MLB: August 2021

Josiah Gray will make his Nationals debut on Monday. That should help take some of the sting out of the trade deadline dump.

Blue Jays leading the Royals 5-0 behind new addition Jose Berrios.

I harp on this a lot, but holy shit there’s too many strikeouts.

So the Royals brought in a guy named Scott Barlow to pitch; he’s a 28-year-old middle reliever I imagine most baseball fans outside KC haven’t even heard of or, if they have, know little about. Barlow is a good pitcher and all but he’s not Mariano Rivera.

So far this year Barlow’s K per 9 ration is 11.7. Actually now it’s about 12, because he struck out two guys in the one inning he pitched. For his career, it’s now about 11.6.

11.6 K/9, is, by way of comparison, higher than Nolan Ryan. A LOT higher; over 2 K’s higher. Nolan Ryan never even got to 11.6 in a season. Bob Gibson? Never hit 9. The highest retired starter I can find is Randy Johnson at a dizzying 10.6 K/9 but that’s still a K short of Scott Barlow.

Unfarir to compare his to starters? Okay; Goose Gossage, who scared the shit out of people, never came close to 11.6. Neither did Mariano Rivera, the greatest relief pitcher of all time. Trevor Hoffman did it once in 18 years, but for his career is at 9.4, with Nolan Ryan. Tom Henke did it three times, but for his career is, again, “down” around Nolan Ryan.

I mean, the Blue Jays have a goddamn disaster of a bullpen, but they right now have three releif pitchers who strike out more guys per inning than Nolan Ryan, only one of whom is actually decent; Anthony Kay and Trent Thornton are shit pitchers, and yet they strike out more guys than goddamn Nolan Ryan.

We’re reaching the point that immense strikeout rates have very little to do with a pitcher’s actual effectiveness. Forty years ago if a guy had the K/9 and BB/9 ratios of Trent Thornton… well, those guys were like Steve Carlton. I mean, this is absurd.

It’s down a little since they started enforcing the rule about not putting shit on the ball but it’s still bad.

Looking bad for Tatis, JR. And one of the other young guns, Acuña, is already out for the year.

With a Kris Bryant HR today, each of Rizzo, Baez, and Bryant homered in his first game for his new team post trade deadline.

I was a little surprised the Yanks went for it, I was expecting a small sell off instead. But they picked up solid lefty bats for very little in terms of prospects.

RHP Alexander Vizcaino and CF Kevin Alcantara to Chicago Cubs for 1B Anthony Rizzo and cash.

Traded RHP Glenn Otto, 2B Josh H. Smith, SS Ezequiel Duran and 2B Trevor Hauver to Texas Rangers for LHP Joely Rodriguez, LF Joey Gallo and cash.

Gallo has one more year of arbitration.

This is a candidate for the greatest first pitch of all time.

Max Scherzer is paying the adoption fees for the next 7 days to adopt an pet in Washington DC

So far the Yankees have gotten the bad Joey Gallo. 2 for 23 and he’s already made an error.

The Reds SP Tyler Mahe leads the league with blown saves with 8.

Second place is Luis Castillo with 6.

Damn.

You can’t have a blown save if you don’t come into a save situation, which neither of them have done. So how is that calculated?

According to Stats.com, there are six pitchers in the NL with 6 blown saves. None of them is named Mahle (or Mahe) or Castillo.

Mahle and Castillo are both starters, as @Munch pointed out.

Doesn’t it mean that they left with a lead only to have the bullpen blow it?

No a blown save always goes to a reliever. What they probably have is the most games that they’ve started and were leading in blown by their relievers.

With Anthony Rendon out for the year and a major disappointment, does it seem like the Angels just have horrible judgement with their free agent contracts? Pujols, Rendon, CJ Wilson, Josh Hamilton among many others

He’s an unusual baseball player. He lopes all over the place with surprising speed for a big dude. Hopefully he’ll heat up again soon.

The AL East could get very interesting in September. Might even be a four team race.

You are correct, and that’s what @FoieGrasIsEvil was talking about. I don’t know what that stat is called, or where it’s listed?

Also known as “karma.”

I do not believe that is a formal stat. It’s something you could find out for any pitcher but it takes some facility with Baseball Reference.

Agree that it’s not a formal stat, but @FoieGrasIsEvil had the number for two pitchers. Where did you find it?

I just found an mlb.com “fact of the day” for the Reds that gives half of the answer. Mahle’s fact is from August 3: