Microsoft, 'Palladium Chip' and the Government: Internet Censorship?

On another website I am involved with a member has raised an interesting issue. He refers to developments at Microsoft regarding a ‘Fritz’ chip and the use of ‘Palladium’ software which can control which sites the PC user is able to access. The inference is that upon installation of the software (inference it is mandatory with forthcoming MS versions) Microsoft has the ability to effectively check which sites you are visiting on the net and block access to sites it (MS) doesn’t support.

Part of the poster’s article states:

"In an effort to ensure that the evil of piracy is defeated, M$ intends to utilise a combined hardware and software solution. They want a so-called ‘Fritz chip’ inside your PC, working alongside new software (Palladium) that essentially hands total control of your PC over to M$. Together they will tell you precisely what hardware you can put inside your box. Only hardware suppliers ‘trusted’ by M$ will be allowed to sell PC components. It will not surprise you to learn that the only software allowed to run on the new systems will be from ‘trusted’ software houses.

This will give M$ total control over what documents you may or may not open, create and save, and even what web-sites you may or may not visit. Even better as far as M$ is concerned, you will never ‘own’ M$Office again, or any of their software. You will lease it, on an ongoing basis. You will pay, pay and pay again.

The offensive thing here is that Microsoft and the entertainment industry clearly regard you as a potential crook. Most people neither own pirated software or copy and sell pirated films and music, and yet with the attempt to introduce these technologies they are accusing you of piracy before the act. Clearly the notion of ‘trust’ works only one way - you are expected to ‘trust’ M$ not to abuse your rights to privacy, and yet they do not ‘trust’ you to use their software legally and responsibly.

The implications go far beyond ‘piracy’, this technology will be used to blanket ban whole classes of publications, as and when either the government or M$ see fit."
Question is - is this actually happening or not, and does anyone have any further info on this if any or all is correct?

there is some good info on this here - http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

If such a thing comes to pass, I fully expect the number of Linux instalations to skyrocket.

If the entertainment industry has its way, your computer will become little more than a glorified CD and DVD player. And it wil crash now and then just to remind you that Microsoft Windows is installed on it.

If this is true, then I am pretty well scared. OK, Microsoft have made no bones about their desire to spy for a considerable amount of time. That is their choice, and yours too if you buy their products. The entertainment industry…argh…funny thing here, and I may be in the minority, but since the advent of mp3’s and illegal downloading, I have actually purchased more legitimate CD’s (as a result of smapling the bands) than ever before.

Solutions:

AMD processors (I have heard little about their involvement if any). Linux/BSD etc OS’s on this architecture.

Mac

Sun

Anything else you care to add. Really though, if this happens will we see the end of MS? Doubtful, as most people will probably,and sadly, not care. But it will, i hope, cut deeply into their market share

Note that the Fritz chip is part of TCPA, not Palladium. TCPA is the hardware part, and it’s only scary because of the kind of software control it makes possible. Palladium is Microsoft’s plan for that software control, and it’s scary because it’s designed to keep you from having control over your own computer.

But yes, it is happening, they are trying to force it on consumers. And unless people wise up and realize that copyright isn’t a one-way street, that they have rights which Palladium will prevent them from exercising, then pretty soon you won’t really own your computer at all.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news…

Somewhere I read that some major financial institutions are switching away from MS in favor of Linux, because their legal departments feel that due to the wording of some of the License Agreements on recent OS upgrades, it’s impossible for them to maintain their legal obligation of customer privacy and continue to use MS software.

I’d post a cite, but I can’t seem to find the article with a quick google. :frowning:

Yoda says: Go Mac, then, I would…mmm…

I’ve been hearing about stuff like this for a while. It really confuses me why they’d do such a thing… I’m sure it would spark a massive anti-Microsoft campaign and instead of getting money from “trusted” groups, most companies would refuse to get trusted status, and Windows would be slaughtered by Macs and Linux.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/29039.html

MS snuck DRM (digital rights management) into Media Player 9.