MLB: April 2021

Wow, MLB just pulled the All Star Game from GA over the voting law.

That’s impressive. I’m glad to hear it.

They are relatively rare in American football though. One of the big hurdles I have to deal with in getting people to watch soccer is that ties happen and with relative frequency. Some people just go ballistic over it for some reason.

This trend is horrible. Calling a game for radio is an entirely different thing than calling one on TV (I have some experience with high-school and college sports broadcasting, I know what I’m talking about). Teams trying to save a buck by running the TV audio on the radio are completely ruining the radio game experience.

And don’t get me started on MLB’s absolutely asinine and counterproductive blackout rules … I live in Iowa, which makes me the lucky winner of having SIX TEAMS blacked out for the entire state (Cardinals, Cubs, Twins, Royals, Brewers, and White Sox).

Big gray cat on the field in the bottom of the 8th in Denver. Sure there’ll be video later, saw it live. For those who like that sort of thing.

And, this is why I keep watching baseball despite the myriad problems well documented in this thread (that Cubs game was awful!):

The White Sox have a not-all-that-highly regarded 28-year-old rookie named Yermin Mercedes. His career experience before this season consisted of one unsuccessful at-bat as a pinch-hitter. He has a not-very-chiseled physique and by all accounts, is not that great of a catcher.

But he can hit a fair bit, and with the Sox down a man after the Eloy Jimenez injury, he made the roster and got the start tonight as the DH. He went 5-for-5 and drove in four runs. He is the first player to get five hits in his first major league start since Cecil Travis in 1933, and Travis needed seven at-bats to do it.

Because that is football, hockey, and soccer. Basketball doesn’t do ties and neither does baseball because it is relatively simple to score a run in an extra inning so as to obviate the need for ties. Further, fans have complained about the hockey, football, and soccer about their tie-breaking methods as being rather arbitrary–and they largely don’t do ties. When baseball and basketball have broken them, as they have historically, they are done in the natural method of the game.

But the Pirates are undefeated!!

Now if only this gathers some momentum. As outdoor concerts are announced, I hope some artists pull their shows from Georgia.

Was just thinking, if they do 7 inning DHs, they surely won’t do day/night, right? It would have to be single ticket.

Tonight’s game on ESPN has Ohtani scheduled to pitch and bat second, which should be fun.

I know it’s because of Easter, but it’s nice to see ESPN showing two teams that definitely don’t make national broadcasts too often.

As of now, Braves at Nats is on for Monday. I’m sure the Nats would love a chance at the 0-3 Braves

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but…

Ohtani homered his first time up, making him the first pitcher since Babe Ruth to bat higher than eighth and hit a homer.

He’s now out of the game after 4.2 innings; the Angels don’t get to use a DH.

As to the Blue Jays, they scored only three runs in each of three games but still won twice.

The revelation so far as been Julian Merryweather. Merryweather was the PTBNL they got for Josh Donaldson (for 19 games of Josh Donaldson, actually.) Merryweather had missed that entire season due to Tommy John surgey so he didn’t seem like a big prize.

Anyway he pitched a little bit last year and looked decent enough. He saved both wins in New York and looked absolutely terrifying. He was throwing 100MPH heaters and mixing in genuinely sick breaking balls. Yikes. They have always thought of him as a starter but if this is how he closes games I say don’t mess with success.

That is such a ESPN stat since batting higher than 8th cuts all of the other pitchers. Including pitchers who have hit .356 in a season (1993).

Well that’s the point; it illustrates how weird he is.

I have an idea. Anger everyone and move the All Star Game to Toronto.

My guess is they give the game to LA since last year’s was supposed to be theirs.

On the other hand since they are taking it from Georgia for shitty voter laws they should give it to the twins for having the highest voter turnout in the country.

I was originally going to say Colorado, which is what I would prefer, but when I went to look up the stats Colorado was second with 86.5% turnout.