MLB: The Tampa Bay Heckler

I thought the Rays not only tolerate the guy’s act, but sorta sponsor it by making sure he gets a field-side seat (or maybe that’s not too hard to get anyway), essentially to make it look like there are people who *do * care about the team. I just wish he’d make up his mind whether he’s going after Damon or Bellhorn when the Sox are there.

I suppose I better give honorable mention to Ronnie Woo-Woo from Wrigley Field. http://www.ronniewoowoo.com/

Honestly, he’s not that loud, he’s just near the mics and not drowned out by anybody else making noise. Umps tend to be pretty tolerant about heckling unless it’s vulgar, constant and directed at them. They’ll even let the catcher annoy the batter unless it gets to be a real problem - Pierzynski is pretty famous for this.

I gotta be honest, those are some of the weakest taunts I’ve ever seen. If any of those guys played an American sport, they’d probably be reduced to tears. Even if it was just NCAA level. :slight_smile:

They do more than that - they inducted him into their fan hall of fame, I believe.

In high school, I once spent a whole game “Strawberry is a fruit.” He ignored us but Kevin McReynolds laughed.
Okay, I’ll leave.

A few years ago, Harper’s magazine printed the “lyrics” to some South American soccer fan chants. Really ugly stuff, too… about how the other team likes to take it up the ass, etc. IIRC, Brazilian fans were specifically mentioned for doing this.

I was attending Virginia Tech in the early 1990s and the Hokies (yes, our mascot was a giant turkey :smack: ) were playing the East Carolina University (ECU) Pirates. Their fans brought these foam swords that looked like a giant penis. Someone in the student body start chanting “F**K THE BUTT PIRATES!” and soon enough the entire stadium was chanting this over and over again. College football fans will stop at nothing to get on the other team’s nerves. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was attending Virginia Tech in the early 1990s and the Hokies (yes, our mascot was a giant turkey :smack: ) were playing the East Carolina University (ECU) Pirates. Their fans brought these foam swords that looked like a giant penis. Someone in the student body started chanting “F**K THE BUTT PIRATES!” and soon enough the entire stadium was chanting this over and over again. College football fans will stop at nothing to get on the other team’s nerves. :stuck_out_tongue:

Brazilian soccer fans are also noted for filling plastic bags with urine and then throwing them at the opposing teams players and fans. :eek:

The city my wife comes from (Belem) has two good soccer teams (Paysandu and Remo). Their main offices are even on the same street in Belem! Those born in Belem are either Remo or Paysandu fans, and which team you will root for is decided by your father at birth. The animosity between the two teams is really large. Remo were champions of the State of Pará 42 times, while Paysandu only made it to 40 so far, so Remo thinks they’re better. However, Paysandu were champions of the Brazilian second division twice while Remo never were, so Paysandu thinks they’re better.

Every year Remo and Paysandu play each other twice (in the same stadium, the Mangueirão ) and the whole city goes crazy. At the end of the season, the team that wins the championship of Pará (almost always either Remo or Paysandu) takes the other team’s mascot on a long procession through the city, where the mascot is spat upon, kicked, etc. At the end of the procession it is buried in the cemetery (with a real priest presiding)!

Back in the day, the Yankee Stadium Bleachers were a blast. When Canseco came to town, someone brought out a big poster of Madonna’s face and a souvenier baseball bat. Guess you can figure what they did with those two items… :o

On the point of microphones, I could swear that for some broadcasts, the crowd was louder than the announcers. Some individual fans would come up loud and clear completely disrupting the play by play with their nonsense. Fix your damn microphones!