Microsoft's One Drive

So, I tried to upgrade to Office 365 2016, which included a new version of One Drive. One Drive promptly started throwing up errors, saying it couldn’t authenticate because the server was using the wrong version.

So, I go look on the internet. People have been complaining about this since the new version came out. Has Microsoft fixed it? Of course not.

There is a fix out there, but you have to wade through pages of stupid Microsoft support threads to find out the fix. And the reason I call these threads stupid, is because the Microsoft tech support people keep giving out stupid responses, like “Reboot the Computer.” Or uninstall and re-install the software. Which is not the problem at all. The problem is that Microsoft’s stupid new version of One Drive messes up the credentials stored in the Windows Credentials Manager. Oh, and then the cache might be corrupted, so you might have to clear that cache and force a resync from scratch. But you gotta wade through a bunch of irrelevant “advice” from Microsoft techs to figure that out.

And this problem has apparently been going on for months. Seriously, they break their cloud storage solution and then don’t even respond to a pretty serious problem properly.

I looked into cloud storage very recently and decided it wasn’t for me.

I don’t like the idea of having to pay for my own files in perpetuity, not to mention who knows who’s looking at my stuff (read the fine print very carefully!). I’d much rather pay once for a bunch of external drives and have backups of my backups of my backups all under my exclusive control. Although ironically, the external drives I bought each include 200GB of OneDrive for 2 years with product registration.

Any cloud storage service worth it’s salt will be encrypting your files on their servers, so no one is looking at them.

The main draw is of course convenience. you don’t have to carry those files with you, and thanks to a number of apps, it’s easy to get at them from pretty much any device, anywhere with internet access. And, if there’s a fire at your place, or you are robbed, that data on your drives is gone, but anythign in the cloud survives.

I’ve opted for a combo: a NAS for local backups of large data sets, mostly for easy of restoring the data, and cloud backup for things I don’t want gone in case of fire/theft - family pictures and videos and important documents get backed up to the cloud. It also makes sharing those family pics and videos that much easier.

Meet my mom for lunch? I cna whip out my phone and show her the latest pics of my son regardless of who took them or with what.

EDIT:

My cloud solutions are provided by google/Amazon/dropbox. I tried One drive, and it’s previous incarnation, and had nothing but trouble with that service. Issues syncing across devices, issues with certain devices not having access to various file types, etc.

Good riddance.

I ended up rolling back to the previous versions of Office/One Drive. What a time-waster.

Its safe to shop at Target my data won’t be compromised.
That Ashley Madison account; it’s private.
My employment info on the federal government servers; surely I don’t need to worry about that!

I don’t have such top secret stuff that I’m so much worried about hacking as who’s holding my data & how stable they are. Are all these companies running their own server farms or is its third party? What happens if someone suddenly shuts down?

I prefer an external HDD stored off site, at a relatives a friends or at work. Besides, I shoot so much photos & videos that I’ve maxed out my 50Gb DropBox account; I shot about 35 GB of raw footage at just one event last weekend & that was neither 4k video or RAW photos.

I guess you can worry about what some hacker group would do with your ENCRYPTED data. I wouldn’t lose much sleep over it though. They can spend the next million years trying to see baby pictures of my boy if they want.

It’s fine with me if someone doesn’t want to use the cloud, I resisted it for a long time too, and I have some stuff that I still don’t put up there.

But, the writing is on the wall. In 20 years, everyone will have all their stuff on the cloud. And then some government will set off an EMP, and all that data will be destroyed, and I’ll never have to deal with it again. And I’ll set off on a journey by foot to Seattle to Microsoft’s desolate campus and ponder how those assholes ruined my day today.

I’m not a fan of cloud storage myself, but that’s a matter of preference. I submit that the essential problem here was that you picked Microsoft, rather than any of several other providers with less history of monumental ineptitude. (Not to address relative evility, but Microsoft has also been stewing in their evil for longer than the others.) If people would stop giving them money for doing things badly, they would either start doing them better or (eventually) go away.

Microsoft’s View Your Office 365 Service Health Dashboard page indicates what elements of 365 are fucked up at any given time. It doesn’t help me fix it’s problem du jour, but it does help me decide when to start trying to fix it’s problem, for trying to fix something that Microsoft indicates is still buggered up is a waste of time.

When clicking on the problem du jour’s “additional information” button, usually it will indicate that they buggered an update, so the trick is to wait until it has finished its cycle of issuing a panic update that tries to fix the previous panic update that tried to fix the previous panic update that tried to fix the previous panic update . . .

Huh. I’ve been using OneDrive, on every PC I’ve owned in the past couple of years (probably 5 or 6, including the Windows tablets), and never had any problems. And I have an Office 365 subscription so I thought I always had the latest version of Office. Apparently I have OneDrive “Version 2015 (Build 17.3.6301.0127)”, do you have something newer?

That’s the version I have as well. Windows Update tells me I have nothing to Update. I am also using Office 365 and Windows 10 Home. I have the 2016 version of Office installed.

I’ve updated 3 computers to use Office 365 2016, without problems, but sometimes shit happens. Always make a restore point before doing anything major.

Thanks, that’s useful. I didn’t know about that page.

All it takes is one Id10t with a backhoe to frack up your cloud. My eggs NEVER go only in one basket.

I use Dropbox.
It’s synced to my machines, so my data exists in several places.
Extremely convenient if you work on the same projects from multiple computers.

Microsoft 365 does not leave you with all your eggs in one basket. Aside from Microsoft’s data protection on its end, 365 can be set to continuously synch cloud data with one’s own computers. Think of it as a central hub that both saves and disseminates data. Since each individual computer should have data backup in place regardless of whether or not it uses 365, it makes it pretty hard to lose data.

A typical installation of 365 has you using your stand-alone computer’s Microsoft Outlook (contact list, email and calendar), Word (word processing), Excel (spreadsheet), Powerpoint (presentation) and other Microsoft programs to create or work with data that you keep on your computer. It then uploads a copy of this data to Onedrive (the cloud). Whatever data is uploaded to the cloud is then downloaded to other stand-alone computers are up and running.

For example, I have a stand-alone computer at the office with a separate backup unit, and at home I have a couple of laptops, all using 365. Each of those computers has an online backup not associated with Microsoft. When I create a document (be it saving a new letter or saving an email), it ends up being stored by Microsoft in the cloud, and on all three of my computers, and on three non-microsoft cloud backups, and on the office backup unit. That’s the original document plus seven backups.

The problem isn’t one of putting all your eggs in one basket. The problem is one of the frequency and duration of 365 failures that leave you relying on alternate solutions. In other words, when it works well it really is terrific, particularly if you work from office, home, on the road on laptops (and on cell phones and computers that don’t have its programs installed via its 365 web applications), and when it fails you do not lose anything other than a bit of time, but since time is money, the frequency and duration of the failures is a bit of an embuggerance.

I use OneDrive to backup my main computer to Microsoft’s cloud. Then I use a little laptop as a thin client to stream music from OneDrive or look at picture folders. I use the OneNote Windows 10 app for editing cloud-saved OneNote Notebooks on the laptop. The Notebooks are automatically updated on my desktop which has the full Office 365 installed. (I could put the full Office on my little laptop, but I haven’t bothered since I don’t use it for anything but web surfing and streaming video.)

I also backup my files from the main computer to a local USB drive, for convenience. It all happens when I’m not looking.