McDonald’s employee spent a night in jail

He didn’t finish it, because the article says the remaining burger is being analyzed.

:confused: Are you kidding? Even if you don’t do it yourself, you’ve never encountered, or even heard of, people doing it? There’s a reason why it’s called (quote unquote) “wolfing” down a burger–because it goes down the gullet in big, unchewed–and untasted–chunks. Some people eat like that.

Cite. Bolding mine.

Fanfiction, yeah, but it shows I’m not just making it up.

And again.

And from a WeightWatch blog…

People do it, even if you’re not personally familiar with the phenomenon. [shrug] Gollup it down in chunks without tasting it. So yeah, the cop could have ingested an overdose of sodium before belatedly realizing his burger was too salty.

If the employees story is true, the manager knew this happened and let the burger be served so the manager is the one that should have been arrested.

You guys want corporate fascism, you want capitalism unbridled? Well, you Repuplicans got it. You voted for it. This is it. What did you expect?

The truth is that the manager approved the burger for service because the corporate mandate is to minimize waste. That salty burger will make or break ya.

I’m afraid that most descriptions of wolfing down food fall into the category of “hyperbole” or “literary/poetic license”. Wolves/dogs/carnivores eat that way because their teeth mostly aren’t made for grinding up food, and their throats are designed to swallow big chunks. Humans aren’t designed to eat that way, at least not naturally (those champion hot dog eaters “wolf” the hot dogs, but they train specifically to do it). Normal humans need to at at least break the food into chunks small enough to swallow, and that requires some chewing.

And “wolfing” beverages without tasting them? Unless you’re using a beer bong, it’s going to take some real contortions to get a drink down your throat without letting it touch your tongue.

When a human is said to “wolf” their food, it’s generally known to be a figure of speech that means “they ate very quickly without taking time to savor the flavor”. It doesn’t mean they don’t taste anything. 'Cause that tongue thing kind of gets in the way, since it’s neatly positioned between the lips and throat and all that.

I doubt that a salt overdose is what made him sick.

Having once had some joke candy as a kid–fed to me by my brother–which had a nice onion flavored center, I can attest that when you put something in your mouth and then suddenly realise that something is very very wrong from what you were expecting, you’ll proceed to spew.

So while I can imagine that sudden, induced vomitting made the cop feel rather ill, there was probably not enough salt there to actually cause physical harm.

“This burger is makin’ me thirsty!”

Moderating:

Let’s keep political complaints out of this, mkay?

This is indeed the story Ms. Bull is telling:

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/stories/2007/09/10/hamburger0910.html

The manager denies that he knew about it, so nobody is backing up the word of the other. This is why we can’t know who is lying. Both have strong incentive to lye here. Too much salt on a burger doesn’t justify jail time, but the burger is being tested, so they’ll know if a non food item was put on it. It would be ironic if the real problem was listeria or poisonous food ingredients from China, and the salt is incidental to the illness.

Now we’re getting somewhere. That would make the cop sick.

no, Phase42’s answer echoes my thoughts.

i just don’t see how the policeman can eat enough salt from the burger to actually get him sick without knowing to stop beforehand. he’s abusing authority. we’re talking about salt here, not a severed pinky.

Seems to me the only one claiming it was only salt is Kendra Bull. The cop says, I ate the burger and got sick, what’s in it. Bull says: “salt.” Cop says, “we’ll see,” send it to the lab. Media picks up the story as McDonald’s employee goes to jail for serving salty burger to cop.

I agree that the arrest seems very premature and pointless. There may be more to the story, but if it’s just salt, I doubt she’s violated the statute.