Mission Impossible

I saw it on Friday. In IMAX too (non 3-D).
Holy hell that entire hotel seqence is just amazing. I am deathly afraid of heights and I almost hated the middle of the movie simply for that.

A lot of you all see movies for oscar gold or something stupid but as an awesome action movie so I can see stuff get blow’d up I loved it.

If you can see it in IMAX do it! It was just spectacular.

I’m taking my wife to see it in IMAX in a couple weeks. I haven’t seen a full IMAX movie since Fantasia 2000 came out.

Man, I’ve boycotted Cruise since his inane psychiatry remarks, but I’m torn on this. Why? I like Simon Pegg, but I’m in love with Jeremy Renner. So, do I sacrifice my principles to get my fix for two hours? Is it worth it, to be a hypocrite?

Morality doesn’t really seen that important around the holidays. Maybe I can get a pass if I watch a couple of documentaries in a row.

I saw it and thought it was entertaining. I, too, enjoyed the hotel scenes. I doubt it will win any Oscars, but it was enjoyable.

Tom Cruise undid any bad I think of him with his awesome work* in Tropic Thunder.

I also have a hard time getting worked up over one religious kook when we’re surrounded by them. I guess it really bothers people if your nonsense was made up in the recent past rather than the ancient past.

*First, take a big step back, and literally FUCK YOUR OWN FACE

The wife and I saw it this weekend but not in Imax. We enjoyed it a lot. Never have gotten the Tom Cruise hate, but I’ve heard it dates to some sort of bouncing on a couch he did on American TV one time; we never saw that.

He’s member of a cult that preys on the weak, isolates them from their friends and families, and then enslaves them. No biggie.

I had no idea Tom Cruise was a Republican!

I know I’m late to the party but I’ll post my thoughts for what they’re worth. I really didn’t like the movie at all. I did see it in Imax. Many of the individual sequences were impressive enough on their own, but the movie as a whole was pretty weak. I know this is just a popcorn action flick, but there were just too many problems with the film. SPOILERS AHEAD.

1. Too many problems with the story. It felt like the writers were just making things up as they went. What I mean is we’re told that the baddies absolutely can not have the real launch codes or it’s all over. Then it’s ok, we have to give them the real codes but we absolutely can not lose track of them. Then it’s oops, we lost them but that’s ok we just have to find the satellite before they transmit the code. Ahh crap, they sent the codes, but that’s ok we’ll just hit the self destruct button before the warhead explodes.

2. Within that mess there are more problems (or at least I didn’t understand what was happening). About the switcheroo for the codes and diamonds. The part of using the special contact lens to scramble the launch codes made sense. What I don’t understand is how the baddie having the guy to authenticate the codes with him meant that the IMF plan was ruined. Other than the sequence of the numbers nothing else about the codes should have been different-they should have still looked authentic. Unless the authenticator actually knew what the exact codes were, what difference could he have made? And if he DOES know what the exact codes are then why does the baddie need to buy them in the first place?

3. One of the main requirements in the hotel scene is that they were not supposed to kill either of the baddies because they were the only link to the main villain. OK, makes sense. So the IMF girl kicks the assassin girl out the window. Again, no problem, that made sense in the context of the movie. But Cruise is chasing the other baddie in a car through the dust storm and his method of stopping him is to send a BMW head on into the baddies’ SUV at 60 or 80 mph. Is that really something you’d do and still expect the occupant of the other car to still be alive?

I had other problems with the film too (I didn’t understand the bit with Cruise’s wife; or how the main baddie, a former PM, could hold his own in a fight against Cruise; and it seemed there could have been a simpler solution to getting into the server room than the levitating chain mail), but there were just too many WTF moments that kept taking me out of the film to allow me to enjoy it. All that said there were good sequences throughout. The hotel scenes were good. I liked the camera and moving screen trick Cruise and Pegg used to sneak into the Kremlin. I liked Pegg’s character in general and I don’t remember seeing Paula Patton in other movies but I’ll be sure to remember here from here on out. I though she was gorgeous and didn’t feel she took away from the movie like someone up thread mentioned.

My verdict is catch it on TV sometime down the road but I wouldn’t worry about catching it in the theater.

The plot was weak, the acting was average, the cinematography was pretty damn good and there was a sufficient amount of explodiness to make it worth the ticket to see it on the big screen.

Circumstances related to travelling were such that it somehow made sense to my family to go see it together on Christmas day, and as a time-filler it was a fun movie to see. I don’t think I would have made an effort to see it otherwise (at least until it came onto The Movie Network for ‘free’) but I am glad I saw it on the big screen, if only for the Burj scenes.

Fun, if you’re into action, exploding things and don’t care too much about the details.

I liked it quite a bit, right up to the ending. Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner especially played their parts very well and brought some humor to the movie. Actually, I found myself laughing a bit at Cruise’s reactions, particularly when the one sticky glove failed. But the ending…Jesus God, ENOUGH! I have had enough of pushing things to the VERY. LAST. SECOND. If that stupid case fell just one more fucking time, I…oh my GOD! It DID fall again!
My eyes about rolled out of my head when Cruise did the car thing at the end. Just too much, too over the top.

The ending at the bar/docks in Seattle (?) had my brother and I in stitches as we mocked the movie for being reduced to asking whether or not the team members believed in the power of friendship.
Yeah, we had a ton of fun watching this. We may have pissed off other movie goers in Kingston.

Link says budget is estimated at 140 million.

Opening weekend was 12.7 million.

Is this bad, good, or “too soon to tell” news for the financial prospects for this film?

Bad. Typical opening weekend takes for blockbusters are in the 25m+ range.

Edit: But rotten tomatoes says $29.5m, which is a more typical opening weekend. So what’re they measuring here?

It opened on Wednesday before Christmas, IIRC, so maybe Rotten Tomatoes is measuring from there through Christmas?

It didn’t open very wide, it rolled out with mostly IMAX screens. Will expand in the coming weeks, and should likely make it’s money back (and then some) without too much trouble.

Needs to be said; hasn’t been said in this thread yet:

Any movie franchise that begins with a character called Jim Phelps turning out to be a bad guy needs to have a different name than Mission: Impossible.

It’s like [spoiler]Catwoman[/spoile] turning out to be [spoiler]Aunt Harriet[/spoilr] in disguise.

…I wouldn’t usually do a full quote BUUUTTTT these were my sentiments exactly.

I thought it was decent. However, the part where Cruise quickly draws a composite sketch artist quality picture of the bad guy on his hand in 15 seconds was hilariously bad.

Like Bob Ducca suggested, it apparently racked up an anemic $12 million stateside during the limited-release “opening weekend” of December 16-18 – before pulling in a respectable $29.5 million during the officially announced “opening weekend” of December 23-25.

So it’s currently at $86+ million domestic and $169+ million foreign, grossing $255+ million thus far on its $145 million budget.