Does anybody have a good veggie burger recipe?

I like the gardenburgers, but they aren’t really thick enough to make a good burger. My sister used to have some kind of mix that she used to make veggie burgers, but I was never able to find it in the stores. They can’t be too hard to make though. I’m hoping for something that I can mold into a patty the way I do with beef.

The simpler and cheaper the better. I don’t want to go out and buy a bunch of special ingredients just for this.

Hmm, my daughter made some the other week but I didn’t catch the recipie. Something about rolled oats and … I forget.

I can ask her when she comes home though (she’s out of town, be back late tonight).

Yea, that sounds right. My sisters mix definitely had oats in it. Also, oats are pretty standard fair. I suppose I could break down and get canned black beans, but I think that may not be the best way to go.

There’s an excellent black bean burger recipe in Veganomicon - I loaned my copy out or Id’ post it, but they have meaty texture that’s different from other veggie burgers I’ve had, it’s thicker and meatier somehow, without being a meat replacement.
If you can get your hands on a copy of that book, it’s worth it (if I get my copy back this week, I’ll post it).

Actually, if it’s different from veggie burgers you’ve had, it’s probably not what I want. I’m not looking for a meat substitute or anything, if I want something meaty I’ll have meat. I’m doing this because I like veggie burgers. I really like them. The only veggie burger I’ve had that I didn’t like was that black been thing at Chili’s.

Daughter says it called for oatmeal, black beans, and potatoes. She made hers with sweet potato rather than Irish potato.

Here’s a yummy sounding one with rice:
INGREDIENTS:
3 cups brown rice, pre-cooked
2 cups soft bread crumbs (use a gluten-free and wheat-free bread)
1 1/2 cup mixed vegetables, finely chopped (try carrot, mushrooms, corn and peppers)
salt and pepper to taste

I found that on about.com recipies.