Middle Earth FA65 D&D Game: Next Adventure – (11th)

Felareth nods. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

There is the sound of something giving in the door and Bitur sees it will take all 3 fighters to push the door open.

They push hard and are moving some rubble or debris or maybe a box also.

Inside is a pentagram shaped room with many boxes piled up as a wall and two partially protected trolls ready to heave rocks at the party.

Character Race AC hp dv Init roll Mv
Trolgan Troll 17 20
Gwaelur Khazad Dwarf 19/23 70 120’ 2 19 25’
Ghân-buri-Ghân Wose 20 49 60’ 3 17 30’
Felareth Took Hobbit 17 48 0 3 13 25’
Hejren Wood Elf 14/17* 38 120’ 4 13 35’
Slox Trolls 2 clubs 25 13
Gilraen Telcontar Dúnedain (½ Elf) 16** 51 60’ 4 12 45’
Thoroncir Dúnedain 17/19 57 0 +3 adv 11 30’
Ceol Rohirrim 17 53-28 0 2 4 30’
Bitur son of Bofur Khazad Dwarf 18/21 57 60’ 2 3 25’

Several things are immediately apparent, the defensive wall was built in haste and several of those large healing containers litter the floor. The chamber is 44’ across and the walls are perfectly smooth as if made with magic. A weird glow is coming from behind the boxes near the far point of the room. Finally a large rock is coming directly for Ceol. It hits and is followed by a 2nd one. This one would also hit. He is down 55 points that quick and fall unconscious.
(Unless someone can stop one of the hits)

Gwaelur is next to go, see the chart above.

Not sure if my 19 roll will allow him to make any saves. If so use it.

Magic Missile Trolgan when it is my actual turn.

Felareth sneers at Trolgan as he throws the second rock.

“Flabby old troll couldn’t gum through an old boot even if it had been boiled.”

(Use Cutting Words to attempt to throw Trolgan’s aim off.)

((Waiting to see if the second boulder is prevented from hitting Ceol before I post a reply. :slight_smile: ))

For some reason I couldn’t add my round’s action.

Felareth will cast a Cure Wounds spell on Ceol using a 3rd level spell slot to heal 3d8+5.

Important piece of info I failed to provide, the wall of boxes and crates is 8’ tall.

The cutting words was just enough to prevent the second hit!

“Cover me”, Gwaelur growls, and he charges at the trolls shield out to protect from falling rocks.

Situation change.

Since Ceol is no longer down and dying, Felareth will grab his mandarin and sing a barbed song.

“Grotty old Slox
Couldn’t hit a dwarf beneath his feet.”

Cast Vicious Mockery at Slox. If he fails his Will save his next attack is at disadvantage (if taken before the end of his turn).

Bitur and Grávund will also rush up to engage the trolls in melee when their turn finally comes.

(There’s worse things to roll a “1” on than initiative.)

Ceol staggers backwards a step when the first boulder hits him, letting out a gasp as the force of the impact knocks the wind out of him. He then barely dodges the second boulder, thanks to Felareth’s Cutting Words.

He will then move forward as best as he is able, towards the trolls.

Ghan will do Healing Spirit at 3rd level (i.e. 1 level up) - as usual on the most injured party member.

(He cast Unicorn Totem earlier today, so I don’t think he can use it again yet, correct?)

Thoroncir grits his teeth, raises his sword and charges forward as well.

Gwaelur charges the crate wall, shield deployed for protection. He heads for a spot where he would just have to scramble up 4’ and then another 4’ next round to attack. So he moves his 25’ then uses his action to move the rest of the way and get part way up.

Ghân casts Healing Spirit at 3rd healing Ceol 2d6 (+11) this round. His Totem is not available until after a rest.

Felareth successfully casts Vicious Mockery on Slox, the bigger troll, yet to go. He takes 1 point of damage and has disadvantage on his next attack.

Hejren hits Trolgan with 3 magic missiles for 14.

Slox throws at the charging Ceol, with disadvantage he misses. Slox just misses with his a large heavy golden goblet on his second throw. The goblet is now damaged.

Gilraen lifts her Bauble and the light quickly gathers, casting deep shadows over the edges of the room. She exclaims loudly, Cálë . An elven word for Light. She uses it to blind the trolls. But something weird happens this time, her target Slox screams in agony similar to the troll that the party recently saw turn to stone. The magic aware feel there was a surge of power with her command like they haven’t seen but once with her. That time she was destroy a symbol of the enemy and the powers moved through her was her description.

Slox takes half his full damage from being partially turned to stone and is blind!

Gilraen almost swoons but keeps her feet.

Thoroncir & Ceol make it to the barrier and start to scramble up. As all 3 warriors have Athletics, this is no problem. It is a barrier and not a true wall. Bitur follows them and will scramble over just after them.

Trolgan duck a little so he cannot be seen by the support group. He is clearly fearful of horrible beams of light and nasty painful magic missiles. He awaits Gwaelur getting over the barrier and strikes quickly after backing off to the far corner of the chamber. He is behind a mysterious machine of bronze & laen gears, springs, forks, levers, balance wheels and weights. It seems to be powered somehow by a strange glowing crystal flame.

Gwaelur blocks the first missile with his shield, but a second rock hits him for 24. Gwaelur gets over and jumps to the ground with a heavy thud and realizes he can only reach the blind Slox this round. He has advantage vs. the blind foe and hits twice with Great Weapon Master for 47.

Ghân heals Ceol another 8 as Gwaelur is not visible. He throws Entangle on Trolgan who rolls a 2 to fail. Now advantage to hit him.

Felareth fires a firebolt at Slox and just hits, the 11 points is enough to drop Slox.

Hejren dashes to where she could be on top of the crates in case she is needed next round.

Gilraen catches her breath.

Thoroncir, Ceol & Bitur assault Trolgan with advantage and they take him down!

The trolls are defeated.

Ghan congratulates the party, moves so he can see all our Fighters, keeps concentration on Healing Spirit (until all are cured) but stops the Entangle.

Well done.

Let’s take a look at this thing.

Bitur begins to examine the mysterious machine.

Apply my spell, if it is still lingering, to the device, as well as my Lore skills and etc.

Between Gilraen using the Healing feat on Ceol & Gwaelur and Ghân’s Healing Spirit the party is shortly healed.

The Dwarves, Hejren & Felareth gather together to study the strange device which is radiating very strong magic to the detect magic. It is a weird contraption that no troll could have made. It looks more like some strange engine of Saruman than anything a troll could make. It is a series of bronze & laen gears, springs, forks, levers, balance wheels and weights. It seems to be powered somehow by a strange glowing crystal flame.

It is 3’x2’x2’ in dimension. Finest of craftsmanship.