Mirrormask! (boxed barely-spoilers) Anyone else see it?

I saw it this weekend. What a cool place to go to. The frightening little sphynxes! The Really Very Useful Book! The Bobs (and Malcom)! Some really funny bits too, like when the creepy clock automatons start singing “Why Do Birds Suddenly Appear…”

I did, and I loved it. Certainly reminded me a lot of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, and that made it very nostalgic for me. I’m hoping it can have the same kind of effect on children today. Did anyone take their children to see it and what were their reactions?
I’m thinking of taking my niecees to see it, but they may be a little young (5&7) for the ill-mother scenes.

I loved the library, the giants, and the Bobs, but my favorite quote was, “I just put that in to keep it from being too obvious.” Wasn’t laugh out loud funny, but I kept coming back to that riddle as being hilarious.

I saw it at a matinee yesterday. I don’t recall seeing much in the way of children there.

I’m not really at all familiar with Gaiman’s works, so I was just tagging along with some other Gaiman fans. My reaction was that I wasn’t sure whether I really liked it or not, but I knew that it was definitely unlike any movie I’d ever seen. Apparently that was Neil’s take on the movie as well.

So if you’re looking for something different, it’s well worth the experience. Unfortunately, it’s only running at the obscure arthouse around here, and only for a week.

I’m not sure what I liked more, her riddle or her answer to the sphinx’s. Or, for that matter, the Sphinx’s reaction to Valentine’s. :slight_smile:

Saw it. Loved it! Hope it gets wider distribution. I’m a big Gaiman fan and have always appreciated McKean’s artistic style, so it was a real treat. So many tasty bits and pieces! I think it’d have given me bad dreams when I was a kid, but then the Dark Crystal gave me bad dreams and I still loved it. I am going to drag mum along to see it next weekend if possible.