Minnesota wildlife is dangerous (MMP... the Sunday Evening Edition)

Hi, guys! I’m back, if you can believe it! It was an OK week, I mean it was fun, but it could have been better.

Taxi, great OP! Made me smile.

Anyway, I’ll be telling you all about my vacation, if you don’t mind, but first, I’m afraid we’re going to start with complaints. :frowning: Sorry. From my LiveJournal:

Great OP taxi!

Geese are mean, stupid birds. Especially the Canadian geese. They’re damn nervy too!

Goose stories. When I was four, I lived in Germany. While living in Germany we would go to visit my Oma (that’s grandma for those that don’t know what it means), who lived in a little walled town on the Altmuhtal River. There were swans, geese, and ducks there. As a mere 4 or 5 year old, I thought they were all NICE birdies. One day, while rambling down by the river, I saw a goose egg and thought, “Hm, I’ll take this home to Oma and we can hatch it and I’ll have my very own pet goose”. Well, I snatched the egg, and two geese chased me all the way back to Oma’s house. I was four or five, remember, so they seemed damn big to me. At any rate, my goose egg did not get a chance to hatch. My Oma thought it would make good eats.

The geese where I work now used to be so bad that they would literally snatch food out of your hands if you tried to enjoy your lunch outside. No, they didn’t take it while offering the food, they took it while you were trying to bring said food to your mouth. Like I said above, they were NERVY!

I’ve been chased by a swan too. Not a pleasant experience either.

I walked up on a bear while hiking; you can bet your sweet behind that I backed up very quietly and waited until I could hear the bear crashing away in the woods.

I’ve never run over a deer, but I’ve come close a couple of times.

Seagulls are nasty dirty birds. Enough said.

Spats, I’m glad you made it safely to the land of gators and bugs. I’m sorry, however, it was such a hassle.

Swampy, I’m glad you had fun at the Tampafest. You’re just a regular party animal, aren’t you? TWO bars?! My, oh my.

Well, that’s all I’ve got for now. I’ve got to do some actual work now.

I didn’t know there were as many as two bars in Tampa…not exactly Sin City, is it?

And why has no one castigated me for not painting? I need a mom, I tells ya…

:smiley:

Off to paint and listen to the new Dixie Chicks CD, which I really like alot (and I dont’ like country music).

Mika --family-can’t live with 'em, can’t shoot 'em. What are you to do? Live far, far away…and knee Sam in the nuts if he starts with the touchy feely stuff again. Ew.

Good morning, all. Typical Monday for me.

I heard on NPR one Saturday that Canadian geese actually pass as much crap in a day as a person. Just think of that - something roughly 1/4 our size leaves just as much behind. In some parts of the country, that’s the major cause of pollution in the rivers.

And taxi, sounds like you need to learn how to stop on those blades pretty soon. If this is a typical day for you out on the paths, it’s for your own safety.

ok - all caught up.
**taxi ** - great story - can’t wait to hear/read more
When I was a wee bairn, we used to feed the ducks at the park. they were behind the fence, so us kiddies would break up the stale bread and reach in thru the chain links. The ducks came rght up to us and took the bread from our hands. More than once I got nipped by a bill. (which is not the same thing at all as being nibbled by Bill, which is much preferred) As for the geese - office parks on Lawn Guylandt are full of the critters. They walk right up to you scrounging for snacks. I got chased by one once. I was walking to my car, and apparently this involved what the goose viewed as crossing his territory. I barely got to my car without being attacked.
**'Mika ** - what sort of fun things did you do on your vaca?

I’m sorry your family was such a pain, Mika, and anxiously await tales of Vegas debauchery.

Chores and then work today. Guess what? This evening I’m working with Shiftless Git. Mr. the-government-is-evilly-taking-away-some-of-my-welfare-cause-I’m-working-can-you-pay-me-under-the-table? Mr I’m-in-a-Saturday-frame-of-mind-and-can’t-work. Mr. if-it’s-smoggy-I-can’t-work-I-get-migraines.

So I’m closing with him tonight. I may kill him. Justifiable homicide.

No jury would convict.

Off to paint, really!

Today I’m doing NOTHING. The sweet, sweet bliss!

(I might be watching a movie or two later and cleaning my room. Incidental trivial things.)

It’s gorgeous and I have the sudden need to fly a kite outside. Anybody want to join me?

Actually, three if you count the one that was…you know…that kinda bar. :wink:

Only if we can then jump into a sidewalk chalk drawing and travel to a cartoon carnival

That sounds fun. Oh, Kyth, I’m pretty sure I can go to the Serenity screening. I’ll email you.
They’re testing the fire alarm in my building. I think I’ll go get some groceries.

LiLi you tell Shiftless Git that you have permission from the Cool Kids you hang out with to shoot him if he slacks off too much. Everybody knows that Cool Kids never get in trouble. That should crank him up!

Rigs you painting yet? Get to it! Those walls won’t paint themselves you know! Pick up that brush and get started right now young lady! I said NOW! That help? :smiley:

Ok, off to eat sushi. YUMMMMMMMMMMM!!! Sushi!

Misread as: Minnesota wife is dangerous

So tired. Cousin’s wedding yesterday, I ended up getting drunk and staying over. Now I’m going back to bed.

Actually, the correct term is Canada goose, not Canadian goose. Unless, of course, the goose was born in Canada.

it’s easy to tell this breed from the others by their cry - “honk, eh? honk, eh?”

Well, that’s another thread altogether.

I happen to know that if you get them pregnant so they’ll be due at the end of a long hot summer, they can become downright hostile. I had a long weekend of “yes Dear”.

I took Friday the 26th off work, so I managed to finish packing on that day. The SO left work at 2:30 PM, so he got home shortly after that. We had a late lunch, said our good-byes, and then he drove me to Albany International.

Albany Int. is a tiny little airport that has delusions of grandeur. Calling itself an international airport is just one sign. Still, one of the reasons I like is it’s never too crowded.

Anyway, my flight was at 5:25, so I got there around 4, just like they say you should. I got my bags checked and my boarding pass, and then went through security. This time they didn’t ask me to take off my shoes, for whatever reason.

Got through, and waited until boarding…we took off from Albany right on time, and flew to Minneapolis, where I had a two hour stopover.

When we landed in Minneapolis, there was almost no cloud cover. And I have to say, Minneapoleans, you have a stunningly beautiful city from the sky. Little patches of water, lots of green, a gorgeous sparkling city…it really appealed to me, and I really enjoyed looking at it.

I finally got to Colorado Springs around 10 PM or so. My entire family came to pick me up. This drives me crazy - then we all have to sit crowded in the car. One person could have come by themselves! Sheesh.

That night I met the crazy F.O.B.s (Fresh off the Boats - I rarely use this term, but they sure acted like that), but we did have a fairly good chat that night all the same.

I learned the Plan. The Plan was not what I thought it had been. I had thought the Plan was to leave the next (Saturday) morning. Oh, no. The Plan was as thus:

Saturday would be spent in finishing up their packing. Saturday would also be spent in cooking about 1 million rotis (bread) to pack and take with us, along with packing up all kinds of vegetables. I was going to be a Big Helper.

Then we would leave Saturday night, around midnight. Please make a note of that. Around midnight. We would drive to Vegas - this part I knew - and it would be about a 13-hour trip. They had bought a brand new minivan, and I have to admit it looked very roomy and spacious.

More later.

Er…that should be titled “Day 1 - the Flight Out.”

You left at midnight? That’s crazy.

Whatinhell has my computer done to itself? The screen is black at all four corners, and it’s curving anything up (desktop background, Internet Explorer) to look like a convex mirror image. It did this spontaneously. I think it can wait until Mr. Lissar gets home from work.