Any Tuba Christmas Enthusiasts here?

I was practicing for our little event (Alexandria, LA) and wondered if any of the Dopers happened to play in one, or were interested in attending one.

The BF is participating in the one in Little Rock, FWIW. ::shrug::

I’m going to my 12th TC in Akron on the 16th. I’m a trombone player that masquerades as a baritone player one afternoon a year :slight_smile:

I don’t play the tuba, but my nearly 11 y.o daughter does - she started when she was 7. Her favourite music is jazz and blues, and she got a bit discouraged about the type of tuba music generally available to listen to. Much thanks to TubaDiva who suggested musicians and CDs that would be of interest to her!!

It is too late for Tuba Christmas here this year, but I have marked the site and will suggest it to her tuba teacher for next year - could be fun :cool:

Lots of fun. 20-100 musicians all just meet one day, practice for two and a half hours, and go play a public concert. Even better that they’re all low brass.

20-100? Man, we get 300+ a year in Akron. A site to behold!

Paging TubaDiva!

Must be a veritable wall of sound, 'course they’re shooting for over 800 in California this year, which may border on crazy.

I was very disappointed to find that there wasn’t a TubaChristmas group this year at the Bozeman Christmas stroll, as there has been for the past several years. Myself, I’d love to take part in one, but I’m nearly a decade out of practice, and don’t have a horn.

I think I missed the one in Tucson this year. We always get such an inspiring turnout, though–it really is ages 8 to 80. And I love the vibe you get from so many low brass players together. We’re the coolest nerds around. :slight_smile:

I never had the opportunity to play in one, but I’d love to attend one. The largest tuba group I ever played in was a sextet. I played the bass line. :wink:

I’ve played in only one: on the statehouse steps in Columbus, Ohio, in 1983 or '84. Great fun. (Cold mouthpiece.)

I know the feeling. I marched in a Christmas parade for several years. Arms were always numb by the end. Ours, thankfully, is held indoors at a mall every year.

Ours is usually at this very cool old, victorian-themed theater in downtown Akron, but now it’s being moved to the bigger, modern theater. I don’t think I’d do it if it was outside - I’m a weenie :slight_smile:

Anyone who wants to go but doesn’t want to/can’t play - go anyway and be in the audience!!! I was in the audience for 4 of my 12 years and it was still very fun!

I generally try to make it to the Alexandria event, at which I usually see CoBa. They are a lot of fun, I love music and I love the sound of all the brass together. I don’t think I’ll be able to make it this year though. Too many family obligations that day. I do want to wish CoBa and all of the other Tuba Christmasers out there much luck, I’m sure all of your events will be wonderful.

Thanks The Walking Dude, We’ll need it.

Mr. Olive met Tucker Jolly back in the mid 70’s and recently got back in touch with him. We’ve been talking about taking time to go out to Ohio for Tubachristmas, but we always seem to get stuck at home when it happens. Maybe next year :frowning:

Olive

Tucker Jolly! You are so lucky!

He does something that’s like TubaChristmas but he uses his own arrangements – which are also very cool. Always wanted to play that, never made it yet, dangit. Are y’all playing or audience members?

(BTW, that’s very important, audience members, we really need you. Audiences can do just fine without musicians but musicians without an audience are simply rehearsing. )

Atlanta TubaChristmas was this past Friday at Underground Atlanta – had over 200 tubas and euphonium players all in a heap. It was a lot of fun. I brought my antique double bell euphonium and got to show off a little bit in the concert and that was great too, I’m such a ham.

Usually there’s a TubaChristmas at the University of Georgia at Athens, but not this year. :frowning:

For those of you who haven’t seen a TubaChristmas there’s lots of little videos on YouTube from all over the place, check 'em out. It’s our little Christmas gift to the rest of the world.

See www.tubachristmas.com for more information for a TubaChristmas in your vicinity. And I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.

Merry TubaChristmas!

PS Paging Ukulele Ike – did you play NYC TubaChristmas?

Huh, I didn’t know Tucker Jolly was so well-known amongst the tuba enthusiasts of the world! Or maybe he’s just memorable because of his seriously appropriate name? :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what you mean about “something like TubaChristmas,” TubaDiva. We play right from the “Songs For a Merry Tuba Christmas” books and we get TubaChristmas pins and everything. There is an extra song sheet from which we play 3 or 4 songs but I am not aware of any special arrangements.

Hubby’s not a tuba player. He had the pleasure of playing in a wind ensemble with Mr Jolly as a soloist. Hubby claims the highlight of the evening was when they played “The Stars and Stripes Forever”, with Mr Jolly playing the piccolo part on tuba.

Olive