Miss bright eyes has gone dim. (RIP Shirley Temple.)

RIP Shirley. :frowning:
One of the few fond memories with my ex wife was watching old Shirley Temple movies.

Oh, that’s sad. She was a remarkable person.

Very sad.

PS - I fixed the thread title.

A very talented kid.

What a life she led . . . especially becoming a “normal” adult, following such a spectacular child stardom. RIP, Shirley.

I honestly had no idea she was still with us. Very sad.

Sad news. She was a talented kid, and unlike many, grew up to live a pretty normal adulthood (ambassadorship aside).

I was on a job at the Prague embassy back in 1990, installing a new sub-floor in a conference room. I was bent over, sweating like mad, drilling holes and inserting screws, when a woman came into the room and walked over to introduce herself. It was Ambassador Black, of course. She was very personable and very short, and just chatted with us for a bit. It was a nice thing to do. I asked somebody else about her later, and they said that the only thing to avoid with her was talking about her movie past, as she considered herself long past that part of her life. Also, not to let her hear us cursing. Luckily, we had done neither in her presence.

She was a remarkable and precocious young actress and the darling of the Great Depression. Her movies are still very watchable. RIP, Madame Ambassador.

Oh, I am sorry to hear this :(. Even though I’m not a huge fan, she was such an icon, and she had such a remarkable life. RIP, indeed.

The Little Princess (1939) is an entrancing film, in Technicolor. Little Shirley, dressed all in black, every day slipping out to go search the hospitals for her missing father, all by herself!

There is a picture of her at age 16 in a fur coat, it may be on her Wikipedia page, and she is just STUNNING. Must have been around the time she married John Agar!

Wonderful child actress, wonderful life. RIP.

My mom is just about a year older than Shirley Temple and remembers being allowed to walk down to the movie theater by herself to see her movies when they came out. She says the price of admission was a quarter or a nickel, I can’t remember which.

Back in the early seventies, Temple was one of the first celebrity women to speak publicly about having breast cancer and prevention and treatment issues for it. Baby Take a Bow for advancing the cause of women’s health!

…speechless… :frowning:

Raise a toast to her memory!

A friend of mine always calls me Shirley Temple because I used to tap dance for him when I was little (plus also I have curly hair) after reading about her extraordinary life, I take it as a higher compliment that I ever have. RIP

I am way way way too young to have any say on her movies or life.

But we share a birthday and so I always felt my own little connection. It seems that of all the problems child stars have, and for all the problems celebrities themselves have, she was able to avoid it all.

:frowning:

One of the best things about Saturday morning when I was a kid was getting up and watching her movies on TV.

She reminds me of a man.

the Lollipop has crashed.

Oh my goo’ness!

I remember years ago an Academy Awards show with all the living winners of performance Oscars. (Shirley Temple had one for juvenile performance, which no longer exists.) They all sat together on stage and were introduced one by one. I don’t remember who was next to her, but after she was introduced, that actress got really excited and was talking to her like she was a big fan. It was sweet.

When I got married, I slept the night before with my hair in pincurls. After taking them out, I danced around the house singing, “On the Good Ship Lollipop”. My sister laughed, but her daughter didn’t have the faintest idea who Shirley Temple was. My sister promised to show her a Shirley Temple video when they got back home.

Taking the opposite tack, I came into this thread to suggest this is the perfect occasion to drink alcoholic versions of everything in her memory.