MLB: April 2021

It’s LA next year; word is for that reason, LA is not a 2021 option.

It seems to me a great place would be Milwaukee. They want to honor Hank Aaron, right? He played most of his career there.

They’re already promoting LA 2022. My guess is Baltimore, there’s been a ton of NL parks used lately and been forever for Camden. Keeps it east coast too.

Interestingly, the longest wait for any city right now is Oakland. However, their stadium is a dump.

Tampa Bay hasn’t had one either, gotta be the stadium as well

El Dumpo Maximus.

Stade Olympique was BY FAR the worst MLB stadium I’ve ever been in; it was indescribably awful. Among existing ones, though, Tropicana Field is the worst; it’s much worse than Oakland, IMHO, and is about as easy to get to on a weeknight as Pluto. I actually don’t like Rogers Centre/SkyDome and the Jays are already grousing about needing a new park, but it’s heaven compared to Tropicana. Every other stadium in the majors than I’ve been to is miles better, or in the case of ones I haven’t been to, is new and by all accounts pretty nice.

It’s a close call for me, but I think Oakland edges Tampa for worst stadium. Both stadiums are dismal, dingy and depressing. But Oakland manages poor sight lines in “good” seats AND you have to cross over a swampy moat just to get in the stadium.

As for the ASG, I agree with the suggestion that Baltimore is a strong candidate. And that LA doesn’t make sense because of the disruption to their planning for next year (which would also mean they’d need to find a replacement for next year).

My guess is the new Texas Rangers stadium, which hosted the World Series last year. Now that they have 100% capacity, and the Texas governor expressed outrage at the Atlanta decision, MLB will want to save face with conservatives, and hedge like their lives depend on it. Everyone will hate the decision.

What is the largest ready for baseball stadium in the US in a city without a team nearby? That would be a good place for an Alt venue this year.

Or cites that often get mentioned for moves or expansion like Portland or one of the ones in Northern Virgina.

Coors Field currently meets that criteria, I think.

But more accurately, the 2 largest are Lamade Stadium in Williamsport (Little League World Series) and Omaha (College World Series). Outside of those, since they have signature events, are San Juan, Puerto Rico, Buffalo, NY, Salt Lake City, Utah, and Indianapolis.

That would be pretty cool, any of those would be a good replacement venue.

I know a very long time ago both Buffalo & Indy had Major league teams. San Juan would be pretty cool. Is Salt Lake City a baseball town?

Salt Lake has a AAA PCL team.

It is home to the Bees (formerly in the Pacific Coast League, now in the “Triple-A West”), whch are affiliated with the Angels. I have no idea how well they draw, though their stadium is apparently the biggest in their league, at around 15,000 seats.

Until the Blue Jays depart Florida for Buffalo, Sahlen Field in Buffalo has the largest seating capacity of a baseball stadium without an MLB team. It’s also the most up to MLB standards in most respects, since the Blue Jays fixed it up to play there.

But even then it’s only about 16,000 seats.

Well, it looks I may get my wish now I just to get vaccinated in time.

Well, I’m happy to report everything is back to normal as the Mets have now established a firm season win rate of 0.000. I think it’s gonna be a fun season. This Lindor fellow seems like a right dashing smasher. I’m bummed to see Amed Rosario depart for Cleveland tho.

Seeing chat on Twitter that they’ve picked Coors Field for the ASG. I’m surprised if it’s true, I definitely thought they would have gone AL since NL parks have dominated.

Nobody murders a baseball quite like Giancarlo Stanton (I really hope his healthy for the full season.) Ohtani’s bomb was pretty impressive, too. He looked brawnier than I remember.

Has MLB given up on protecting pitchers? It was a big deal a few years ago and then it just faded away. It’s a ticking time bomb, and no, I don’t know the solution. Someone will get creamed again before too long, though.

I give Oakland a huge edge for being open air. Tampa Bay is the only fixed dome in the majors.

I have to agree with this. Tampa is terrible ball field, Oakland (stadium) is just a garbage dump but it still feels like baseball.

Fair point. I will always remain bitter, though, about buying a front-row seat behind home plate on the second deck in Oakland—which, in any other stadium, would be premium seating—only to discover that not only does the Coliseum have a public walkway there, so that fans are constantly wandering in front of you and blocking your view, but even when they aren’t, there is poorly-placed railing in the way that makes it impossible to see both the batter and the pitcher at the same time.

I like the team and their fans well enough. But they need to get out of that hell hole.