Mindless trivia about the Pentagon Military Reservation in DC

Before Metro put in the fancy bus shelters, the commuter planes that use 15 also passed directly over the northeastern end of the bus terminal.

Per a fellow soldier who worked there before we were stationed in Turkey together, the steps outside are a designated “No Saluting” zone (whether this is still true or not I don’t know). Since it’s dangerous to walk up and down stairs while saluting, this tradition is waived, woe be the dumb lieutenant who makes a big deal out of it to an E-4.

Also, from a Reader’s Digest story I read years ago, rank definitely has its privileges and it is nowhere more conspicuous than at the Pentagon. According to the story, an full elevator opened up and a junior officer ordered everyone to make way for the two star general that was about to enter. “To hell with the Two Star!” came a voice from the back and everyone turned to see a general with more than two stars on his shoulders. The elevator closed without the two star.

Not sure if that’s 100% true, but why wouldn’t it be?

What is a “female quarterly award winner”?? I’m calling bullshit. Not only is there no such policy (formal or informal), there is no such award to be won.While there is a “Soldier of the Year” there is no such thing as “Female Soldier of the Year”.

If the Airman of the Quarter or Airman of the Year was female. Not a separate “Female” category.

Call it whatever you want, I still saw it happen.

Actually, it’s in Arlington. But don’t let that stop you.

Do they still use steel tables and desks painted battleship gray?

If no photo was available how could you know what they looked like?

“DC” is the local colloquialism for the entire metro area. The city is “The District”, and the government is “Washington”.

Speaking of metro, Metro runs The Metro.

Local colloquialism, huh, I grew up in northern Virginia and live in Washington, DC and didn’t know that. Guess I’m not local enough, maybe in my next fifty years.

I’m pretty sure NCR or DMV is the local colloquialism for the entire metro area.

And “DC” is the city.

And the Pentagon is in Virginia.

The only time I hear the term DMV for the region is either a real estate developer or someone from the burbs trying to pretend they’re not.

David Sedaris.

I see nobody has mentioned that the Pentagon is in Virginia.

I thought that the Pentagon was in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

My thought also. People who don’t like having their pictures taken (like me) can always manage to be busy when it’s picture time. I never considered that it was because I’m ugly, but I suppose that’s a possibility.

nm

Broomstick has made a habit of confusing people with the facts.

Maybe all the women in the military are hot.

Or at least the ones chosen to work at the Pentagon? That sounds a little scary, doesn’t it?

Would it still be called The Pentagon if it had six sides?

Yes.