Medieval superstions alive, well

A turkey wearing a mortar board??

milroyj, allow me to acquaint you with a charming little Earth concept called sarcasm…

Hey, how come they don’t bring a piece of the tilma to my church? I would be honored to venerate a piece of the cloth that the Virgin of Guadalupe’s image miraculously appeared on.

Maybe they bought em from Baldrick?

“Moving on to relics, we’ve got shrouds, from Turin; er, wine from the wedding at Cana; splinters from the cross and, of course, there’s stuff made by Jesus in his days in the carpentry shoppe: got pipe racks, coffee tables, coatstands, bookends, crucifixes, a nice cheeseboard, fruit bowls, waterpoof sandals…”

Sorry, not buying it. If someone started a thread mocking Muslim beliefs, it would be called hate-speech, not sarcasm.

I don’t know. I’ve never tried it.

*♫ Ave, Maria
So glad to see ya!

Genufect, genuflect, genuflect!♫*

**♫ There’s a man who’s got religion’ll
Tell you if your sin’s original.
If it is, try playing it safer.
Drink the wine and chew the wafer.
Two, four, six, eight,
Time to transubstantiate.♫

There’s a church here in Pittsburgh that is nothing but a museum of saint’s relics-I believe it’s on Troy Hill?

St. Anthony, I think. My parents took us years ago, and now I’m ashamed to say I was a bored, snotty teenager at the time and barely paid attention. (Until I saw a skull, that was pretty cool at the time).

Now, I’d love to go back. Even though I’m not a practicing Catholic, I have to say, I find stuff like that fascinating-it’s the historian in me.

I guess it’s like a precious memento. It would be like your favorite childhood toy, or your grandmother’s wedding veil.

Teehee!!! Did you make that up?

I’m never going to be able to sit through Mass (I do go on special occassions, because I like the music and such), without hearing this!

Two words.

Hate speech.

I wish I did, but that’s from the great Tom Lehrer, the song is called “The Vatican Rag.”

Why do you hate speech?

Why are you being a jerk?

milroy’s plotting to be a mime.

Mime bashing is fun!

Isn’t a church from the Iron age celebrating medievil traditions rather progressive?

See, that’s hate-not-speech against mimes! Oh, the clowns and their Clown Lifestyle Agenda are off limits, but mimes are perfectly ok to bash! More evidence of the Clown Wing slant on the boards and in the Clown Media!

Sadly, the mimes have no voice here.

Being a Clown isn’t a choice or a lifestyle. It just is.

All those other people are freaks, though.

I dunno about that. I think Muslim beliefs are pretty stupid as beliefs go, and that’s not said out of hate. But seeing as its a rather distant and obscure topic, I rarely have cause to talk about em. C.S Lewis pretty much mocked atheists in many of his fiction and non-fiction works, but I don’t run around saying it’s hate speech, just dumb. And if, unlike Lewis, the mocking is more jovial than vicious, I wouldn’t even see it as particularly jerkish.