McDonald's Shakes

Yeahs but that would pretty much any milkshake. You don’t even want to look at the nutritional info for a Five Guys Shake, for instance.

It always makes me laugh when people say “You know, the shakes are worse for you than the Big Mac/Whopper/etc.” Of course it is. It’s a pound of liquefied ice cream.

In my teens I worked at a Burger King for a while.
I don’t know how it’s done now, but we used to pour an actual milk-based liquid into the machines - one side vanilla and one side chocolate. Upon dispensing, the liquid was quick-frozen into a shake-like consistency. And as I recall, they weren’t bad.

Except the strawberry. The strawberry shakes were vanilla shakes with a couple pumps of strawberry syrup added, then blended. But the blending process completely broke down the consistency of the shake, and you’d basically end up with runny strawberry-flavored milk. They were not good.

What, you never eat a whole tub of Häagen-Dazs?

Dennis

I’m SO old-fashioned. A shake is icecream, some milk, some cream, maybe some nutmeg or ginger, maybe a little honey, maybe some other flavoring, maybe some food coloring if you wanna get real funky, all mixed in a blender, and eaten with a spoon assist. Is this what you get at McDonald’s?

Well, that ain’t the question. It’s more like being surprised that eating a whole tub of Haagen-Dazs is a calorie and sugar bomb. Like, no shit.

I’d not say old-fashioned, but short-sighted with a strange sense of taste (I never see nutmeg-ginger-honey flavored shakes at any proper ice cream shop, and certainly not food colors).

To me a shake is a certain amount of milk-fat, certain amount of sugar, at a certain temperature, having a certain rheology, and how it gets there isn’t all that important to me.

I have to agree with this!! I’ve never heard of a shake with anything other than ice cream, milk and a simple flavor like chocolate or strawberry. Add some malt powder and you have a delicious malt (or malted as I’ve heard some people call it). I’ll take a malt over a shake any day.

Years ago some McD’s shakes were decent. The chocolate shakes varied depending on the location, and sometimes they were quite chocolatey and tasty. Now they’re cloyingly sweet and there’s no chocolate flavor at all. It almost tastes like it’s got a bit of coffee in it. just “brown” tasting and super sweet and terrible. Store bought chocolate milk has evolved the same way. Awful.

Another myth: