Men taking it personally when you laugh at the wrong moment

Nope, this really is a Cafe Society thread.

Last night a friend and I decided to do the pizza-and-a-movie thing. It was his turn to pick the movie, but he brought over a few he’d be in the mood for and let me pick. I chose Insomnia, which has been on my “no burning desire, but I’ll check it out someday” list since it came out. What can I say? I like Pacino.

So the pizza was pretty good, and I was definitely enjoying the movie. Pacino was good, Robin Williams was good, Hillary Swank was good, the story was absorbing, the visuals were stunning… good flick. Plus we had Klondike bars for dessert.

Then, at the end, the big climactic scene, when Al Pacino and Robin Williams shoot each other simultaneously,I just totally cracked up. How absurd and stupid and over the top!

Alas, my friend did not share my reaction, and he was clearly rather pissed off that I laughed at this. Which reminded me of the time a different male friend and I were watching the third (?)season of 24 on DVD, and about four or five hours into it, something really stupid and macho happened, and I laughed … and my friend got totally furious with me, and refused to let me watch the rest of the DVDs with him.

Has this ever happened to anyone else, where the guy is totally into the whole action-sequence machismo, and the woman laughs at the worst possible time?

I dunno, I laughed in Armageddon when Bruce Willis decided to sacrifice himself for the good of the planet.

The girls glared at me then.
I know your pain, so it’s not a huge deal. If anything, it means I never have to watch a crappy chick flick at my buddy’s house ever again and you have license to not watch ultra masculine, brainless movies.

By the way, I did the same thing at 24 at my buddy’s house. So many plot holes, inconsistencies, and general crap in one episode, I pointed them all out and he wanted me out of the room.

Yes, many years ago during some godawful karate/kung fu mash up in a movie theater. Maybe a Jean Claude van Damme flick? Realized the relationship was completely doomed.

Not action sequence machismo, but children crying. What can I say? I had a bad day with three screaming toddlers (sometimes whiny screaming, sometimes gleeful screaming, but it all gets on your nerves after 9 hours or so) and The Daily Show had a segment on that new Take-Kids-Out-To-The-Desert-And-Leave-'Em show thats coming out soon. Now, I know very little about this show except that the kids were more supervised than the producers want us to think, and that overall most of the kids reported a positive experience. So when they showed segments (from, I’m assuming, early on in the process while everyone was still missing Mommy) of some kids crying, I couldn’t help hit. Stifled giggles erupted into downright cackling, and my husband was so upset with me, he had to leave the house. He was seeing Lord of the Flies and his own painful childhood, and I was seeing Outward Bound with bratty Hollywood wanna-bes who finally learned to carry their own water bottles.

I’m not quite sure how to address this, if I should bring it up again to talk it out or just let it go.

Do concerts count?

I can’t remember this sort of thing happening when watching a macho-action-adventure-flick-type-thingie, but…

When Peter Gabriel was doing the Secret World tour, my boyfriend-at-the-time was able to score us two tickets about five rows from the stage. Said BATT was a big Peter Gabriel fan, whereas I was sort of ‘meh’ about him. (Peter Gabriel, that is. I was really into the BATT). I knew some of his hits, of course, but I don’t remember ever having seen a picture or video of him. Also, I was not a big rock-concert-goer. I’d only been to see Chicago and Billy Joel.

So anyway, the opening act is done, the lights are down, the crowd is hushed with anticipation. The opening strains of “Talk to Me” fill the stadium, and the stage is suddenly awash in dry ice and lasers, with a big video screen behind the stage further amplifying the exciting action. A Tardis-style telephone booth appears out of the fog and glides to front center. At this incredibly climactic moment, the telephone booth door opens and out steps… a pudgy, middle-aged man. The crowd goes wild, and I am siezed with paroxysms of laughter.

It took several months to earn forgiveness from the BATT.

Granted I’m not a man, but I can’t image being annoyed unless the laughter was wayyyy over-the-top and kept me from enjoying the movie.

I’ve laughed at movies before, but I’ve never had a true ROTFLMAO moment. And I’m a very goofy person. I think if I was around someone who did this a lot, it would make me wonder about their intelligence and/or sanity.

I can’t remember what part it was, but something in “The Bourne Identity” (the Damon version) made me laugh out loud and say “oh puh-leeze”. Apparently my husband was quite upset about it and turned it off. As a terrible punishment, I was not allowed to see the rest of the DVD (no, don’t throw me in that briar patch!).

Unusual, because while he has a greater tolerance for dumb stuff in action movies than I do, we normally both agree on what the dumb stuff is. It’s rare that I would laugh at something he did not.

See, that was your first mistake. You don’t take a chick to see multiple kung-fu flicks unless she actually likes or is familiar with one. If you find a girl that likes kung-fu flicks, keep her.

I remember public TV in Buffalo has a show that was all stuff spliced from old kung-fu movies with hardcore rap music playing in the background. I watched this for hours whenever I bumped into it.

Slight nitpick: The Doctor’s TARDIS took its (her?) appearance from a police box (blue), not a telephone box (red).

There were several minutes during Sin City and 300 where I was laughing and no one else in the theatre was, but the people glaring at me were my female friends, not guys.

Am I the only one that had to really search to figure out what the hell BATT stood for?

It took me a couple of sentences. At first, I thought they were at a RATT concert, but then I figured it out.

Luckily, both of the men mentioned in the OP are friends of the platonic persuasion. :wink:

I laughed near the end of The Hills Have Eyes, but I don’t think my friends took offense. What other response is appropriate when the hero not only turns his back on the presumed-dead villain, but also drops his shotgun next to him?

Twickster you have some weird interaction with men. I can’t imagine a scenario where I would give a rat’s furry behind if you laughed at a movie. I might tease you about it if I thought you didn’t get the point (and would expect you to tease me back since I missed the humor) but I would never actually get mad about it. Certainly not furious.

The closest I can come to a similar story: I was out with a platonic female friend. I let her pick the movie. It sucked. She acknowledged the fact that it sucked. I made the mistake of agreeing with her and saying: But I wasn’t surprised, I had seen the trailer. We had a slight spat over this comment. I’m guessing it is OK for her to say her choice sucked, but it is wrong for me to agree. (I can’t recall the film. Some vampire killing buddy flick.)

There’s a big difference between laughing and (although it’s unclear from what you typed whether this is what you did) pointing out inconsistencies and plot holes while the show is still on. As you’ll see in any 24 thread, no one likes pointing out plot holes in 24 more than 24 fans. But that’s after the episode is over.

I also laughed at that, and someone in the theater almost looked like he was going to pick a fight with me. The specific thing I was laughing at was the NASA control room covered in enormous monitors, all of which, during this incredibly crucial moment in the most crucial mission in the history of mankind, are on Bruce Willis’s face.
My (female) friend and I also both cracked up at the most saccharine moment in The Patriot, resulting in someone in the theater turning to us and saying something like “This is a WAR! And people are DYING!”.

What can I say, my IRL friends are mostly as nuts as you guys. :wink:

My wife loves those stupid slasher pics, like Scream, and Hills, and I struggle to remember the title of any others, because I suffer through them, trying not to be too loud with my laughter or my “instructions” to the actors. “No you idiot, do this”, or “don’t go over there ya goose”

But even Mrs Smurf was rolling her eyes through Hills have Eyes, that movie was terrible.

Incidentially, based upon the most ‘over’-used and hackneyed of cliche in those movies I have given instructions to the missus, that is she is ever in a “horror movie” situation, some deranged person after her, if ever she shoots/KO’s the bad guy, don’t just presume he is dead, I want you to continue hitting him, in the head, until you can see brains sprayed everywhere!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, that would have cracked me the fuck up if I heard someone say that with the indignation I’m imagining.

Well, I thought this thread was going to be about something else entirely…

I have learned–slowly–that my husband does not appreciate laughter, contemptuous snorts, eye-rolling, expressions of derision and so forth, while watching any movie he is enjoying. Or television show.

Since he likes Steven Seagal movies, I mostly stay out of the room.

I don’t think it’s a gender thing. We all fanwank over something, and if you’ve watched a movie multiple times or gotten into a show, you’ve suspended disbelief long enough and grown to love the characters so much you’ll forgive the writers for taking certain liberties. Having a newbie laugh at a particularly sad or scary episode of, say, Buffy is truly annoying. Maybe even a bit embarrassing since you’re forced to look at the scene or show from an outsider’s perspective and might even notice that it is a little cheesy or whatever. But if they don’t stop laughing for your sake they’re a jerk.