MLB Season 2024 March & April

MILB rather than MLB, but for those of you who like crooked numbers, you might check out the Norfolk Tides’ box score from last night, April 3.

https://www.instagram.com/milb/p/C5U2fw1uiAf/

Spoiler: They hit eight homers, scored in every inning but one, ended up with 26 runs, and had 29 hits, not to mention a bunch of walks. This is the Orioles’ AAA team with Jackson Holliday and some other well-regarded prospects. Even so!

The Philadelphia Phillies really are trying to have the absolute worst City Connect jerseys

Oh come on, those are great. The colors match the city flag, and that hat icon is perfection that I can’t believe they haven’t thought of before. And every third Philly fan that spends his summers on the shore has a tattoo in that font!

But they won’t call themselves Sacramento. Apparently they will not call themselves by any city at all.

That’s a bummer. I was hoping they could squeeze another official city into their franchise history, which I believe is the most cities of any team in the big 4 professional sports (anyone with soccer or other more international sport knowledge is welcome to chime in as well). Philly, KC, Oakland, (Sacramento), Vegas.

The Sacramento Kings are neck and neck:

1. Franchise was founded in 1923 in Rochester, NY as the Rochester Seagrams. They played in Rochester until 1957, joining the NBA at its founding in 1946 as the Rochester Royals.

2. The Royals moved to Cincinnati, OH in 1957, playing there until 1972.

3. Then moved to Kansas City, MO in 1972, changing their name to the Kings (to avoid confusion with the baseball Royals). From 1972-75, the Kings split home games between KC and Omaha, NE, then played solely in KC until…

4. They moved to Sacramento in 1985. That’s a total of five different home cities that the franchise has had in its life. They nearly had a sixth when the Maloofs tried to move the team to Anaheim in the early 2010s, before just selling it outright.

I believe that font is called “Vincent Price bold.”

Spencer Strider to get an MRI.

8 games into the season and the Marlins have a perfect record.

0 - 8.

Even the Sacramento (For the Time Being) Athletics have a win on the books this year. Could be a battle for the worst record in MLB (Modern Era) history in the making, folks!

The A’s already hold down 2 (1916 & 1919, both in Philly) of the Bottom 10 slots. Can they add a third?

And 0-9 now. This was a playoff team last year and this isn’t 1998 after the World Series fire sale

I wonder if the Tigers are actually good or if they’ve just had some great play early in the season and will drop off quickly.

Quick box score reading question: what does it mean when there is a (B, #) next to a pitcher’s name?

I THINK that’s a blown save. Was it a reliever who came in in the late innings and couldn’t hold the lead?

The Royals have won 3 in a row to move to 5-4 on the year. They are now over .500 for the first time since April 10, 2022, or 727 days

I didn’t watch the game, but I assume so. It was definitely a reliever and there were other names under him. Game went 11 innings. That’s probably it. Thank you!

Perpetually injured potential superstar Stephen Strasburg has officially retired from baseball.

That happened in today’s game between the Royals and White Sox. Sox were leading 3-2 entering the bottom of the 7th. A new reliever came in for the Sox to start the inning. He allowed three runs and KC eventually won the game 5-3. So the reliever not only got his first blown save of the season, he also got the loss. (He pitched 1/3 of an inning, and allowed 3 runs, 2 hits, and a walk. Not a good outing.)

People claim the pitch clock is causing pitcher injuries. Well, Strasburg never pitched with the pitch clock. This stuff has always happened.

I’m becoming convinced babying pitchers in terms of innings pitched is ineffective. I think (and I’ve been reading some very convincing arguments here) that it’s 75% mechanics and 25% genetics and luck.

It’s a bit hard to believe that the pitch clock is at fault when the total number of pitches thrown remains the same.

It seems much more likely due to mechanical factors, first and foremost being the mania for “velocity”. Humans have grown bigger and stronger over time, but ligaments apparently haven’t kept pace.

You can also go back to primordial days in baseball and find a considerable number of injuries that (obviously) never led to Tommy John surgery - pitchers either adapted to non-hard throwing styles or quit pitching.*

*occasionally switching successfully to being position players, like Smoky Joe Wood.

The Orioles are calling up Jackson Holliday.