McCain campaign slams Obama's visit to his grandmother

What’s second, Western or Bluegrass?

You know, looking back on it, that might have been the start of the Republican implosion.

Man, I’d pay just about anything to see McCain’s beak flip up in his face. Palin’s to.

The electoral vote predictions would suggest that the answer to that question is “no.”

I mean, McCain’s campaign is losing Virginia, South Carolina, Missouri… they may now be losing Indiana. They’ve gone from being a little ahead to being in a near-hopeless situation in less than five weeks. Does this strike you as being a COMPETENT campaign?

It’s a damned earmark!

Nitpick: North Carolina. Obama isn’t winning South Carolina unless there’s an immense landslide. Which could well happen.

And from FiveThirtyEight, some really bad news for McCain, and a couple of good bits.
Bad for him:
Winning Texas by only 10 points. This sounds kind of concern-trollish, but consider how reliable Texas has been. Apparently, not so much anymore.
Losing Montana by 4. On the margin of error. This is a state that even Clinton only won once.
Winning Georgia by only 5. Georgia’s only voted for a Democrat once since 1964, and that was for a favorite son.
Winning Kansas by 12. No danger of Obama winning here, but that’s 13 points less than Bush got in 2004.
Losing Indiana in two polls, at least one of which is outside the margin of error. Indiana, like Virginia, has not voted for a Democrat since Johnson, when everybody outside the Deep South voted for him.
Losing Ohio by double digits in two different polls.
Almost every single other poll

Good for him:
Winning Arkansas and Louisiana by double digits. I have to admit, I’m really surprised that, given the GOTV efforts by Clinton and Beebe, the margin here is even wider than it was.
Losing North Carolina by only 2.

Okay, enough of my interpretation, I’m sure you can read the page for yourselves.

Oh God, I spelled “too” wrong. Holy crap, I don’t think I’ve ever done that before. Wow. I have to go turn in my English teaching credentials and commit suicide, and because I’m in Japan it’ll have to be seppuku. It was nice knowing everyone.

He WAS trapped in the 1960s. For five and a half years!

Technically, half of that was in the '70s.

Well, in my case, I live pretty close to the ghetto (in midtown Memphis, you’re never too far away from a ghetto), and I’ve been known to smoke some weed and I eat arugula (usually not at the same time, though). :wink:

Best five-and-a-half-years joke I’ve heard so far.

Indeed. Well played, Green Bean.

Preach it, brother.

Georgia went for Carter both times (in '76 and in '80, which was otherwise a disastrous year for the Democrat, natch) and for Clinton once, in '92 (but not in '96).

Other than that nitpick, it is pretty astonishing that Georgia is polling so close this year.

When I was searching for a link to post to that news story, one result took me to a blog page at the Wall Street Journal. Their map showed McCain 189 and Obama 183. Clicking on it brought up another page, probably more up-to-date, with Obama leading 259 to 163.

Don’t know why they haven’t updated the first page; just like the colors, maybe.

I just lost my grandmother two months ago. She was my most favorite person in the world. I miss her every day; her character is the example to which I try to aspire. I’ll be lucky if I’m half as good a woman as she wasl. I wish I could have visited her one last time. It is right now my deepest regret in life.

If Obama didn’t go visit her, I’d think less of him. Same if McCain’s mother was ailing.

WTF is wrong with people?

Oh, yeah. Given how much time I’ve spent going over these, how the hell did I screw that up?

Hey Bell, is Nova still screwing over their English teachers over there, or are they finally out of business?

Yeah, it’s probably regional. I’ve used it a lot (raised in Ohio FWIW).

I thought it was a military term.