"Men are getting weaker" and 60s entertainment

I watch a lot of TV shows and movies from the 60s (born in 1975). One thing I’ve noticed (most notably in “It’s a Mad World” and a couple of “Dick Van Dyke” episodes) is plots that mention the idea American men have become soft and dominated by their women. It’s often compared to the supposedly more manly European male. Why was this so prominent back then? Compared to today’s men, the notion that early 60s American males were being ordered around by women is laughable. Is there something I’m not picking up on?

The notion that men are becoming feminized goes back to the 19th century. It was part of the anti-feminist backlash toward suffrage and woman’s rights. Check out the cartoons toward the bottom of Predictions - The First Look Back on my website.

Prohibition was blamed on women and of course the flappers of the 1920s and their faux equality with men was considered to be proof. Many movies in the 1930s featured strong women and especially women bosses, and that was more proof.

After WWII, women were put back in their place by being forced to lose their jobs when “the boys came home,” and all was right with the world. But those men were always insecure in their dominance and fixated on every tiny victory by women as a direct attack on masculinity. It hasn’t let up for a second since.

Nothing ever changes. Except for their specifics, most of the other vile cartoons on that page could be put out today because too many people still agree with them.

And what about this positively infantile preoccupation with bosoms?

Men have bosom buddies, don’t they?

No, I absolutely will not make a Tom Hanks/Peter Scolari joke, thank you.

yes. men get pissed off and defensive whenever someone suggests they shouldn’t be in charge of everything,

Did you just…quote Terry-Thomas?

Exapno Mapcase: Many thanks for the link.

The final issue of NEMO magazine, a short run publication of the 1980s (30-some issues) about the history of the comic strip, featured in its 28th issue an absorbing cavalcade of the politically incorrect cartoons and caricatures of 19th and early 20th century America. Lots of insane depictions of German- and Irish-Americans, as well as the expected Blacks and Jews. But the Harvard football team of the future was a new one to me…

Do they?

Do they?

And what do Blacks do in that situation? Starting popping caps in asses?And Jews? Do they try to connive their way into power?

They sure do. Loudly. All the time.

What? You don’t remember them from the originals?

I put in an order for that.

In the same way the Negroes eat watermelon all the time. Right?

Nope, in the myriad ways that men turn woman into inferiors. It’s not a stereotype; it’s an observed fact about societal behavior.

Welcome to the social sciences. They’re real, and they’re spectacular.

What, you can just buy a copy online? You mean my collection…is just a sad joke?

Really? All men do this?

“It’s not a stereotype, it’s an observed fact”. Seriously? It’s an observed fact that all men get pissed off and defensive whenever someone suggests they shouldn’t be in charge of everything? Someone observed that?

It certainly seems about on par with the quality we’ve come to expect of the social sciences. So I will give you that.

Obviously if not all men do this, then no men do this, and Exapno is all wet. :rolleyes:

Obviously if some women are not good at maths then it is an observed fact about societal behavior that women are no good at maths.

Obviously if some women lack the agression to make it as senior management then it is an observed fact about societal behavior that women lack the agression to make it as senior management

Obviously if some Mexicans are rapists then it is an observed fact about societal behavior that Mexicans are rapists.

:rolleyes: Right back at ya.

Bigoted rubbish is bigoted rubbish. It doesn’t cease being bigoted rubbish because it’s not being spewed against your favourite victim group.

Maybe you can answer a question I’ve been kicking around for a while now – when was the last time that American Manhood was not in crisis? Because men seem to be freaking out all through the 20th century, at least.

Did we go back to bosoms when I wasn’t looking ?

Actually social sciences are mostly made up and certainly aren’t science.