too trivial for GQ but inquiring minds want to know: there are paper matchbooks commonly used for lighting cigarettes, and there are full-sized wooden “kitchen” matches. Is there a name for the wooden matches that are smaller than kitchen matches, that typically come in a 1 7/16" x 2 1/16" box? I don’t know what to call this size.

“Kitchenette matches”?

No, but that led me to try “small kitchen matches” which led me to the definitive name I was looking for: penny matches (though they seldom say that on the box). Thank you!

Just “matches” (just looked at the box I have here). It’s the big ones that are know as “long-reach matches”, or “fireplace matches”.

But then what kind of matches do I get for my small kitchen?

“Wooden match sticks”?