Middle Earth FA65 D&D Game: Next Adventure – (11th)

Felareth skook his head. "I haven’t either.##"For just a moment, I saw all of creation - and I couldn’t cope. My mind nearly shut down, but miraculously I saw how to draw back in time.

“I wouldn’t recommend doing tht again.”

“So what do we want to do about this machine, and the large volume of supplies in the crates and boxes? Removing the timepiece will probably stop the machine from doing whatever it’s meant to do in 11 days, barring this timepiece having really long distance effect. But as much as I love to tinker with stuff, even I’m wary about poking around with magical engineering marvels whose purpose is not readily apparent.”

Bitur adds, “If we want to wait a day, I can try my hand at magically identifying this, though, I don’t particularly desire to see all of creation during the process…”

Ghan resists the temptation to stamp his foot. :flushed:

“By all means search the boxes for Galvorn.
But this fascinating device is not why we came all this way.
Please let’s check the Chief’s secret door!
Once we’ve done that, we still have over a week to consider what to to with the machine.”

Gilraen suggests the Ghan, Ceol, Bitur & Gwaelur check the secret door and we’ll slowly open the crates that Bitur indicates are safe to touch. That should save time and keep this room protected.

Date: May 27

Yes, that sounds like a good plan Gilraen. I don’t want to spend more time in the room with this magical device than I have to anyway. Let’s go check out the secret door.

“A very good plan, indeed, your highness.” Ceol will work with the others to investigate the secret door.

“Yes, we should search here for the Shining Black, while also checking out that secret door. That way we can save a bit of time.”

Felareth will set to and start with crates filled with coins, as he feels it’s easier to conceal this metal in with other things.

Ghan shows Ceol, Bitur & Gwaelur where the secret door is in room 11 on the map.

He explains that he can’t detect traps nor open locks.
Hopefully a secret door that a Troll used wouldn’t have traps or be locked anyway.

Ghan stands back, ready to cast (just in case!) and invites the others to check the door, then open it.

Thoroncir also stands at the ready.

Bitur is a pretty good with locks, traps & secret doors. He disables a simple spring trap by having people moving out of the way and setting it off with some percussive adjustment. A heavy bolt shoots outs.

The secret door is simple to open, it is poorly crafted and poorly hidden compared to the arts of the Dwarves. Indeed Ghan noticed it the first time through as a line cut through the bits of moss growing on the wall.

Inside the Chief has his treasures. Gold, silver & other shiny things. The Gold comes out to about 12.5 pounds or a small fortune worth almost 625 gold. There is no sign of the Galvorn though.

Ghan suggests we take as much treasure as we can easily carry, share it out and use it for good.
Once this compartment has been searched (including for another secret door!), we should next examine:

• the opening behind the Wargs (2 on map)
  • the rise in area 2
  • the rubble in area 4
  • the carving in area 6

The SDMB is not letting me repost the cave map. What Exit, would you be so kind?

Date: May 27

Thoroncir agrees with Ghan as to our next steps. He will keep watch towards the sections of the tunnel complex where the entire party has not yet gone as we check each.

• Behind the wargs is small for even wargs but a good place for pups, small goblins and Hobbits. When the badger & Hobbit explore they just find a natural cave in the mountain.
  • There is nothing special about the rise in area 2. (I was just trying to give the caves a little dimensional feel.)
  • The rubble is deep and would take greater magic than the party has or a team of miners.
  • Loo apparently increased his available floor space is area 6.

It is slow going through the 10 large crates and 15 smaller boxes.

One crate has a nice set of chain mail and Gwaelur is the first to recognize the area over the chest is reinforced with 12 links of Galvorn. In all another 13 pounds of gold can be found among the boxes. There are lots of silver and lesser metals. No magic items, but that same chain mail with the Galvorn looks very enchantable.

Please reread the description of the machine, some interesting stuff to it.

Date: May 28 Hejren Portents : 15, 20

I assume a long rest is taken, Hejren swaps out Slow for Sending for the day and Sending a message to Mirëgol who then works with Warrior, her familiar to telepathically communicate with Hejren. On describing what you know so far, she suggest the machine should be brought south as fast as possible, she can use Legend Lore on it. She will come riding north with a few friends to meet you. Make haste. Though try to find the Galvorn.

Does the party want her to notify the local Dwarves about the cave so they can recover whatever the party leaves or does the party want to secure it to possibly come back for it?

Mirëgol will check in with Hejren every few hours in case anything changes and for approximate position.

Roger all of that. Casting Detect Magic on the items in the crates.

Also agreed.

If we have taken what we need we should let the local Dwarves know.

Ghan agrees with Miregol’s requests (she is our ‘sponsor’ after all! :grin:)

Therefore:

• keep checking boxes for Galvorn
  • final search elsewhere in Cave Complex for Galvorn (sadly Ghan is running out of ideas :fearful:)
  • take as much gold as we can carry (Ghan has a magical pouch and satchel, which helps a bit)
  • work out how to carry the machine to Miregol (just over 82 lb - can we strap it to a mount*?)
  • notify the local dwarves so they can collect remaining valuables

*can Bitur rig something? (Sling it between horses?) Any chance of Grávund carrying it?!