Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius books are totally awesome

Where have these things been all of my life!?

They’re just so totally insane, brilliant, hilarious, and weird. This is, to me, what James Bond must be to other people. He’s like a video game characters - he’s dead, he’s alive, he respawns, he cavorts from one insane adventure to the next.

How did I never hear of these before now!?

Funny, my mom just sent me a couple of 30-year-old (!) boxes of books from my early teen years from her attic, and among them were a bunch from the Eternal Champion series (which include the Jerry Cornelius books). It was really clever, fun stuff, but I can’t speak to why you’d never heard of them. :slight_smile:

I loved them but unfortunately I can’t say much more since it’s been decades since I’ve read them and memory is dim. I recommend reading some of Moorcock’s fantasy, so you can understand the in-jokes Moorcock was making with his own Mythos.

Because they do not exist in the real universe, but only in the intermediate universe you fall through on your way to the Jerry Cornelius universe. You’ve know you’ve reached the Jerry Cornelius universe when you find yourself exchanging ideas on an interweb message board with Jerry’s girlfriend, who has turned fully lesbian because of your messages.

I loved Elric,Hawkmoon and the rest but could never get into the Jerry Cornelius books myself.

Tried rereading Elric a little while and found it "Different"to my recollections,as in not so good so maybe its time to have another crack at the J.C. novels,maybe I’ve grown into them by now though have tried again and again with the Dune series and it never worked.

Jerry Cornelius novels? Weird - I only know him from Moebius’ comic book series, but it appears he was given permission to use the character. Are the novels as strange as Moebius’ comics (which he made up as he went along - never planning the next issue)?

Funny thing. A few weeks ago something reminded me of the Jerry Cornelius books, and I actually looked him up (and Moorcock) on Wikipedia, hoping to find out what the hell was supposed to be good about them.

Back in the '60s and '70s I loved Science Fiction (in print form - most movie and TV SF sucks, apart, maybe, from the original Star Trek), and devoured it in great quantities. I read and quite enjoyed some of Moorcock’s stuff (although it was all uneven and self-indulgent), and some of the other so called “new wave” SF, but the Jerry Cornelius books and stories just left me baffled, bored, and faintly depressed. I persevered with them quite a bit, since so many people raved about them, but in the end I gave up. There seemed to be no coherent plot (or even timeline), and no real characters either, since the personalities and other characteristics associated with one or another name (Jerry, Una, Catherine, etc.) were changing all the time. I sometimes wondered if I had missed some vital book or story of the “sequence” (although, being totally non-linear, it is not really a sequence) that would make everything fall into place, and persevered for a while trying to find it, but eventually it became to much of a chore. The Cornelius books, I concluded, were lazily written potboiling crap - what Moorcock did when he couldn’t be bothered to think of even rudimentary plots or characters - being cleverly marketed to gullible SF fans, who wouldn’t know any better, as avant-garde art.

I hoped the Wikipedia entries might be able to explain to me what I had missed, or at least what the hell the damned story was meant to be. They did make rather more sense than the books themselves, but they did not persuade me to change my opinion.