McDonald’s employee spent a night in jail

Those things have a whole lot more than salt in them - both varieties contain MSG, and I wouldn’t doubt that a high concentration of that stuff could make you feel sick.

(bolding mine) really? :eek: :dubious: /pictures garfield wolfing down a burger

how can you eat something without tasting it?

Really? Cite/anecdote on fast-food workers intentionally messing with food for a cop, please.

A friend of mine worked at a fast food joint in high school, which was a cop hangout (it was a block or so from the police station). They loved it. I don’t know that they gave away much in the way of free food/coffee/whatever, but they never got robbed (my speculation is that this was because any would-be robbers would notice police coming and going all the time and figure it was a bad idea).

[Homer Simpson]

Mmm, free burger! (bite)

Ugh, too salty.

Mmm, free burger! (bite)

Ugh, too salty.

Mmm, free burger! (bite)

[/Homer Simpson]

I think he’s refering to the precedent setting Farva v Dimpus Burger.

It’s happened. Google isn’t helping me today but several years ago a worker at an In-n-out loogied in a cops burger and was arrested. The cop checked the burger before eating it because he noticed suspicious behavior.

My guess as to what happened at the McD’s is this. The cop ate there and became sick. When they went to investigate what happened, the worker made up some bullshit about the salt. I doubt that the cop really got sick from too much salt. He probably got sick from too much grill cleaner.

Here’s one:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=News&id=1382777

Here’s another:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/19/national/main589656.shtml

In the first story, the person claimed he was sick and may have accidently spit on the burger. In the second, he admitted it.

All you people must be prosecutors or cops or republicans or paranoid or something. Why does everyone assume that the cop got poisoned intentionally? It’s probably exactly as the grill cook said it happened. And God help us if accidental overseasoning sets a precedent for illegal behavior… my Mom would be sent to jail!

Huh. Ignorance fought, thanks. I worked fast-food in high school and it wouldn’t have occurred to me (or anyone I knew) to try something like this.

Score! Don’t you love it when that happens*? I found a piece of stem (or something) in a bag of picante sunflower seeds once, that had absorbed quite a bit of seasoning and somehow made it through all the sorters. Delicious!
*Warning, innuendo:No, not licking it for a good half hour, sickos!

I worked fast food in high school too and it doesn’t surprise me a bit. I never participated in or knew about something as bad as snot in a burger, stuff did happen, always to customers who were such over the top assholes that a teenager would consider some kind of revenge.

I would have guessed “a saltin’ battery”

I once was at a Boston Market when they had just opened for the day and got some mashed potatos as a side. They were spoiled and tasted like vinegar.

However, I wolfed all of them down without tasting them, vomited, and was hospitalized. Then I had the employees arrested for trying to kill me and got a lawyer to sue them.

NOT!!

After one bite I returned to the counter and told the girl “I think these are spoiled” where she apologized and got me some fresh ones.

(dumb cop)

At about the age of four I got a burger that had the salt shaker dump on it. It was a supper club, and I still remember the experience, because nobody believed me when I said I couldn’t eat it. After everybody else was done eating ma finally took a bite to prove we wrong. She spit the burger out. She complained and was told the cap came off the shaker and they scraped off the salt. It does happen. Parents try your kids food, if they say it has something wrong with it. I’ve never eaten there for the last forty years.

I don’t think we have enough information to know what blame the manager, cook, and cop have in this incident that seems to go to far.

Ah, yes, a noted Vermont civil case. But I thought they settled out of court when the outraged plaintiff assaulted defendant’s staff.

(For the uninitiated, see the hilarious movie Super Troopers).

Yeah, here’s the clip. First thing that came to mind when I saw this story.

How much salt would it take to make some one sick?

I must add one thing. Shenanigans!

A few years ago, a cook at the local Denny’s thought it would be funny to put a big hairball instead of a hamburger patty on the bun for a cop’s order. Since the lettuce/tomato/onions were served on the side, the cop found the hairball when he opened the bun to put the fixings on. I assume the cook knew the cop would spot the “substitution” and not eat the hairball. Not amused by the “joke”, the cop showed it to the manager, who fired the cook on the spot.

Of course, I heard this story second-hand, from a Denny’s waiter who claimed to have served the “burger”, so I can’t vouch for the veracity of the tale.

*A McDonald’s employee spent a night in jail and is facing criminal charges because a police officer’s burger was too salty, so salty that he says it made him sick. *

And yet after the first bite of the obviously oversalted burger, he continued to eat it and finish it until he was sick? I find it hard to believe that this is the whole story.