MirrorMask - a glorious mindf*ck!

I don’t even know how to describe the trailer I just saw, I just know that one minute I’d barely heard of the movie, the next minute I’m slavishly in love with it and will put it on the shelf (figuratively) with beloved surreal/fantastical movies like Brazil, City of Lost Children, and Babe: Pig In The City (I’m not joking) . I didn’t really follow Sundance this year, but I do believe Mirrormask was raved about there.

Words just don’t work here, you have to see it for yourself. Go to the official MirrorMask site. Go to “Previews” for a trailer.

I am speechless with awe.

It is indeed surreal. It has a certain Heironymous Bosch quality to it. Might give me nightmares, though. Hopefully it’s not pretentiously incomprehensible.

btw, I love Babe: Pig In The City, it is an underrated masterpiece.

Watched the trailer a while back. It’s safe to say that Dave McKean and Neil Gaiman are geniuseses. I love his artwork. These people should be employed to make films, all of the time.

Let me jump on the MirrorMask love train. I haven’t heard of the movie before, but the trailer convinced me that this is one of my top three most awaited movies of 2005, the other two being HHGG and one yet undecided. Thank you, Equipoise. Since Neil Gaiman is credited as one of the authors, I can barely wait what his twisted mind has to offer in terms of orgasmically stimulating those eeire dark parts of my brain.

I tend to stay away from creepy mindfucky movies, but I must see this. NEIL.

Oohhh… Alice in Wonderland meets Myst meets…

Yep. Great buzz out of Park City on this. There were some complaints about the storyline being just a bit too reminiscent of Labyrinth, but even if that’s the case, it’ll be great to see the Gaiman/McKean take on the material. Can’t wait.

That’s something you don’t hear every day. Thank you. I completely agree. We didn’t make it to the movie until it had hit the dollar theaters, because it had gotten such bad reviews. We walked out with big grins on our face.

I was so angry that I hadn’t done more research, to know that…duh, people who really loved the original Babe because it was so cute and sweet were probably going to HATE Pig In The City. Sure, there are people who liked both, but I should have read in-depth reviews instead of letting the general negative tone make my decisions for me. If I had been on the ball, I could have seen it in a huge, beautifully-equipped theater instead of a lousy, stinky, crackerbox cheap theater, with a bad print, just in case we weren’t miserable enough.

And then Gene Siskel picked it as his #1 film of the year! Oh how I loved him for it.

Some people do get it. It ran as the midnight show for a few weeks at an arthouse theater. I then got to see it on a better and bigger screen.

Back to MirrorMask, I watched the trailer 3 times, and that’s it for me. I don’t want to see any more trailers, pictures or stills, or read any reviews or articles. I’ll save them all until after I’ve seen the film. I’ve already seen too much, and I want to “forget” what I’ve seen as much as possible. Opening day, show one, I’ll be there, right up front.
Cervaise, I meant to go read everything I could on Sundance this year, but I was busy at the time, so I told myself, I’ll read it all later, but time kept passing and I just haven’t done it. It’s not because I’m not interested in the movies that played there. Thanks for the confirmation. I must have read something, but I can’t remember what, indicating that it played at Sundance and people loved it.

Some people complained that it’s reminiscent of Labyrinth? Excuse me, but some people suck. And they’re stupid. How many original things are there, really? And how long has it been since there’s been anything like Labyrinth, which was not a bad film. People will complain about anything just to hear themselves complain. It’s a freaking epidemic. I can’t wait for this movie to open just so I can witness the confusion.