MLB Postseason prediction and playoff talk thread!

Yes, it was. The seventh game of that World Series was one of the most exciting games ever played, but all I remember about it was that I got laid off from work the next morning, as an indirect consequence of the 9/11 attacks.

Yo, Cubbie fans . . . what’s with the hostile crowd? I’m sure it was a frustrating game, but raining boos down on a 96-win team the minute they fall behind in the first playoff game seems a little . . . harsh. And probably counter-productive.

Thanks. :slight_smile: Sadly, I’m on the wrong side of the country for a post-victory party, but my god, if they win I will be there in spirit. My parents still live there, and I’ve told my dad that if the Phillies do win the Series, he will go into the city that night (though he can wait until the afternoon after, because he’s kinda old) and take pictures and stuff for me. Really, the Phillies have a small fanbase, but we’re loyal, and it truly would be the highlight of this calender year for a lot of us if they manage to pull it off.

Go Phillies!

Man, it was just not meant to be for me tonight. I mean, I’m really, REALLY happy the Dodgers won, but I didn’t get to enjoy it in a meaningful way at all.

I knew that I was going to be on the road (I commute by train) for a portion of the game, so I actually went to Rite Aid this afternoon and bought a cheap-ass AM/FM radio so I could listen while in transit. Of course, I stupidly passed on the one that cost $3 more that actually had an extendable antenna because I’m cheap and figured it wouldn’t matter.

So, go figure, I can barely get a signal on the train, and people are looking at me funny because I spend the first 20 minutes moving the radio every which way I could to try to improve the sound. And what should happen during Loney’s at-bat? I lose the signal altogether. I give up on the radio completely and start following using my Blackberry, but that sucks because it’s only on a 30-second refresh.

So then I get to listen in my car during the drive from the train station to the bowling alley. I enjoy a few minutes of Vin & Co. on the radio, but I give up on that quickly because the bowling alley has TVs with DirecTV installed. I’ve watched many a Dodger game at the alley.

Well, guess what? The bowling alley doesn’t subscribe to TBS! So I end up scrambling back to my car to get the POS portable radio, listen for another half-inning and then manage to lose the signal again. So I followed the rest of the game on my Blackberry. Bah.

At least I can probably get home tomorrow in time to catch the last three innings or so on TV. Sheesh.

Well, Asimovian, I had a fate worse than that. I had to go to the store. I’ve got XM in my car, but they only had the Cubs broadcast on. So, I had to listen to that to and from Frys (Ralphs).

Ugh, got home, opened a beer and watched the Dodgers open their can of whoop ass on the Cubs.

Great outing by Lester, and we’re getting some insurance runs here in the 9th. I just want the game to be over now.

I hear you on the crying after Joe Carter ripped our hearts out. I was 8 at the time, and I had become a baseball fan when I was six (which, looking back, was really strange that I fell in love with that horrible team). Anyway, that was truly a dream-come-true of a season, to experience such a magical team shortly after becoming a fan. And then Carter hit that homer. I remember thinking that if they had had Milt Thompson out there instead of Inky, he could have run back to the wall and made an incredible catch. Of course that’s ridiculous since the ball was hit on a line, but still…

Anyway, about the Phillies fan base, I don’t know if you’ve been here lately, but things have really picked up since Citizen’s Bank Park came into existence. We set records this year for attendance, and even 610 WIP–the sports radio station that has traditionally been all Eagles, all the time–is in love with this team.

Of course if you follow the Phillies through ESPN you’d think that this is a worthless city with a team playing only to be offered up as fodder for the Cubs. That’s ESPN for you. But, truly, if you are here you’ll find that everyone here is just as passionate as any other city still playing.

You walk seven fucking batters, you get booed, end of story. Add in the Sword of Damocles feeling that each increases and well, you can see the hostility. This is really going to suck.

I just realized (yeah, a little slow on the uptake) that we have both Chicago teams, both LA teams (if you assume Anaheim = LA), and both Sox. A team that hasn’t won in 100 years, and a team that didn’t exist 10 years ago. Lots of cool storylines…which means we’ll wind up with Brewers - Angels.

And neither New York team! [nelsonmunz]Ha ha![/nm]

Well. If they were a 96 win team, you’d be right.

But, since they are a 97 win team, they deserve the boos. :smiley:
I never boo teams, my own, or others. But I did a lot of swearing last night. :frowning:

Phils up 2!!!

Aw yeah, who’s gonna beat the Brewers in 3? The Phillies, that’s who.

Let me repeat my previous from last night:

Fuck you, Chicago!

We’ll take a 5 run inning any day. :smiley:

I’ll certainly take a 5-0 start in the second inning. I don’t care how we get them. I want to bury the Cubs early.

ETA: Dammit, silenus. Seconds late!

I’ve gotta be honest, I thought last night’s game would wake up the Cubs.

I guess we’ll see…

Regarding the Brewers/Phillies. Is there any way they both lose the series?

This is unreal. I can’t believe Lee and Ramirez got errors, not to mention Derosa. Poor Z is pitching well. He’s keeping his cool well but you can tell he’s pissed. This game is a heartbreaker so far.

Rays fan checking in:

** L O N G O R I A **
that is all.

I’m going to bed. I can’t watch this anymore.

Evan Longoria, holy moly. Do they look smart for giving him the contract, or what?

And Manny. Another homer. That one he hit yesterday was unbelievable; how do you reach down and hit a ball that low, that far? Christ Jesus, since joining the Dodgers he’s been hitting like Ted Williams crossed with Optimus Prime.

I’m thinking Manny is just adding the dollars onto his contract. It will be very tough for the Dodgers to decide if they want Manny or to go after Sabathia.

Last baseball thought for the night: I so have a crush on Victorino right now, because getting a grand slam, off CC Sabathia, in the playoffs, is hot.