Men At Work/Construction Man Thingy Guy...

You know what I’m talking about, that Yellow & Black construction sign that depicts a stick figure bearing down on a bar attached to some sort of device. What IS THAT device? And why has it become the National Symbol for Men At Work? I’ve stared at this all my life and could never get a grip on it (excuse the pun). :smiley:

It’s a shovel.

He’s shovelling.

Digging a hole, or moving something of a generally granular nature from one place to another.

A pretty basic part of roadwork, construction and the like.

\daydreaming about men thought. . . .

I’ve always loved spring/summer. That’s when all of those construction/outdoor working men take off their shirts.
Mmmmmmmm. . . .
:wink:

/daydreaming about men thought

I beg to differ Tegnu, THAT is NOT a shovel, or any permutation thereof. I’ve seen many shovels in my life time, and it doesn’t even come close! In fact it looks more like he’s leveraging something with a stick or pole. It such an odd shape – it’s driving me MAD!

Here, check this out to see what I mean:

http://www.3rddegree.com/menatwork/

C’mon…It’s obvious to anyone who’s ever been stuck in a construction zone.

The depicted character is a NJ road crewman prying open his lunch box with a lever while 3 out of 4 lanes are blocked off for pothole repair during rush hour.

Looks like a person stabing a newspaper with one of those sharp pionted poles.

It could be a person prying open the door on a car in the ditch.

He’s shovelling. Beneath the shovel are remains of the pile. On his shovel is the pile he’s picking up.

Admittedly it’s a crappy representation, but there ya go - not many signwriters are actually good artists.

Isn’t he trying to get the umbrella to work properly again (it having come off the frame in the wind) ?

Either that, or he’s attempting hara-kiri with an unusually large and unfamiliar vacuum cleaner.

BTW, what happened to his neck – is it in a brace ?

What’s big and orange and sleeps six? A Virginia Department of Transportation dump truck.

He’s using a shovel.

[minor hijack]

randomly sings I come from a land downunder!

Did no-one else think of that?

slinks away

[/minor hijack]

heh. You guy’s are funny.

And, you know what… I’ll give it to ya that it’s supposed to be a shovel, but I could have done a better job by drawing a stick with say a house or a lazyboy at the end of it. I wonder HOW they got a simple shovel shape completely WRONG. Boggles the mind.

::dumps 1/4 bottle of asprin, two scoops Breyers ice cream, and 1/2 bottle Jagermeister into blender, blends for 30 seconds and takes long pull::

The plane of the shovel blade is in line with your line of sight, and thusly appears to have no width to it. The neck thingie is that scarfy thing you wet to keep you cool when it is hot outside, and you cannot see his feet becuase he is standing in soft sand and has sunk down to his ankles in it.

and, um… absoul, may I say “huh”?

heh. You guy’s are funny.

And, you know what… I’ll give it to ya that it’s supposed to be a shovel, but I could have done a better job by drawing a stick with say a house or a lazyboy at the end of it. I wonder HOW they got a simple shovel shape completely WRONG. Boggles the mind.

UncleBill it’s a reference to the movie “Men at Work”. Since I had just woken up it semed quite appropriate. :smiley: