[QUOTE=Ludovic]
I congratulate you on your very successful career. I know this because you no doubt have been able to overcome the prejudice against people of your skin tone with your amazing psychic mind-reading ability.
When are you trying out for the Randi prize?
[/QUOTE]
Hm! Well, that didn’t take long, did it? (And thanks, cowgirl, for backing me up.)
While I wish that I had the energy to offer a clever response, I don’t right now (have to go to bed so I can get up at 23:30 for my very successful career as a third-shift legal word processor, which I do in order to pay the bills while I study towards a degree which I hope will get me an actual very successful (well, intellectually and spiritually fulfilling, anyway) career.
I’ll just second what **cowgirl ** said. I’m not the first black man to say this, and I won’t be the last. Oh, and this kind of shit doesn’t happen to white folks–not the way it happens to black folks. What, do you think we make this shit up for giggles? Do you think there’s a conspiracy among rational, sane black folks to make guilty liberal white folks feel bad just because we (think we) can? You think I dig going out into the world everyday, knowing that some anonymous white person who knows nothing about me beyond the color of my skin (and, too, some non-anonymous white people who who know more about me beyond the color of my skin) will act in ways that let me know that, no matter how many Ivy League degrees I might obtain, no matter how successful a (legitimate) career I might ultimately have (please, Og, don’t fail me now), no matter how many jail cells and prisons I’ve **never ** been in, I am still, and will remain, for them and many, many more like them, just. A. Nigger? Yeah, man, good times. Pass the watermelon. (Lest folks get the wrong impression: Going into the world everday under these circumstances is generally not that deep for me. I mean, it doesn’t paralyze me or anything like that. You realize that it can happen, and that, somewhere along the way, it probably will happen, but with years of experience, you learn to weave these experiences into the fabric of your day–and existence–when it does happen. Not that it doesn’t sting sometimes–it does–but you do learn how to survive and go on about your business. You fight the battles that you can fight, and you learn that others are simply not worth your energy/time.)
[QUOTE=Ludovic]
I am not questioning the actions, I am questioning the deprecations we supposedly leave unuttered but nonetheless thought. Even Jesse Jackson understands that you would avoid strange people in a bad section of town, it doesn’t mean that you are slurring them in your mind.
[/QUOTE]
I almost can’t believe you went down to the strawman-o-mart and came back with this, though I’m not surprised, either, that you did.
Hell, I’m not even sure how to respond.
You surely cannot seriously be attempting to confuse what I said with…aww, fuck it. Will someone just please hand me the matches?
[QUOTE=Ludovic]
I’ve never called anyone that, not even in my mind. Of course, that will be hard to avoid since it is now a Blue Elephant. But the number of times that will inevitably happen can’t compare to the number of times I’ve been singled out by my race, which is undoubtedly several orders of magnitude less than most black people, but at the same time infinitely more times than how often I personally do it.
[/QUOTE]
You’ve never called anyone that, not even in your mind? Obviously I can’t speak to that, so I’ll have to take your word for it (which I have no problem doing). But tell me something, please. What do **you ** think a white person is thinking when, upon seeing an average black man in the course of their travels, they do (and you seem to acknowledge as much) what I claim they do? Not in North Philly, not in still-gritty parts of Harlem, or [insert your local ghetto here], and not in the dark of night, but in broad daylight in Mid-town Manhattan or, say, the campus of Columbia University? Or are you not as able to read minds as well as I?
And I’ll second **lisacurl’s ** :rolleyes: while I gather up the courage to read your response to my other post. I almost shudder.