b. On the contrary. There must be contrast for the proper appreciation of the various ingredients. Crispy vs smooth. Savory vs sweet. Tangy vs bland.

c. A properly cooked steak (not filet mignon!) requires little more than salt & pepper.

d. I come from a multi-condimental family. Dad’s family was Miracle Whip. Mom’s side was Duke’s. We somehow got along. :smiley:

I never knew there was so many types of mayo. My wife is going to kill me when she sees the fridge. I just got done buying half the Beaver mustard product line (and now realize they have a hickory bacon mustard).

It’s salad dressing that tries to taste like weird sweet pickles

I’ve only done it when I was out of butter and REALLY wanted a grilled cheese sandwich, but yeah, it works.

I’d say it more than works. I think it really is a lot better. It spreads easier on the bread and gives you a really nice, even, crisp brown. If you’re a grilled cheese fan, it’s worth giving it a shot.

I’ve done it several times, but I don’t think it’s better at all. I don’t bother with this spread butter on bread stuff anyhow, though. Just melt the darn butter in the pan and throw the grilled cheese on top of it once it melts. I really don’t understand why people insist on spreading the outside of the bread with butter. You get a nice soak, perfectly even browning, and all the butter goodness that mayo lacks. I like mayo, but it’s a “shit, I’m out of butter” situation if I’m using it for grilled cheese.

What do you do for the other side?

MOAR BUTTER

of course!

Um, more butter (if necessary–you might have enough to coat the bottom of the pan left, depending on the size of your pan and how much butter you added initially), what else? Just lift up the sandwich, stick some more butter in the pan, flip when enough is melted (which usually takes about 5-10 seconds). I mean, this is just like frying and browning anything else. It’s not like you butter each side of your steak or vegetables typically and then throw it into a dry pan, so I don’t get why this has become the method for doing grilled cheese.

I don’t know, it just seems so weird to me to see people fumbling with buttering the outside of the bread, because in my family and my friend’s families, they never did that. They just used butter in the pan. And the great thing is, you don’t need spreadable butter to do this. Right out of the fridge (if that’s how you store it), it’s fine.

For browning the outside of a grilled cheese sandwich, nothing works better than schmaltz (rendered chicken fat).

I will admit to another unconventional use of mayo: it makes awesome garlic toast. Throw some minced garlic into a bit of mayo, spread it on some good, crusty bread. Feel free to top with some Pecorino-Romano (optional, just a dusting), and throw under the broiler (or “roast” mode).

I spread the outside of the bread with mayo and melt butter in the pan – gives the sandwich something of a ‘french toast’ effect.

Neither–I’m supposed to limit my soy intake and both have soy oil as the first ingredient. Sir Kensington’s is my current go-to.

actually all miracle whip is …kraft mayo with powdered ranch dressing/flavoring mixed in ……
kraft used to be the biggest non home consumer of the hidden valley ranch powder they sold ……

Really? Do you have a cite for that because it tastes nothing like ranch and it doesn’t have all the flecks in ranch powder.