Mild Pitting - posters asking for advice and then ignoring it

If you people gave better advice, this wouldn’t happen. I blame [global] you.

:wink:

First, he has to DO something illegal - dating a sixteen year old is not illegal. THEN that something has to get reported - by herself or her parents. THEN the state needs evidence - and if her parents are consenting to the relationship and she does as well, there are going to be a decided lack of witnesses - unless he takes his sixteen year old girlfriend to orgies.

Well, I suppose they could accuse him even if he were innocent and he’d have to defend himself against that - but that doesn’t seem likely if they are inviting him to dinner.

You didn’t read the quoted post, did you? If the laws in Illinois are the same in this regard as Michigan, all he would have to do is touch her on the thigh, fully dressed. That’s enough for him to be breaking the law. Anyone in the public who saw it can report it.

Why would there be a lack of witnesses? Are they going to be cloistered in her parent’s house for the rest of their dating?

They don’t have to be having sex or planning to have sex for him to be convicted of a sex crime.

Her parents don’t need to accuse him of anything. It could be anyone who sees them.

It doesn’t bother me if people don’t use the advice their given. In the situation the OP used as an example, I didn’t think he was going to listen to anyone anyway. The sheer pathetic-ishness of his situation makes me pity him more than anything, really.

What does get mildly annoying is when someone is looking for help with something, describes what they need in the OP and then sets about to (pardon the disgusting phrase) shit all over every reasonable suggestion they are given. That won’t work because of ____________. No way to ________ because it costs too much. I can’t have _______ because of blah blah blah. No matter what is suggested, it’s not good enough and for some pretty odd reasons.

We have one person in particular who seems to do this more often than anyone else and I always wonder if she does it for attention or wants people to offer to do it/buy it for her instead. There are a few other people who I’ve seen do it, but the usual suspect(s) always makes me laugh. It’s almost like they’re wanting us to find them a magic unicorn.

You’re already surfing the SDMB, and then you’re going to worry about your precious time being wasted?

As far as I understand it, any of her teachers who heard about her dating a 27 year old (or saw anything like a touch on the thigh) would be required by law to report it. As previously stated, consent of the girl and her parents has nothing to do with it.

Sleeps With Butterflies, I know what you’re talking about, and that is definitely the most irritating way of responding to advice - rejecting everything proposed and getting huffy and short about it. It’s like the poster feels shortchanged BY FREE ADVICE FROM THE INTERNET. Honey, if we respond at all, you got your money’s worth.

Is there a third point to your post? :wink:

Cheeky monkey!

I know that. I picked up on your hostility a long time ago. I can live with that. I just normally ignore it out of politeness, which I will continue to do in the future. It really doesn’t upset me more than the tiniest smidgen. I’ve built up a tough hide over the years. Enjoy your holidays.:slight_smile:

That depends.

If the cat was dead when you duct taped it, no problem.

If it was alive, you’re a bad person;)

Why do you hate cats?

WTF? I wasn’t commenting on the sincerity-I was making a point that the situations are a HELL of a lot different.

I didn’t agree with this initially, but I think I’m starting to move in this direction.

Same guy just started an OP about DP in IMHO:

Let’s hope that his 16 year old “date” wasn’t there at the time. And let’s hope these are not the friends that she’ll be hanging out with.

That thread combined with his recent 16 year old one is setting off my troll alarms, too.

There is a certain “letters to Penthouse” quality there.
+

The SDMB isn’t the only place where people ask for advice and then ignore it. People IRL have definitely wasted my time doing this.

Even on the SDMB, there’s wasting time and there’s wasting time. It takes longer to write a post than to read one, and since most of us can only spend so much of our day on here then it is a waste of time for a poster to ask for responses that they are only going to ignore.

If he pisses her off, it could be HER.

Not a good situation to find oneself in.

I had this conversation with two now former friends. One was ALWAYS asking for advice, to which his only response was to shoot down every idea, no matter how easy, simple or obvious. Friend 2, who was the other advice giver, ultimately stopped and started ragging on Friend 1 about how he kept asking for advice with NO intention of taking any of it. Telling him to stop asking for it if his only intention and apparent interest in it was for it to serve as a bunch of clay pidgeons for him to shoot down.

An actual conversation with Friend 1;

“I’m really out of shape. I need some help getting in shape.”
“Start walking”
“No, that won’t work. (excuse, excuse, excuse)”
(extended conversation about walking to the store 1/2 mile away)
“No, that’s too far. I’d be out of breath (blah, blah, blah, long list of excuses)”
Me: :dubious: :mad:

Some people are just stupid, and you can’t fix stupid.

The other idea is that they want to think about it themselves, so they bounce it off others in a social way in order to feel like they’re contributing to the group conversation, but in fact, they’re really just speaking to themselves. (Which is a clue that, when push comes to shove, their friends only exist to entertain them, not as separate individuals in whom they take a real interest.)

Don’t know why the OP is surprised, people do this constantly in real life. No one ever really asks for advice, they ask for confirmation of their already chosen course.

Freejooky just wanted to mention Mensa, as if that is some Galactic Badge of Honor.

“Thank God for Mensa” he said. Dude, you are still a moron.

:rolleyes:

Worse than the people who ask for advice and then ignore it is the people who just keep asking until you tell them what they want to here. I can live with being ignored once, but being ignored repeatedly gets a little old.