Michi Does Hawaii!

I was fortunate enough to visit Oahu a few years back. I thought the island as a whole was the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

Before my dad and bro moved to Captain Cook, they lived in Kailua Kona. I know they will make sure I have a great time.

Bear, you might be a little big to fit in my suitcase. If I put you in there, I wouldn’t have any room for my clothes! Oh, well, maybe that’s a good thing. :wink:

I certainly hope it goes better than your Utah experience.

Erm, you aren’t going to have a layover for refueling in DFW by any chance, are you?

And “Cyndar” makes you sound like a villain from the Powerpuff Girls, BTW.

“Look out, Bubbles!”
“What is it, Buttercup?”
“It’s CYNDAR!!! She’s getting ready to shower us with biohazard waste from the vet ER!”
“EEEEEEEEE!!! Save us, Blossom!”

Yeah, if when you go is not during the summer. Tried Kailua beach a whole buncha times this summer and it was always crowded, frickin’ pissed me off. Still nice and all, but no longer the quiet getaway it used to be. For some nice “quiet time,” I recommend finding a nice stretch of Kahala beach. It’s not as good for swimming - rocks and coral and all that, not too far in the waterline - but it’s still great for sunbathing, making out (not that I would know :rolleyes:) and things of that sort. Very quiet and peaceful, and you can drool over the million-dollar mansions that line the beach. (Or you can just park at the Kahala Mandarin and take advantage of the fact that there really is no such thing as a private beach, regardless of what they would have you think.)

Well, have fun all. I’ll be at Hawaiian Brian’s having my ass kicked by Miss AudreyK at pool, darts, and assorted video games. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sour Grapes?? Doesn’t that mean you were mad at me? You weren’t mad at me for something were you?

Thanks, Audrey!

Bear_Nenno: “… I will even be willing to carry your luggage.”

Well Bear_Nenno, if Michi visits my Web site at http://www.travelite.org, she can go to Hawaii with just her carry-on bag… and then you won’t have any luggage to carry (and you won’t fit in her carry-on).

Random asked: “Any Hawaiian Dopers have any suggestions on what to see or do?”

Hey Random, not to be picky because most people don’t know this, but “Hawaiian” when talking about people, refers specifically to the indigenous Native Hawaiians who live there. It’s a formally recognized ethnic, as well as cultural race. I could have lived in Hawaii 80 years and I would have still never become a Hawaiian, just like your living in Alaska for 80 years wouldn’t have made you an Inuit.

AudreyK reports: “Pearl Harbor and Arizona Memorial are must-sees, for obvious reasons.”

They are also free, too, I think (otherwise the admission is very cheap). While you’re there, try visiting the USS Bowfin submarine museum – unless you’re seriously claustrophobic. It’s a retired submarine and you get to walk through it. MOST interesting.

“Beyond that, it’s really a matter of your tastes. I like our aquarium and zoo and botanical gardens, but I’m not sure if you dig that kind of stuff.”

Our Waikiki Aquarium has one of the best nautilus exhibits around. The aquarium is small, but very well done. Since I have friends who work there, let me encourage you to go.

If you’re into doing outdoor things, you might also consider taking the easy hike up to the top of Diamond Head. I understand there is now an admission fee, but the view is to die for.

– Baglady

KKBattousai: Just watch where you throw those darts, buster!
You know, I was not surprised to read that you know where all the good make-out beaches are. :stuck_out_tongue:
Random: Anytime! I hope you have a good time here. :slight_smile:

For the record, there are plenty of make-out beaches that I don’t know about. Kahala just so happens to be the most readily accessible one. I always did want to make out in the tree-cave at Kailua beach though…

Lots of great make out beaches? Great. I’m going to Hawaii to visit my father and my brother. :frowning:

**Cyndar ** lamented: “Lots of great make out beaches? Great. I’m going to Hawaii to visit my father and my brother.” :frowning:

The good news, Michi… do you like swimming or snorkeling? Captain Cook has some of the best snorkeling around. I’ve gone scuba diving and snorkeling there several times over the years (my scuba club used to take twice-annual trips to the Big Island to go diving). Awesome and spectacular. You’ll love it!

Unfortunately there isn’t a tremendous lot to do there, if you’re into big malls and stuff. Just figure on going there to relax and decompress. You’re in serious boonie country so enjoy it for what it is.

Swimming and snorkeling??? Are you out of your mind??? You are talking to a woman who won’t go near the water! I swim in POOLS, not in any water where THINGS live. If I go to the beach I stay firmly on the beach and will dump bottled water over my head if I need to cool off.

I am sure my father will take me to other, more populated places while I am there.

Well…if you want to take advantage of the make-out beaches (and me), I’m sure something can be arranged… :wink:

Anyone else find this kinda ironic coming from a vet tech? :wink:

This from a woman who lives in Florida and is going to Hawaii, two states whose tourist trade is based on their proximity to the ocean. :D:D

You’d like Arizona, then. No ocean, lots of pools.