Misogynistic terms

If your last sentence is true (and I hope it isn’t, but I respect your opinion and you may be correct), it should be possible to correct this by allowing such threads and moderating them appropriately, should it not? Which seems to me to be what happened here. Rather than just closing threads pre-emptively and sweeping the issue under the carpet.

The OP asked a simple question with no apparent ulterior motive (and I’m not aware of any past history - it would be different if the OP was, say, Quartz) and got some appropriate answers. The inappropriate, jerkish answers were shut down pretty quickly by Colibri.

In short, I’m fully in support of stamping out misogyny and other prejudice on the SDMB but I don’t think closing threads like this is the best way to do it.

I prefer The Librarian’s suggestions above. Continuing to moderate on a single-post basis invites this endless line-testing. Just shut it down.

Agree to disagree, I guess, and I don’t feel strongly enough about it to argue against the alternative proposal.

Broadly, I think this was good moderation and we are at least moving in the right direction.