Meatloaf sandwiches?

Claim Jumper does. Several years ago, they changed their menu to only mention the hot, open-faced sandwich, but if you specified a cold, traditional sandwich, they were capable of providing that too.

A glance at their current menu indicates that the cold version is back!

So sorry you messed up the joke, but it’s still a pretty good one.

FrankenFURTER. That is all.

In the velvet darkness,
Of the blackest night,
Burning bright,
There’s a guiding star.
No matter what or who you are.
There’s a light
Over at the Frankenstein place.

THAT is all.

Thank you for saving me the typing.

A week ago, I actually had never heard of meatloaf sandwiches. Meatloaf is largely a cafeteria special here in Canada, and they don’t put it on bread. Neither did my mother, nor any Canadian restaurant I’ve seen. It’s just not a thing here.

I do add tons of stuff to my burger patties. This may annoy purists, but they are delicious. Far better than most standard burgers, which are generally pretty mediocre if you just eat the meat individually, except at a few places.

But, with cooler weather comes a desire for comforting food. I’ve been making a lot of meatloaf - The Cook’s Illustrated recipe is awesome, though I’ve improved it. In the spirit of this thread, I tried putting leftover meatloaf on buttered bread, both cold and warm. And it is a thing of beauty. Easy to prepare and remarkably flavourful. I’m going through 2lbs. of beef a day. Bad timing, since Covid is now reducing gym access again.

It’s “gang aft agley.”

From “Burns into English” A. Corbett, 1892,

But Mousie, not alone us twain,
Can prove how forsight may be vain
The best laid schemes of mice and men go oft awry,
And leave us naught be grief and pain,
for promised joy.

Burns has always been enormously popular in English translation. I tried to find the William Kean Seymour translation, which may have been more recently popular in the USA, but I couldn’t find text.

All the while vowing that when you grew up you would adopt a spice-based online persona and battle against the forces of blandness.

All while properly pronouncing “paprika” with the “ash” sound at the end.

I’m wondering what his signature superhero costume looks like. Whatever it is, it’ll be piquant.

Here’s a relevant use of “gang aft agley” from a recent thread: :wink:

Then I’m sure you are missing out on much much more than just meatloaf sandwiches. It’s an art form for leftovers whatever ya got on hand.

“We shall feed them in the beaches. We shall feed them with our pepper ground. We shall feed them in the fields and with spicy eats. We will feed them with the chillies. And we will never use Splenda.”

Username / content correspondence index of 10

One tries.

What they say is “Made with 100% beef.” That doesn’t mean that there isn’t filler in there. It just means that at least some of the meat they put in there is 100% beef. Now, if it says “Made of 100% beef”, that’s a different story.

There’s a big difference between filler - adding extra water, sawdust and pollutants; and adding onions, spice, sauces and items which clearly enhance the end result. A fast food restaurant with s markedly better product is likely to succeed.

I always understood “with 100% beef” to mean that the meat in the burger was all beef. I.e. no pork or any other sort of meat.

They used to sell them as recently as 3-4 years ago- I got one about then. Wasn’t bad, and was made exactly as you describe.

Generally speaking, this comes down to how you like your burgers. Some people (and the general culinary world consensus) like their burger patties to be all ground beef with minimal additions- stuff like pepper, fish sauce/Worcestershire/msg are all ok, but adding binders or other stuff like onions or grated carrot (WTF?) is out of the question. The idea here is that the burger is the interplay between the grilled or seared ground meat patty, the bun, and the toppings. Having too much stuff in the patty itself kind of makes this something else. Also, at some point in the adding of other stuff, it does cross the line from a hamburger patty into meatloaf territory. Traditionally the hamburger has been beef and minimal additions- the ones with the stuff tend to be homegrown, FWIW.

It’s similar to the sauce vs. no sauce, or pork vs. beef barbecue fights, or the beans/no-beans chili fights. There’s no right answer- just opinionated people on all sides.

That’s pretty much what I said. No cat, monkey or rat meat.

I thought you were saying that “with 100% beef” meant that the burger might be made with 100% beef, and 100% pork, etc… It was the “Some” part that threw me.

It’s not like an all-beef burger can’t be great. But even creative chefs espouse this crap. And it is crap. They wouldn’t hesitate for a second to “offer my take” on a traditional dish, “update” French or Italian classics, mix different traditions. But ground beef with some egg, mustard and spices, shaped into a patty and grilled, served on a bun with pickles and onion, etc. is “no longer a burger”. There’s no right answer. But there are wrong ones. :wink:

There’s a good Italian butcher/deli a few blocks away from me in Brooklyn that used to do a fine meatloaf hero sandwich with grilled onion and brown gravy. They changed ownership about ten years ago and the meatloaf disappeared. Even worse, the brown gravy option also vanished (if no meatloaf was available on any given day, a good substitute was hot roast beef with fresh mozzarella, onions, and gravy).