MLB: July 2021

They weren’t as bad of the NFL Thursday night uniforms. But baseball gives more thought to “tradition” than the NFL I think.

Overall, I think Fox’s coverage of baseball sucks. Joe Buck is terrible, and they openly root for Los Angeles and New York teams.

good news !:

I agree. I’ve made that call, in my sideline as a youth umpire. The given interpretation is that any twitch in the direction of 2B constitutes an attempt, and puts the runner at risk.

(Contrary to popular myth, the runner does not need to turn to the right when returning to 1B. He can turn to the left as long as it’s clearly a U-turn.)

That Stand Up to Cancer bit in the middle of the game was all well and good, but does Fox really need to have ads before AND afterwards? Would it kill them to show a little baseball in between all the commercials?

And that was an ad in itself

Good that Manfred is suggesting that 7-inning doubleheaders and automatic men on second in extra innings are headed for the trash heap. Not so good that he wants to ban the shift.

Speaking of jerseys, heavily discounted Trevor Bauer gear is still available as of 7/14.

https://www.shopteamdodgers.com/Dodgers_Trevor_Bauer_Jersey-185?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=16ab44e5dc7771ee0fc5b64a7c6c606d178a4b7b-1626315550-0-Ac-X_r8CDbripl5lA_9K8rcAWe18Dpxx3Hk2Ws94HyLVy6me-LOo52wBjYi0B5yXoNJWBEagUbWfDZJ0vMTnbYXx5eC-ZhhAHo0FWIimShxzzXkSwDUk2ZCtZNDuHkNmKIUEH0aobjAKTfrqCBa56pvvQkOqFY50bAd8odpmrfC7sm1QEb2tU3bfjOYBMNjBinLlb6H4w2GGpv6vc_wVRsnDSg4_-3EG_yFQW8ReTzWWyXZ_j5YlFkDjkk9DZFqCMtf-NRyZi0wa73RuEmrvh4FUl7lGFaPwEl3E86AcTvays-FwsmJha2cR_wsDfbe8mb054Gzi4ruATNW9-sNamqhFjDZVHRLsZOp_JNx7PncqFCRNujHaBR08yoQHXvvkJGQ9DnEiqda99WFkcw4NwEdHz9EzpnDliZ8WSd0qdbZBcz8nKa_OQypvSVIQi8YfAg

That definitely isn’t the Dodgers official site. Fanatics handles just about every official site these days

Not so good that he wants to ban the shift.

I’m curious what the impact would be. The immediate impact I suppose is a slightly higher overall BABIP. But the real issue with MLB hitting these days is emphasis on the 3 true outcomes (K, BB, HR). Strikeouts are boring and they happen way, way too much. Part of it is the hitters’ approach and another part of it is pitchers are a heck of a lot better now than they were 20+ years ago. A good friend of mine, a D1 college baseball coach, says what they really need to do is move the pitching rubber back 6 inches. I feel like that would be a lot harsher for the purists out there.

Yankees/Red Sox has the night to themselves tonight and got postponed due to Covid!!

Way too many antivaxxers in pro sports, although sports has a higher vaccination rate than health care workers!

I haven’t seen overall vaccination rates for pro athletes, but depressingly enough, you may be right.

As of 6/28, 23 of 30 MLB teams had met the 85% vaccination threshold (the WNBA is best among pro sports, with about 99% vaccinated against Covid-19). Nationwide, something like 96% of physicians have been vaccinated, but the figure drops to 75% or less of all health care workers with direct patient contact (as of the end of May). Unsurprisingly, vaccination rates correlate with education levels.

I took the boys to the Indianapolis Indians v. Omaha Storm Chasers game tonight. I’m excited that the team I root for (Kansas City) has an affiliate that plays here now (thanks to the minor league realignment). Daniel Lynch is the Royals top pitching prospect, but I don’t see it. He was sitting 90-93, touching 95 in the 3rd. Lots of hard contact off of him, even though they were making outs.

They’re checking pitcher hats and gloves in AAA as well. Very cursory check, but they’re looking.

Speaking of minor league ball, they’re free to stream this weekend.

You must live in Indianapolis! I went to a few games at the Indians’ old ball park, Bush Stadium, growing up. (“RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAZOR SHINES!”) And I went to a couple games at Victory Field, which was a beautiful ballpark. Does it still hold up by today’s standards? I haven’t lived in Indiana for almost 20 years.

It’s celebrating its 25th anniversary, and it really does still hold up. Wonderful view of downtown, easy to access, clean, and a great staff. I love going to games there.

They converted Bush into condos several years ago. I think it’s well-occupied, but the neighborhood is still very underdeveloped (other than being walking distance to Long’s Donuts, which should sufficient sustenance for anyone). And it’s funny you mention Razor Shines - seems every baseball fan I know who grew up here (I did not) loved Razor and his call-up.

Remember the weird situation when Starlin Castro went on the restricted list for a ‘family situation’ and then came back quietly? Well, now he’s on administrative leave. Nationals' Starlin Castro not expected back with team following domestic violence allegations - CBSSports.com

I knew something like this was out there as soon as that restricted list happened

So now the umpires are hawking crypto on their uniforms. Anything for a dollar…or a Bitcoin.

This sucks

Based on variably evasive statements from the Yankees, at least some of their Covid-19 positive tests are “breakthrough” infections in personnel that were vaccinated (the less effective J&J vaccine in cases back in May). Left unsaid is which players were unvaccinated and for what reason(s) - and it’s looking like Aaron Judge may be among that number, and possibly even be an index case that infected others, based on alarums about who he was in contact with during All-Star events.

That seems unlikely - Loaisiga was put on the Covid list several days before the ASG, so I suspect the infections began earlier.

Anyone know the rule about Sunday night games? I thought ESPN had an exclusive right to Sunday nights. So, that should make a split DH impossible on Sunday, right?

The Texas Rangers got a few exemptions due to the heat in mid summer and were allowed some Sunday night games at the old Ballpark in Arlington.