Medical runaround....arrrrghhhh

So I’m a big baby…

I haven’t been able to breath since Monday (It’s friday now) and thought that once my ear infection cleared up, so would my breathing/throat problems. Throat is much better and I barely wince when I cough now ( compared to nearly pass out from the pain.)

Because I’m pregnant the Doc wouldn’t prescribe an RX for a decongestant, she said to use an over the counter stuff. I thought the sanctioned OTC stuff would work. Well, they don’t.(I’ve tried Robitussin, Tylenol Cold, Tylenol Sinus,Something else and something else) I can’t breath. I just called my Doc and begged for something and got the " You will have to go to your OB to get it" crap. From the OB I get, " You have to get it from the general physician."

Ladies and Gentlemen, you have witnessed me become just another number in the system.

:::whimper::::

I know that compared to what many people with serious injuries and problems go through, what I’m encountering is miniscule. I felt the need to whine outside a MPSIMS December forum.

I thank you for your time.

Shirley,

I’ve never tried it myself, but I’ve heard good things about salt-water nose drops. I cringe at the thought of putting something up my nose, but a lot of people swear by it. Like you, I found that the pg decongestant options were pretty much useless. I just lived with it and used Vicks Vaporub to help me get to sleep at night.

Yes, the saltwater nosedrops are a great idea. My allergist told my mom to do this to me when I was little and couldn’t breathe, and it worked so well I still do it now that I’m a grownup.
A cup or so of warm water, a teaspoon of salt dissolved in it, lean your head off the front of the sofa or something, and use an eyedropper to drop in a couple of drops. Wait for 2 seconds, then hold your nose and swallow. Sit up, blow.
And I sympathise with you and anyone else who has The Sickness. I had the throat/head thing for a week starting about Thanksgiving, so mine is over, but I have vivid memories. Best to you!

Lots of questions - no good answers.

Ladies, thank you. You are more help and offer more sympathy than an office full of MD’s.

I was thinking of shoving firecrackers up my nose to open things up. With my luck all the matches would be wet.

Once when my youngest (then 2) was so congested she couldn’t breath, I suggested using the air compressor to clear her nasal passages. My son (then 7) said “OK, Dad, but you have to change her diaper!”.

Yep, I believe he’s gonna make it in this world.

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

Don’t even joke about the air compressor thing. The air nozzles have holes on the sides now so that the air can escape out the sides instead of killing someone. There are cases of people thinking they were funny and blowing someone in the butt with compressed air, and repturing their intestines. This is not a joke.

“here are cases of people thinking they were funny and blowing someone in the butt with compressed air, and repturing their intestines. This is not a joke.”

How can you jokingly insert a hose up someone’s butt and casually blast them with compressed air? Wouldn’t the person have to at least have his/her pants pulled down? Wouldn’t he have to hold still for a moment whilst you inserted said hose?

“I have a funny joke. Pull your pants down, bend over, and close your eyes.”
“Well, okay.”
(pause)
“Wait a minute… what are you doing to my butt?”
“Trust me. Just hold still.”
“Okay, if you say so.”
Fffwwwoooshshshttt!
“Aieeeeee!”

Shirley, I had a sinus infection for three months when I was pregnant with Youngest Son. My doctor let me take SinuTab, and it was the only thing that worked. You might ask your doctors. (Youngest Son is 9 1/2 and came out just fine! :wink: )

-Melin

I’m a little more normal now, thanks to a discussion Hubby had with a pharmacist. He/She said that the reason why Antihistimines are not prescribed for pregnant women is because it makes the blood vessels contract and it might effect the oxygen level the baby gets. Decongestants cause the vessels to expand and are aok.

I’ve been living on Tylenol Sinus since about month number three and ran out of my fix while on vacation. He renewed my fix and I think I can breath again thru one nostril. It’s quite an exciting moment for me.

What I hate is WHY the damn doctors don’t tell you this stuff in the first place. If you constantly treat a patient like they are a fuckin’ idiot, well, then they become one.
ARGH.

Again, thanks everyone for your input.