Me and My Tuba Got Our Picture in th' Papers!

This morning’s New York Times, page E5, Arts section.

Overhead view of the Sunday, June 4 Bang On a Can avant-garde music Marathon at the World Financial Center. Performance of Anthony Braxton’s “Composition No. 19 for One Hundred Tubas.”

There’s about 14 of us in the pic, wending through the crowd: One of the conductors comes first, then a bald guy with a tuba and red shoes, then three euphoniums with right-facing bells, then a euphonium with a left-facing bell, then ME! Black jeans and shoes, shiny 1952 CC Conn upright with left-facing bell. Right in da middle of da piksh!

That’s why my Times never arrived today!

Would that be this?

Unfortunately the photo is rather small and does not have an “Enlarge this Image” option, so I can’t really make you out.

Oh.
Not TubaDiva.
Never mind.

They called you “ominous”, are you ominous?

Yeah, but where’s the picture of TubaDiva with a Ukulele? Fair is fair.

Surely you meant to type C.G. Conn? :wink:

Yeah! THERE I am! The guy with his feet at a nine o’clock angle!

(The photo in the actual brick-and-mortar newspaper is somewhat larger. C’mon, you know you can find a copy in Dallas! It’s well worth the three or four bucks, trust me. You can do the crossword after.)

No, I meant the horn itself is pitched in C. The double-C connotes a lower octave.

Most tubas are pitched in F, Eb, CC, or BBb. Different fingerings are required for each; the tuba is a non-transposing instrument.

Oh. :smack: Serves me right for spending all that time on eBay, where people list instruments by C.C. Conn, G.C. Conn, G.G. Conn…

Hey. I make you look stupid, you make me look stupid. Fair’s fair. :slight_smile:

I think it’s cool that you got to play with Anthony Braxton.

I am looking at it right now - cool!

I’m having great fun trying to visualize this.

Specialty: hard news. :smiley:

Well, I’ll have a local religious group send over a team with some copies of The Watchtower

Well, this may have been the best part of the whole thing.

Braxton’s Creative Orchestra Music 1976 was one of the first jazz albums (and THE first avant-garde classical album) I bought as a teenager in Cleveland, just getting into the whole scene.

I think he’s a bloody genius – and so do the MacArthur Foundation people, because they gave him one of their “genius grants” several years back.

I was surprised and pleased to learn that he’s a tenured professor of music at Wesleyan University, one of the “Little Ivies.”

Incidentally, June 4 was Braxton’s 61st birthday. It was a nice present to give the guy.