Medieval superstions alive, well

The quit whining about it and report the post to a mod, you fucking hemorrhoid.

I found my new sig line!!!

That’s funny.

But didn’t Jesus say, “Somebody get this damn clown away from me?”

So now poking fun and criticising is “hate speech”. I guess that was inevitable.

:smiley:

A mime is a terrible thing to waste!

The Vatican Rag – Tom Lehrer, 1965

Some more Lehrer lyrics, but it’s worth it to buy the CDs and such.

An interesting tidbit from Ronald Finucane’s Miracles & Pilgrims: Popular Beliefs in Medieval England about the veneration of saints from centuries gone by …

Church Foo of Glory has a relic of Saint Mr-Perfect-Best-On-Earth. Pilgrims come from across Europe to pray and donate, and Foo of Glory enjoys the benefits and is able to feed the naked and clothe the hungry.

Church Most Holy Bar wants that relic and the benefits that it carries, and sneaks off in the middle of the night to steal it. If they succeed, it is because Saint Mr-Perfect-Best-On-Earth has blessed their attempt. If they fail, it is because Saint MPBOE wishes to stay with Foo of Glory.

I wonder if they’d have better success if they offered a competitive compensation package for the saint.

Weeeeeelllll, not Athena but Artemis but there seems to be some commonality running there. Goes back a ways beyond that, too, making this more like “Paleolithic superstions alive, well.” The Goddess seems to have many names.**

Apparently she looks like this.The art historians among us may say that she looks like she was painted in the 16th century by someone trained in the Spanish style. The grumpy ol’ MesoAmerican scholars may say that Juan Diego might not have existed and that Our Lady of Guadalupe was just Tonantzin repackaged by the conquerors to make the conversion of the masses easier. The UFO believers may say that sightings of small, dark, weeping women are commonly associated with UFO sightings, so much so that the shorthand BVM (Blessed Virgin Mary) has entered the UFO list of abbreviations.