Mods, can't you tell Snowboarder Bo to shut up?

What do you have against whole wheat??!

We have observed this behavior. Didn’t think much of it, thought it would soon pass and be forgotten.

Since it shows no evidence of doing so – especially since it appears to be ramping up and obviously annoys people and that is inciting more of it – that tips the balance from just being mildly annoying temporary nuisance to trolling/potential threadshitting.

We will take action as necessary. Use wisely your power of choice. :slight_smile:

“Do not feed the trolls” is sometimes a useful meditation.

Ask yourself this question; Would we allow all posters to do this? Can every poster insert “This is my stupid catch-phrase” into every post they submit? We’re not talking about signatures - he’s putting it in every post.
If you let Snowboarder Bo get away with it you’re setting a precedent.

May I now put “OASIS IS THE BEST BAND EVER!!!” in every single post I make?

Can every single poster on this board do the same? If it’s OK for Snowboarder Bo, it has to be OK for everyone.

You would seriously take action against someone who uses a catchphrase that a few people think is annoying?

This is like kindergarten - “Mods, can’t you tell Snowboarder Bo to shut up?” Change the “Mods” to “Mommy” and see how ridiculous this is. What a bunch of crybabies. Trying to force someone to stop using an innocuous, non-insulting catchphrase because other people don’t like reading it is way beneath the level of adult behavior.

There is a huge number of humor-challenged people who participate on this board. Since when do they get to dictate who gets to make jokes that they don’t personally find funny? Many people in this thread think the quarry catchphrase would be acceptable as a signature line. In that case, it should also be acceptable as a line in the body of a post, as well. I doubt there’s more than a couple posters who are annoyed enough to want to see it banned outright. Probably the same people who get whooshed every time a simple joke is made in a thread that they don’t understand is a joke.

I have been enjoying the quarry catchphrase. If someone is annoyed enough by it to want to ban it, I think they should either put Bo on ignore or find something better to cry about.

There is a rule against post count padding and I think this comes pretty close to that. And other posters have been warned for being one trick ponies and always trying to divert threads to their pet interests - and again I think this is close enough to qualify. And it’s reached the point where it’s pretty much thread shitting. So there’s precedents if the mods want to take action - which in my opinion they should.

This wasn’t a very funny joke to start with. But I’m sure we could have all handled a weak joke. What’s annoying is he won’t let it go even when he’s been told it’s annoying.

Somebody asking you to pull their finger isn’t funny but it’s tolerable. Somebody asking you to pull their finger twenty times is no longer tolerable.

Complete nonsense.
No one has the right to shit all over the board.
If we allow any amout of crap without any filtering at all there’s no point in having a board at all.

I don’t think the mods should do anything about it. It should be left to peer pressure.

Okay, now that mod is threatening me with action, I have to weigh in here.

There is no evidence of “ramping up”. And there is no evidence that I just use the phrase randomly.

I don’t use it to troll.

I only, and I will repeat, ONLY use the phrase when otherwise I would have typed “LOL”.

As I mentioned in the Pit thread, I’ve used this about 2 dozen times, and ALWAYS in the context of “LOL”.

It’s not in every post I make.

Regards,
Bo

ETA: Accusations of “shitting all over the board” and the like are just laughable. 24 uses, over all the hundreds of threads and tens of thousands of posts that happen here daily, but 24 posts where the phrase is used in context is somehow “shitting all over the board”? Seriously?

I think the mods should tell the people who are SO annoyed with it to put me on ignore. Problem solved.

Although I agree, I doubt it would work. Some people are going to act like children, and they have to be treated like children.

See above. It’s not threadshitting, and I’m not looking to pad my posts. FFS, the anger and ire that this little phrase is drawing is completely out of proportion to how often it’s appeared, and how it is used.

Get a grip, people.

People that say “lol” are annoying as well.

Are people who say “I laughed out loud” annoying as well?

If they do so as a “catchphrase”, yes. I have no dog in this fight, and to tell the truth only saw it once, but if you are going to keep doing so even after being told it is annoying, then you are being childish.

It seems innocuous but as I stated above it sets a precedent. If very poster did this shit the board would soon become unreadable.

You know it’s annoying yet you persist.You know it derails threads and you don’t care. That’s threadshitting.

Isn’t throwing stuff in a quarry littering? Isn’t littering illegal? I didn’t think the SDMB condoned promotion of illicit activity.

Bo - Can you provide links showing where you have replied with only “LOL” to a thread?

The search feature says the phrase “LOL” is too short to search for.

Did you have a point you were going to make with this?

Should we ban “+1”?

How about “^”?

What about posts that are just a smiley?

Again, the reaction to this is just insane. It’s an innocuous phrase. There’s nothing offensive or confrontational or jerkish about it, yet some people are acting like I was spewing blood and profanity non-stop while wishing death on everyone.

In fact, now people are trying to blame me for the way that other people hijack threads to bitch about it, as if I somehow made people interject their vitriol.

Is the board being taken over by the Tea Party or something?

ETA: Is the Ignore feature broken or something? Is there a reason no one just puts me on ignore?

A key difference is that when Shodan makes a post, there’s something to it beyond his “regards.” He makes a normal post like anyone else and then includes that little signature. A lot of Bo’s posts have been purely “Let’s throw stuff in the quarry” or whatever.

Which isn’t to say I mind. It annoys me on principle but whenever I see it I usually can’t help but laugh (knowing he’s pissing people off by doing it just makes it funnier to me).

Good idea! While we’re at it, let’s try to get him to start smoking! :cool: