Men's nipples

I guess this has been asked a million times before, but why do men have nipples. And why are they erogenous. Not complaining, just curiuos.

I once lost my corkscrew and had to live on food and water for several days
(W.C. Fields)

The genes in mammals that lead to the development of the mammaries are present regardless of the sex of an individual. In humans, other hormonal activities cause the female breast to enlarge with fatty tissue ay puberty, but the structure is there on both sexes. (That is why men with hormonal imbalances can develop breasts.)

As to erogenous zones, I would guess the same thing applies–nerve endings are part of the basic structure.

I will also point out that going to Cecil in the archives should generally be the first thing one does when seeking knowledge:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_093.html .

Tom~

They break up the blankness of the male chest; and on me they are NOT erogenous; they hurt if messed with.

I feel for ya, buddy. My nipples are very erogenous. My wife can drive me through the roof by playing them skillfully.

The best lack all conviction
The worst are full of passionate intensity.

I wonder what proportion of men have erogenous nipples? (For those keeping score, mine are.)

We seem to have encountered some topic drift, since the original post was about putatively erroneous nipples.

Are you educated, erudite and maybe a bit eccentric?
Please help us test a new web game!

reread the original post. Erogenous.

Sorry about having to repeat the topic, I searched the achive using the search engine, but it came up blank.
If people want to hold a poll to find out what % of men have erogenous nipples, go ahead.

(W.C. Fields)

Erogenous, for sure.
Peace,
mangeorge

Does anybody know anything regarding any theories about woolly mammoths having active mammaries in both species? I just wonder if there is some historical example of male mammaries.

I don’t want to make people think like me, I want them to think like me of their own free will.

I have heard, but not seen the citations, that there have been documented cases of men producing breast milk after their nipples have been sufficiently stimulated. I remain somewhat skeptical, though the person who told me is generally reliable, but if it is true I would find it very interesting from a standpoint of evolutionary biology.

The best lack all conviction
The worst are full of passionate intensity.

Spitus Mundi-
men producing breast milk after their nipples have been sufficiently stimulated.

just how much stimulation? and how was the resarch done? and for why?

(W.C. Fields)

sorry, Spiritus, my spilling’s a bit off

(W.C. Fields)

Spiritus: I’ve heard the same thing. My best guess is that (I’m trying not to giggle from the visual) way before formula and wet-nurses, men were the breastfeeding backups.

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Here’s what Cecil had to say about men’s nipples and their lactation:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_093.html

Score another one for erogenous. Though she tends to bite them. Not that I mind.

Interesting - in the article quoted above Cecil makes mention of ‘Witches Milk’ which presumably means actual lactate from a newborn baby boy. Does this happen with girls too? It would seem at least as likely with girls.

Men’s nipples are there for us ladies to play with! You know you men are almost as sensitive there as us women are and I like to do a little tongue action on my boyfriends ‘nips’ which turns him on a bit before I apply myself further down. :wink:

So that’s how the research is done! Iwas wondering. Can I volunteer myself for further experimentation?

(W.C. Fields)

you know, i haven’t played with my bf’s nipples for quite some time. thanks for the reminder. :slight_smile:

“I play the fool, Pyotr Alexandrovitch, to make myself agreeable.”
–Fyodor Pavlovitch, Brothers Karamazov

I’m not a guy but I figured I’d throw in my 2cents about my nipples, since I can :slight_smile:

Mine are totally NOT sensitive, and they never have been. A fun game with past boyfriends has been “let me close my eyes, and you touch my nipple, and I’ll tell you when(if) I can feel it”… I always lost.

Teeming Millions: http://fathom.org/teemingmillions
“Meat flaps, yellow!” - DrainBead, naked co-ed Twister chat
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com