Men wearing aftershave / cologne, Y / N?

Should men wear fragrance?

Most of the men’s fashion and grooming sites recommend wearing some sort of personal fragrance.
It’s hard to know if it’s good advice because, as a guy, I don’t like the smell of any of them myself.
And if I notice it on others I am usually perceiving it as too strong.

So I don’t wear aftershave on a daily basis, but occasionally I use the tiniest possible dab on my undershirt. I wouldn’t dare to use a whole spray.

Thoughts? Let’s take it for granted that aftershave smells better than B.O. but can it be superior to just smelling clean? Does it help you to smell clean a little longer?

I’ve been accused of being a metrosexual (remember the term?), meaning I look after my looks, abhor B:O. etc. Even I have never adopted using cologne. A deodorant is all I use, and it covers every conceivable situation.

Even a small amount of cologne has too strong a presence, and it feels nothing more than perfume for men.

Fragrances are fine for men and women in small, reasonable amounts.

But too many people soak themselves and it’s offensive and even allergy inducing to some.

Not only does the PD I work for have a policy about over application of fragrances, I have the same policy for a business I own.

In my observation many men and some older women seem to have a problem doing this.

If an aftershave or cologne smells good, and in particular, if it’s liked by the man (and his partner/spouse, if applicable), and worn in moderation (i.e., not bathing in it), I’m in favor of it. IMO, if cologne or perfume can be smelled by someone who’s more than a foot away from you, you’ve put on too much.

I used to wear cologne sometimes when I was younger (mostly when I was going on a date, or going to a party). Haven’t worn it in years, but I enjoyed wearing it, and my now-wife liked it on me, too.

Sites that depend on the ad revenue from those same products.

Should women?

The advice is the same for both sexes: if you do, don’t bathe in it. A little goes a long way. Furthermore,

Perfumes, colognes, and deodorants are absolutely not a substitute for regular bathing using soap and water. Take a shower before spraying on Chanel no. 5.

I don’t personally use such options. I -have- 4-6 bottles in my bathroom though, because various in-laws would gift ever year or so. It made me wonder if I smelled bad, until I realized it was one of those things where they really didn’t know anything about me, and picked something general.

I think there may have been a point to them years back, but everything I use to clean - soap, shampoo, shaving cream, etc is already scented. Just using your traditional products can leave a scent and if you aren’t careful, it can conflict.

Having said all that, I still feel it’s fine if used in (extreme) moderation, and in consideration of your partner and the public around you. I used to use a tiny drop or two of one my wife liked the smell of before a ‘fancy’ date, but these days, she’s much more enamored of the smell of my shaving gel (Edge, what can I say?).

But I’m definitely on the side of @pkbites about the OVER-utilization. We have someone at work (in semi-open call center) that in spite of various work guidelines, wears enough scent that you smell her passing by in the aisle 6-10 feet away. I don’t believe I’m allergic, but it makes my nose crinkle every time she goes past. I know a few people have complained, but I’ve never seen anything come of it.

A little equal opportunity hate for the male side though - I cannot STAND when I was at the gym, and some sculpted prick would come out of the shower and spray himself and the surrounding 5 feet with what smelled like half a bottle of aerosol cologne/deodorant. It was literally eye watering.

For clarity, that’s what I was trying to say. On reading back my OP, it was perhaps phrased weirdly.

Of course hygiene comes first. And there are an awful lot of men out there that would benefit greatly by washing more often / more thoroughly, as well as learning basic grooming stuff.

I was just trying to head off what I thought might be a knee jerk response like “I’d rather smell aftershave than BO”.

Yes, and that is kind of nasty. Similarly, I do not want my laundry to smell “fresh”— I want it not to smell at all.

If you go to (e.g.) www.fragrantica.com, it says what everything smells like (e.g., Calvin Klein Everyone has orange, black tea, and vetiver), so you can quickly exclude or include products, and, very importantly since you mention it, there is a rating of “sillage”, from intimate–moderate–strong–enormous

I don’t like most men’s colognes. They try too hard, maybe so they can appeal to men who need a self-image boost. (Want to make people think you’re a manly man? Smell like leather, musk, and pine sap!) Blech. I will say, though, that I’ve found Aramis on a man to be a real attractant.

Otherwise, I guess it depends on what a man’s natural scent is like. Some people, clean and with no cologne, have a nice natural scent, and some don’t. Since we can’t smell our own scent, I have no idea how you determine this.

I have a good sense of smell. I hated cologne and perfume as a kid. I especially hated going to temple and being jammed in the midst of old ladies who wore too much of it. I still hate lavender because my grandmother’s bathroom reeked of it, from little scented soaps.

But a little can be okay.

Once, at work, i realized that i knew the guy who sat next to me was in that day, even though i hadn’t seen him, because i could smell his cologne. But his smelled fine. At least, the odor never bothered me.

Most of my friends don’t use scent. And that’s fine. My husband’s “aftershave” is diluted rubbing alcohol. My husband smells great to me, just clean man. But i have some friends who wear a little scent, and that’s fine, too.

Only use a scent if you like it, though.

This. But so many people who wear it never think they’re the ones putting on too much. And I even sometimes like how cologne smells, in the bottle. I just don’t like being forced to smell it on someone else for any length of time. It always gives me a sore throat, the same as plug-in air fresheners and holiday cinnamon potpourri and car air fresheners. It’s especially annoying when people wear cologne to restaurants, wrecking the flavor of my food.

As a person living with serious lung disease the pollution of perfumes is extremely problematic. My movements amongst people are severely restricted due to the chemical overload. If my partner goes out with friends and doesn’t want to shower and wash hair when arriving home late she sleeps in another room and we do not meet until she has showered and her clothes are in the wash. If she comes to bed I will start coughing in my sleep and be in serious distress in fairly short order.

If anyone but an intimate partner can smell it you have used way too much but the products should be banned, they offer nothing to the world but more air pollution. Millions of people are trapped in their homes, unable to enjoy restaurants, theatres, even workplaces because advertising says you need to smell of anything but humanity. It lies.

There is one friend’s home I can go to because she has bad asthma and uses no scented products but most homes, businesses and cars are full of unnecessary scents. As a canary in the coal mine I can assure you they are double plus ungood for your lungs. Many migraine sufferers also react poorly. Please think before you artificially stink.

I think women often like a man who smells good. It does not make up for poor hygiene or dirty clothes. It is not appropriate in large quantities or in certain settings, such as hospital wards or confined spaces.

Wherever possible, I use unscented products; detergent, soap and so forth. I haven’t been able to find my preferred shampoo or deodorant unscented.

So I don’t use any sort of aftershave or cologne, though I do like that barbershop smell, which might be bay rum or Barbicide.

Negatory. I have never purchased any of these products in my life. I have been gifted them occasionally, but they are always given away unopened, or just tossed. I won’t judge anyone, but if your scent bubble extends into my personal space, I just may lift a cheek in your direction.

[/quote]
The advice is the same for both sexes: if you do, don’t bathe in it. A little goes a long way. Furthermore,

Perfumes, colognes, and deodorants are absolutely not a substitute for regular bathing using soap and water. Take a shower before spraying on Chanel no. 5.
[/quote]

Absolutely this, I’ve known far too many men and women who seemed to think scents and deodorants were substitutes for bathing

Someone who bathes daily but doesn’t wear any scent or deodorant will IMHO smell way better than someone who only bathes a couple of times a week and tries to cover it up

I think it depends on the person smelling you, I suppose. I’m a man, and I can’t remember the last time I wore aftershave or cologne. My wife doesn’t wear perfume, and I don’t think she ever has. But some of my other girlfriends have, and – holy shit – the right scent could make me feel tingly in all sorts of places. I remember one girl in college who did overdo it to the point that I could tell when she was on our floor recently in the dorm but, still, that stuff made me weak at the knees.

I would never buy or use it for myself, but my wife likes it so sometimes I use a tiny spritz of aftershave.

I just dap lemon extract behind each ear. It drives the girls wild.

…well their eyes widen and they giggle. I assume that’s their wild look.