Meat eaters - do you ever eat veggie burgers?

Most veggie burgers are disgusting but I do occasionally eat Quorn which is a decent chicken substitute.

You can’t beat your pure meat.

I protest!

I am an omnivore, but I loathe and deplore “meat substitutes” - give me either REAL meat or REAL vegetables but not fake anything.

I’m quite happy eating vegetarian meals, beans and rice, tofu, seitan, chickpeas and couscous, hummus … but I hate fake meat. I don’t need meat to be happy, but I do need food that isn’t trying to be something it’s not.

So… meat eater, won’t eat “veggie burgers”, but WILL happily eat vegetarian entrees that aren’t disguised as something they’re not.

I love veggie burgers. As has been said, not as a substitute for burgers, but in their own right. Boca burgers, Chix Patties, Dr Praegers, Morningstar Grillers. They’re all lovely. Hamburgers are delicious too, but I prefer the veggie burgers.

I tried to eat one once–can’t remember what brand it was but it tasted like a beer coaster.

Granted, I was pretty drunk at the time so it’s possible I actually did eat a beer coaster.

Yes. I like Boca Burgers, and I eat a Morningstar Farms sausage patty just about every day for breakfast.

I’ll eat other veggie burgers when necessary, but second this: grilled portobello mushrooms are much meatier than any meat substitute I’ve ever tried. Hell, they taste a lot meatier than any fast food burger I’ve ever had. When I pull out the grill and have vegetarians over, I’ll do portobellos for them, and I often wonder whether they’re having the better meal.

If you haven’t done them before, they’re ridiculously simple: salt, pepper, and a lot of olive oil (they’ll soak the oil up like a sponge), atop a grill, leads to a fabulous meal.

I love veggie burgers, especially when it’s a spicy lentil patty or the like. I don’t really eat any frozenbrands, though, just homemade ones, one FF chain (Steers) and one fresh store brand one (Woolworths)

None of the subways around here have these veggie burgers, of which you speak, but I’m pretty sure their ham and chicken are mostly turkey and soy judging from the consistency :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t eat veggie burgers, everytime I see them in the freezer section I get sticker shock.

Really can’t think of any reason I’d eat a veggie burger or anything similar. I’m mostly carnivorous, and like it that way.

Some of the Morning Star products are quite tasty–I believe the black bean burger and the garden veggie patty are the ones that I like. And I do get cravings for homemade bean burgers from time to time, but it’s been years since I made one. There’s a lentil-and-bulgur burger recipe from Cook’s Illustrated I’ve been meaning to try–this is a good reminder to go dig that up.

Anyhow, I don’t think of them as hamburger substitutes. They’re just another type of sandwich. I tend not to like vegetarian dishes that try too hard to be meat (like I’m not a fan of the Boca burgers.) But the ones that retain the character of their main ingredients (bean or vegetable or whatnot) I do like.

What would be the point? Meat is better and cheaper.

Few Subways have them listed on their menu boards, but I haven’t been in one that didn’t have them available since the early 1990s. You have to ask the “sandwich artist” if they have them on hand.

I never ever eat veggie burgers but I do eat veggie sausages, so I voted for the 3rd option.

Voted occasional eater. Reason being, I follow a “Primal” regimen and avoid soy and am not sure of the other fillers that might be used - maybe wheat/gluteney stuff? That said though, I like the Morningstar stuff (used to eat lots of them!) and have had some awesome restaurant veggie burgers.

My daughter went vegetarian last summer for a few months, before deciding she’d prefer to be a pescatarian. I’ve brought Boca Burgers, Morningstar Farms Garden Burgers and the aforementioned black bean burgers into the house. I had to finish the Boca Burgers (which I will not buy again) and the Black Bean burgers (which I will), but she’s happy to belly up to a Garden Burger once in a while.

Yay for board twins. Boca is perfect for late work nights. I don’t have to worry about getting ‘cooked’ just hot. I don’t eat them like burgers tho - I usually cut them up after I nuke them and put them on top of ramen with some canned veggies and lots of random spices. Yummy.

I have the same attitude about hamburgers.

There are certain meat substitutes that kind of sort of work if you’re not really paying attention and don’t expect them to taste like what they’re substituting. But I’ve never had a decent veggie burger.

I’d rather just eat a pure vegetarian meal.

I have never had a veggie burger I’d finish eating - yuck. (Can’t say the brands I’ve tried, but it’s been many, mostly at cookouts after someone insisted these weren’t like those others I’d tried. Shiver.)

That said, I do eat tofu, and often eat veggie meals, just because I like them. But if I crave a burger, I want a damn burger not something shaped like one, that tastes not unlike sawdust.